Black People : DOES ANYONE SEW?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Greetings All,

I have an idea and I was wondering if anybody knew how to sew, especially flags. I don't know the first thing about it. The Creator has given me an idea I want to put into action.

Ase!
    Blackbird

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Brother Blackbird, I can't wait to read about your idea. I USED to sew but haven't in years and still consider myself a novice. I hope someone else is a master of that craft so we can see what your idea is all about! :jumping:

3. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Afrikan Betsy Ross

Yes, Queen. Thanks. It's a simple minute marketing ploy to impact Afrikan consciousness - hoping to inspire a renewal of Afrikan national identity and Black solidarity. My former business partner, who was a marketing major and a top pharma sales rep, would always say the objective is "not to place the product on the people's minds, but the people's minds on the product."

The plan is to create these products and go on an aggressive nationwide marketing campaign, especially in the inner-city urban markets. My background is anthro so we had to study semiotics (the study of symbols and signs) and it is this knowledge that remains the centerpiece of the project.

So does anyone know how to sew? Hint: Become the next or the Afrikan "Betsy Ross."

Ase!
    Blackbird

4. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Ummmm . . .

Is there anyone out there in the community that can sew or at least want to learn how to? I hope this isn't a dying craft among our people.

Blackbird, you've peaked my curiousity about a flag. Please tell me if you know. How does a country select the colors and design of their national flag? I never thought of this before until you started this thread.

Queenie :spinstar:

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    as i was growing up i was a momma boy i learn how to sew // clean house and
    I have my mom sewing machine a (singer) i learn how to zig zag //cross tie and a few
    other ways i've help my mom make my little sister prom dress with a pattern my mother use to sew for a living at a clothing store call coupon , i also use to wash hair for her in her beauty shop so i can braid and curl hair too ..it was some of the trades i learn but forgot the major one how to cook !!!! funny how a man can sew clean do hair but can't cook .....yes i can sew..

6. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    The Glue

Queen, I hope not. We have so many wonderful traditions and special craftspeople in our communities. We have grandma quilt-maker, brother iron-worker, uncle jewelry-smith, auntie painter and so much more. I think we need to form apprenticeships so these things will not become dead crafts for our people. In this vein, I envision, maybe through some of our more wealthy funding, an Institute of Afrikan-America Craft or Black Americana. We must keep these things alive. I think they help to form and shape the pulse of our people. No nation passively allows the unique skills of its people to fade into eternity.

On the flag, I'm no expert, but basically, from my understanding, the colors and design represent the ideals and values, as well as, the cultural ikons eluding to some sense of the mythic origin of a people. The flag is the cultural and social glue of a nation if you will.

Have you noticed most European flags have a similar color scheme. The flags usually draw a combination of red, white and blue or red and white or blue and white. Red is usually "valor", white is "people or nation" and blue is related to the skies or "freedom."

The Japanese flag is a red circle in a white background. The circle represents the sun and the Japanese call it "Hinomaru" or "circle of the sun." The symbolism is associated with the rising sun and also the sun at its highest potency. The Japanese ideal is to become the "light of the world", progressive in their outlook and advancing in their orientation.

Correctly, a flag is intended to promote national history and to invoke the citizen's emotion and advance solidarity. A flag must also be aesthetically appealing. I remember attending the Million Man March and seeing the different flags flying. I felt a strong emotion inside of pride and worth. I was like "these are the flags of My people and they are beautiful." "My people, beautiful Black people."

Color therapy is especially important. The effect or impact of color upon one's consciousness is well-documented. We add to this culturally-relevant symbols and we have a powerful conveyer of messages that speak on a person's subconscious level - below the radar. Think about the Red, Black and Green. But, mostly paramount, the effectiveness is its visibility to the principle, people or nation it represents or symbolizes. The American flag would have no cultural value in Americana if it was stuffed in a desk and only came out or flown on the presidential inaugaration. However, the flag is pervasive. It is flown at every governmental building in the country, at all places of national and international travel, is associated with a holiday, is used as a color scheme for major businesses (especially franchises), worn on clothes (even designer name-tag ikon) - well basically the flag is everywhere - constantly reinforcing America and what it supposedly stand for in your consciousness clandestinely. The American flag is so powerful that it is used in marketing and advertising. Imagine the Japanese flag used in this country for such - can you imagine the backlash and they are supposedly allies.

I hope this suffice - as you know I write forever.

Ase!
    Blackbird

7. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    So true

Yes, I can imagine the backlash. Let's recall the recent controversy around the Confederate Flag and African Americans who are vehemently opposed to it being flown outside government buildings because it symbolizes a time in America when Africans and their descendents were legally discriminated against. Just seeing that flag reverberates intense emotions among those who are among the oppressors and among those who are oppressed.

Queenie :spinstar:

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    to answer the question

By hand...I guess I'm what they call a professional. I have been sewing leather and cloth for 15 years now...and it's quite possible that you may have seen my work and not knew it was mine. I've done ankhs, stars and cresents, five percenter flags and anything tha could be sewn and stuffed. One work I'm very proud of is "THE UTCHET". But to reconfirm...yes I sew.

9. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hello all,

I decided to revisit this thread. The idea I have is creating, once again, asafo-inspired flags using a concept known in some hermetic traditions as "flashing colors." What I envision are flags, governed by the Nguzo Saba principle Kuumba. These flags would use Adinkra symbols, signifiying "ethical existence and generativity." Below each adinkra symbol would be emblazoned the word/concept each symbol reflects/represents. The idea is to fly these flags in conspicous places in our communities with the intent that as passer-bys travel past them eventually the symbolic representation and concept will began to penetrate their consciousness. These could be used as socialization tools for the young, inculcating them into the principles of a healthy Afrikan nationhood. Black people in America represent a nation, in the strictest sense of the word, and it is my belief that we should began to see ourselves as members of said nation. The United Sates is not a nation; it is a state. A Nation means a collective group of people that share a common origin, history, language and culture. A State is a political entity with the means to enforce its power. Any anthropologist will tell you there's a big difference between the two terms and what they represent. Currently, there are many more nations than there are states. States can be composed of many nations, as such is the case in the U.S.

The concept is developed with the idea of impacting and affecting consciousness. Before we begin anything, reminiscent of nationbuilding, we must realign and center the consciousness of our people into that of a national consciousness. This springs forth from a national identity that has been defined. Flashing colors is a concept that says when two complimentary colors are placed together, they momentarily produce what seems like to be a flash. The mystical traditions believe this can attract or pull in the respective energies conducive to a stated purpose or task. In this manner, blue corresponds with orange. Emerald green corresponds with a scarlet red. Placing colors like these, "flashing colors", together also increases the attractiveness of an object to the human eye, thus making the object noticeable and memorable. Placing a word written in neon green on a background of hot pink can burn the message into the mind. The effects of this are subtle, however, so is advertising and many other forms of marketing. The results of such an endeavor are what validate its worth and measure the feasibility of its use. Again, in conjunction with this, there would be a simultaneous effort of canvassing the targeted communities of its introduction, where initmate discussion would be focused on the social problems of each respective community and the possible remedy for these ills. As those who are in the "know" or "consciousness", visibility must be crucial to provide that alternative solution, at the level of grassroot identification, involvment and participation. Many times I've noticed how some so-called "conscious" people tend to alienate the people they live with and by. We need to actively integrate the worlds, without losing the voice and integrity that is needed to enhance and improve the quality of life and vision required to be thriving enterprising and engaging communities.

Lastly, if at the very least, I believe these flags can provide color to otherwise colorless environments. Let's bask in Kuumba, using our creativity to resurrect consciousness among those that have been zombified and devise crafty solutions to the socio-economic problems confronting us.

Ase!
    Blackbird

10. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    No, Blackbird I don't sew; but I wish that I knew how.
    I think that your idea is a great one.
    There are many Blacks here in the south who do crafts; I never forgot this older guy who used to take strips of metal and stones and make rings for people.

I paint cards that depict Our lives-- inspirational things like that...
    I think your idea is great.

Now how to We implement this?