Black Entertainment : does anyone listen to jazz?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by jamesfrmphilly, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    it seems as though the young people have no use for instrumental music.
    how sad.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    James, that is a loaded question(smile!)

First of all, are you referring to Traditional African American Jazz, Latin Jazz, or this so-called "cool jazz", which I don't think is JAZZ at all???

I started a thread on Latin music, where real instruments are still used, and the tradition remains alive... I started another thread on Classic Soul & Rhythm and Blues, where real instruments were used... I say, than God we still do have Jazz, and in some places, the Blues... Young people are now consumed with their beats, and with rap poems/lyrics... They are not nearly as interested in instrumental music as we were, because that is all that we knew...

Of course, brother KenteMojo and Sista SweetBrownSugar are young people who are definitely into instrumental music, and have eclectic tastes... My boys Manasiac and Therious can do without it - I think(smile!) I'm sure they will weigh in on this... I wont knock what they like... I know I dig what Charlie Parker and John Coltrane could do with their saxophones... When you hear these brothers, you know it is them whether you've ever heard the song or not... They had such unique voices on their instruments...

Of course, I am a drummer, and I dig drummers... Art Blakey, Max Roach, Elvin Jones, Mongo Santamaria, Willie Bobo, Carlos Patato Valdez, Francisco Aguabella, and Poncho Sanchez... I dig Cal Tjaeder and Lionel Hampton on the vibes, Eddie Palmieri and Perruchin in AfroLatinJazz piano, Ray Brown, Milt Hinton, Jimmy Garrison, Ron Carter, and Cachao on stand-up Bass, and Motown's James Jamerson on fender/electric Bass... I love my man Jimmy Smith on the Hammond B-3 organ - especially when he teams up with Kenny Burrell on electric guitar, and they funk up/churchify them blues(Whew Lawd!) On the Trombones, I dig my man, Papo Vazquez and a new cat named Jimmy Bosch... In AfroCuban Jazz, there's a brother named Alfredo De La Fe(FAY)who will have you slithering out of your chair like a snake, as he gets busy on his violin... The man is straight awesome...

Do I like jazz, do I like instrumental music??? Unequivocably, YES, James!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    i guess i'm the only one, oh well........ :x:

4. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Jazz is pretty much all I listen to...or at least I keep the Jazz station and jazz cd's on at work. I wasn't always a fan of jazz but when the streets in Seattle started getting congested about 10 years ago...I found that listening to rap music dang near gave me road rage. Jazz music has grown on me so much and so has my collection.

Now I'm addicted to Jazz...and only listen to old school soul, or a few of the "neo-soul" artists. Those three genre of music keep me in a mellow mood.

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    that's three of us so far.
    maybe we can start a movement. :toast:

6. Shelley101

Shelley101 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I love jazz. I'm still discovering a lot of the classics. I also dig Latin Jazz like Pancho Sanchez, Chick Corea and Gato Barbieri. I appreciate the newer 'smooth' forms of jazz like Boney James, Warren Hill, etc. I'm just having a hard time in considering that new cat Jaime Cullum as a jazz artist. It's more 'jazzy' to me.

7. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    Sure I do.

Sir I checked you profile and a thread telling you age so the jazz you probably listen to is not the same as today's evolved more mellow jazz. One of the members of my church is a homie of mine and he's about your age. One of this things he says about the Jazz of today is there's no "throwing down" in the musical. I thought that was funny. But just to let you know I feel you, I grew up and still listen to artist like Miles or Trane or Dizzy. I also feel that Monk was a musical genius way ahead of his time. Trane and Miles without a shadow of a doubt are my favorite. I also dig Eddie Harris and Dave Brubek. Let's not forget Bird and Cannoball Adderly. I could name probably a 100 jazz artists that I enjoy but being for Chicago there will always be a special place in my heart for the blues, especially Muddy Waters. That's another post though.

Peace

Radical Faith

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    wrong, i listen to everything.

i am worried that the young people and the people on this site have no appreciation for instrumental music.
    i have never seem an instrumental on BET.

what does that say about the level of sophistication and intelligence and education of a group of people who are unable to appreciate the concept of instrumental music?

i have serious doubts about someone who can do nothing but shake their booty.

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    give me some donald bird...sun ra...roy ayers....chic correa...miles davis...horrace silver any day of da week....word
    one love
    khasm