Black People : Does anyone eat at Denny's?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by UBNaturally, Nov 2, 2014.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    This is an old article, but made me ponder a few things

August 26, 2013

South Carolina Restaurant Refuses To Serve Black Patrons — Denny’s Redux

By Joe Patrice
    [​IMG]

Late last week, Michael Brown and 24 of his friends and family met at a Charleston, South Carolina restaurant for a farewell party for his cousin. After waiting about two hours for a table, a shift manager at the Wild Wing Cafe told the party to leave. Did I mention these folks were black? Oh, well, they were black. And why weren’t they getting seated?

Continue reading...

I'm am wondering how they typically handled a party of 25 people that may not have pre-set reservations though?

The article goes on to bring up past incidences from Denny's just to tie in the history of denied service from food vendors or depots.

It took a federal civil right action in the 1990s to address a prior spate of behavior like what happened at the Charleston Wild Wing (not to be confused with Buffalo Wild Wings).[2] Stepping into the WABAC machine and returning to the early 1990s, when the Cyrus family was better known for country music than twerking, another restaurant chain — also headquartered in South Carolina — had a pesky discrimination problem of its own:

In one instance, a black Federal judge from Houston and his wife who had been traveling for 18 hours said they were forced to wait at a Denny’s in Yreka, Calif., for almost an hour as white teen-agers taunted them and referred to them as “*******.”

In another case, six black Secret Service agents assigned to President Clinton’s detail were refused a table at a Denny’s in Annapolis. Md., while their white Secret Service colleagues were seated and served.

For more than three years Denny’s, a subsidiary of Flagstar Companies of Spartanburg, S.C., has been the target of growing complaints that its restaurants segregated blacks or required them to pre-pay or make various payments not required of white patrons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    What was the ratio of sit-ins where participants were denied service and those that were served?
    Did they pre-pay in order to be served?

That is part one of this "pondering thought"

For the most part, sit-ins were an attempt to desegregate lunch counters and diners.

Part two of this thought is, did or does anyone enjoy and trust this service after being rejected, only for them to reluctantly offer it?

Side note, this image came to mind from one of the above images

[​IMG]

I said it was a Sidenote didn't I?

2. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Nope. That place is gross.

3. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Well I know a few people that have been to Denny's within the past year, and anytime I hear someone claim that they went I often pose an internal question within my mind "Why?"

To me this would be akin to going to Jack Kevorkian for a flu shot after he was released from prison in 2007.
    There's some history there that should make someone hesitate I would think, but maybe that's just me.

4. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Nah it isn't just you. I think of the high calories they have in almost everything. I am very watchful about high calorie things. Plus the customer service has been known to be below par, so it's a good thing I don't eat there anyway.

5. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    But my follow-up question, as it also alludes to the sit-ins and boycotts of Woolworths and other eateries at a time when serving the public was based on politics and not really human reasoning...

If Denny's were to openly oppose "people of color" from frequenting their business, would you desire to protest by going there to eat until they changed their policy?

And if they decided to finally serve you, would you eat it without reservations?

6. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I agree with your OP and what the article said. What stood out was the part about some (added word)liberals and their double standards. I remember when they said that the bill that Ron Paul's son was trying to get passed would lead to this type of treatment. But he it is the bill failed and it's being done any way for the same reason...color.

Also, I eat at Denny's around where I live and so far, I've always gotten good service. I would be skewing the facts if I didn't say that this has not been the case with all Dennys. I ate at one over in the next town that had me and mine wait to the point that I got up and asked the manager what was the problem. She then seated us at a not so clean table which isn't saying anything because many of the tables needed to be cleaned. After sitting about another 10 minutes and being ignored, we left. But I could say that it was done due to me being black, but it's not clear because according to an adjacent restaurant, they treat many of their customers that way which is why their business has great increased, and theirs (Dennys) was on the verge of closing which it did shortly after that.

Peace!

7. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    No, because if they openly denied people of colour, I'm sure the restaurant would end up closed simply because it's against federal law.

8. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Also, you couldn't file lawsuits back then like you can now. Is the restaurant still open?

9. legit-writer

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I know back in the late 80's early 90 Denny's discrimination go national attention, I think this Denny's that is in Lakewood was one of those that was in that news segment.

BTW, I don't go to that one, I've heard too many stories of the same nature about that one.

Peace!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dennys and black people

2. do black people eat at dennys

3. do black people eat at dennys in concord nc

4. dennys segregated