Black Entertainment : does anyone listen to jazz?

James, that is a loaded question(smile!)

First of all, are you referring to Traditional African American Jazz, Latin Jazz, or this so-called "cool jazz", which I don't think is JAZZ at all???

I started a thread on Latin music, where real instruments are still used, and the tradition remains alive... I started another thread on Classic Soul & Rhythm and Blues, where real instruments were used... I say, than God we still do have Jazz, and in some places, the Blues... Young people are now consumed with their beats, and with rap poems/lyrics... They are not nearly as interested in instrumental music as we were, because that is all that we knew...

Of course, brother KenteMojo and Sista SweetBrownSugar are young people who are definitely into instrumental music, and have eclectic tastes... My boys Manasiac and Therious can do without it - I think(smile!) I'm sure they will weigh in on this... I wont knock what they like... I know I dig what Charlie Parker and John Coltrane could do with their saxophones... When you hear these brothers, you know it is them whether you've ever heard the song or not... They had such unique voices on their instruments...

Of course, I am a drummer, and I dig drummers... Art Blakey, Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Mongo Santamaria, Willie Bobo, Carlos Patato Valdez, Francisco Aguabella, and Poncho Sanchez... I dig Cal Tjaeder and Lionel Hampton on the vibes, Eddie Palmieri and Perruchin in AfroLatinJazz piano, Ray Brown, Milt Hinton, Jimmy Garrison, Ron Carter, and Cachao on stand-up Bass, and Motown's James Jamerson on fender/electric Bass... I love my man Jimmy Smith on the Hammond B-3 organ - especially when he teams up with Kenny Burrell on electric guitar, and they funk up/churchify them blues(Whew Lawd!) On the Trombones, I dig my man, Papo Vazquez and a new cat named Jimmy Bosch... In AfroCuban Jazz, there's a brother named Alfredo De La Fe(FAY)who will have you slithering out of your chair like a snake, as he gets busy on his violin... The man is straight awesome...

Do I like jazz, do I like instrumental music??? Unequivocably, YES, James!(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

Jazz is pretty much all I listen to...or at least I keep the Jazz station and jazz cd's on at work. I wasn't always a fan of jazz but when the streets in Seattle started getting congested about 10 years ago...I found that listening to rap music dang near gave me road rage. Jazz music has grown on me so much and so has my collection.

Now I'm addicted to Jazz...and only listen to old school soul, or a few of the "neo-soul" artists. Those three genre of music keep me in a mellow mood.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back