Black Entertainment : Does Beyonce have to play EVERY black female biographical role?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by CreativeGrl, Apr 24, 2011.

1. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    What is with this trend of having Beyonce play EVERY black female biographical role being put on the big screen lately?
    First she played the Diana Ross character in Dreamgirls, then she was chosen to play Etta James. Then Aretha Franklin came out and said she wanted Beyonce to play her in a movie about her life (come on son, seriously? lol), and now I see that she may also be first in line to play Angela Davis.

Now, I have nothing against Beyonce. I really don't. I'm glad she's doing her thing, but let's be real. Is she REALLY the best choice to play these people? I think the only reason she was chosen for these roles is that the powers that be in Hollywood are all about making the big bucks. Think about it. She's not nearly as expensive to hire as Halle Berry, but still has the name and face recognition to bring in the big bucks. She also has major crossover appeal (translation: white people will pay to see her movies too).

Now, I admit, her character in Dreamgirls was an ok fit. I don't think playing a Diana Ross type character was much of a stretch for her. But Etta James? Seriously? She is the last person I would have chose.

I saw a video of her singing "At Last" as Etta James and I just wasn't buying it at all. Etta was brash, bold, and unpredictable, the complete opposite of Beyonce. Personally, I would have loved to see Jill Scott play the role. She's got the body type, the bold attitude, the acting skills, and the booming voice to pull it off. But I digress. And don't even get me started on Beyonce playing Angela Davis. Ughhh!

I don't know, am I the only one who's sick and tired of hearing her name pop up to play every famous black female?

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I think the reason WHY she is chosen to play these roles is because of who she is....And the fact is that young people, especially young black folks, will go see her in these roles of people who are not really recognized in this day and era amongst the youth.