Black Spirituality Religion : DOES ANYONE HERE WEAR SOMETHING?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by SAMURAI36, Jul 27, 2005.

1. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Does anyone who considers themselves spiritual, religious, or otherwise, wear any sort of charm, artifact, symbol, etc to express their faith/philosophy/belief/culture?

If so, please share with us what it is, and what it means to you, and any history/background about it.

For me, it's my Silver Ankh.

I first purchased this for $5US in Egypt, during my first visit there, and I had been wearing it ever since. I have lost it a few times, only for it to find its way back to me each time.

Eventually, it broke in half (just under the wings), so I had it melted down and bonded with a stronger silver-steel mesh. I have had it ever since; almost 15 years now.

PEACE

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I wear a brass, presented to me by a brother named Hru Ankh Ra (Semajh) Se Ptah, 1981 in Brooklyn New York.

I was given a Kemetin name, and was taught to never let my Ankh dull, that by keeping in shining I would be reminded was strong in spirit and strive for perfection and oneness with the creator

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    i normally wear:
    an ankh ring
    a yin yang ring.
    a scorpio neck lace.
    a red, black and green wristband.
    a red, yellow and green wristband.

it's not hard to tell where i'm coming from.

4. SUN OF RA

SUN OF RA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Systems Engineer
    Ratings:
    +6
    For me, it's a silver Ankh and a variety of "Kufis".

:picture:

5. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have a silver Ankh with gold trim.. i found it in my great aunts jewelry box.. she died before i was born but ive worn it every sense.. I literally wear.. on my skin that is The Eye of Ra... on my wrist.. i carved this in at 14.. and had it prefesionally tuched up 2 years ago.. the ra... is a reminder there is no pleasure w/o pain.. no light without dark.. the Ankh.. or course is sortas as a tribute to a great woman i never knew.. and my life strength and overall health... and the ability to overcome.. becasue she wasnt able to!

6. Nubian One

Nubian One Well-Known Member MEMBER

Fulltime Student & Sexual Health Educator
    Ratings:
    +11
    I too have a sterling silver ANKH ring that I wear everyday. I've been frantically searching for another one. I want my ANKH to be a lil bigger..I have a cowrie shell necklace that I had for about 4 years and a whole host of cowrie shell assesories from chokers to belts..

I don't wear colorful flashy jewerly .. I tend to keep my accessories subtle. I wear a lot of natural or earthy looking jewerly. I dont wear Gold.. I only wear silver, and at times bronze.

Like James aka Jimmy from Philly :spin: I too have various wristbands that I wear.. red/geen/blk, yellow/green/blk, red/yellow/green etc etc..

7. plainrhythm

plainrhythm Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    i have different cloths i wear to cover my head... with patterns of red yellow and green or red black and green. wooden bracelet made in Ethiopia, with a carving of Haile Selassie.

8. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    I wear no jewelry or symbolic items that represents my faith. I let my actions and words speak for my faith. I don't wear clothes with pictures of people on them either. I don't wear pins, buttons or ribbons identifying me with a cause or charity. When you see me I am who I am straight up. I feel my faith can't be worn on my body nor can my faith be held in my hands. These are purely my own views. I don't expect anyone else to share them......

Peace..........

9. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    Silver ankh from 5 generations of blak Queens in my family from Ethiopia

Cowrie shells/chokers/anklets/etc... from da island Queens in my family

RBG wristband= RED: for the blood shed BLAK: for our people GREEN: for our motherland

RYG wristband= Ethiopian inspired "Panafrica" represented

dont wear em ALL at once but you will never find me without my ankh & my shells & my RBG wristband

But of course what speaks the loudest is my character...I count on that to do the work the rest just seems to follow... :look:

10. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    In faith, I feel it not necessary to wear anything symbolizing my faith and beliefs, but I believe it best to dress modestly. I don't go for anything flashy, but things comfortable and more convenient.