Science and Technology : Does anybody want to explore linux?

brother Malik said:
Thanks for the info. Can you tell the family what you believe are the benefits of linux over windows?
ok, you did ask for my opinion. there are other reasons that others have put forth. one site i ran across today lists 25 reasons to convert to linux, but that's them; you asked for mine.

1) malware. yeah, sure; folks have said/will say that "if linux were in use as much as windows, it would be vulnerable too." i don't believe that to be true due to the way they are built.

2) windows is a single user OS that has been patched, tweaked and "MUNGed" (mangled until no good) into doing network stuff. linux/open source operating systems have been built from the ground up for [inter]networking. (frankly; microsoft uses the FreeBSD tcp/ip stack for it's networking functionality - it didn't code it's own.)

3) costs much less - to acquire; requires more thinking to set up. but thinking is actually good for you.

4) mental exercise. thinking outside of the box, as well as waking up them brain cells.

5) a minor jab at the entrenched order of things.

6) "do it yourselfing" is fun!!

ibrahim said:
Brother.
I have the Ubuntu LiveCD but don't know how to use.
I also have the installation CD as well.
I want to use the LiveCD but don't know how.
Could you please help.
i browsed through and saw these responses and just felt like it would be really appropriate to fire up the live cd to answer! :)

have you tried it? how far did you get?

when the puter first boots up with the live cd in place, you'll come to a boot screen. please do read everything that you can get to from there!! true enough; there are gonna be a lot of words and concepts that are gonna look like complete gibberish. but DO believe that you can make sense of them!

just hitting the enter key when that boot screen comes up will get the ball rolling.

however, the purpose of that boot screen is to give you options to configure a few things before you start:

on my computer, since i don't have any PCMCIA devices (laptop stuff, generally), i'll add the boot parameter hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false.

(also, the computers on my lan all have static ip addresses, so i don't need dhcp (dynamic host control protocol). however, many, if not most, ISPs give out dynamic ip addresses. (your provider will tell your computer what it's address is.) if you can fire up the live cd and click the blue globe (firefox) on the top panel and get to the internet, it's all configured for you.)

in this case, at the boot screen, type in "live hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false" (without the quotes) and hit enter.

truthfully, it really doesn't hurt a whole lot to just use the default settings by just pressing enter. turning off stuff, or rather, telling ubuntu not to install stuff just allows more room in ram for running things.

er ... just thought of something: will your computer boot from the CD if there is one in the drive when the computer comes on? that will definitely slow you down if not!

while the computer is booting, press the delete key to get to the BIOS setup. it might be under advanced options, peripheral setup or it could even be simple like boot options; somewhere in there is a page that allows you to set the order of which device the computer will boot from first, second, third and/or fourth.

if that setting is available, make the necessary change and press F10 to exit, being sure to save changes. if that option is not there, or if it does not need to be changed, press esc and do not save changes. be very careful!! while it is possible to recover from BIOS boo-boos, it usually involves opening your computer.

jamesfrmphilly said:
will linux photoshop?
not being a graphics person, i don't know.

as i said, however, the gimp does a lot of stuff - but i don't know quite how "photoshop-ish" it is.

there might even be a port of the gimp to the windows platform. heck, for that matter, there might be a port of photoshop for linux.

but, again; i don't know.

(on the other hand; there are efforts to allow windows apps to run "natively" on linux using wine, winex, cedega and crossover.)

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back