Black Spirituality Religion : Documentary on People's views of African Religions

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Angel Wings, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Angel Wings

Angel Wings Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13
    I'm currently working on a documentary about African religions and people's perceptions of them. It amazes me how much, we all seem so clueless about this and many of us complete denial.

Unfortunately being based in the UK I've been only able to get Uk speakers and I luckily managed to get some great footage and interviews with medicine men and women whilst on holid in Ghana.

It would have been nice to open up the debate more as I've found in the diaspora those in the US seem to have reconnected more with their ancestral roots.

The film aims to cover issues such as:

The impact of colonialism on these ancestral beliefs
    Whether there is as spiritual consequence on discontinuing these practices
    What part has media/hollywood played on shaping peoples opinions on the topic
    Whether you taught these beliefs in the home or learnt for self

The film will get a general overview from various people, plus here from those who know it best.

I would love to hear others in this forum opinions on the issues above and their own perspectives.

2. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    This is a good project, I'm interested and I am in the UK. Do I have to be on camera? I am a bit shy:qqb023:

3. Angel Wings

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Amnat77,

Thanks for the response at the moment I'm not recording anymore interviews as I have around 30 so far and am still in the logging stage so have much work to do going through all the usable parts and thats before even starting the edit.

Once that process is done I may need a couple more people who can add to things that haven't already been said. These will be carried out on camera

Out of interest what is your current faith and African origin? At the moment I have a lot of West African speakers, so if to film more I would be more interested in South and East African spiritual traditions.

4. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    Even though I'm not religious,I don't believe in God, and as you can tell by my name and avatar,I believe in a different type of creator. But that's not to say that I'm not interested in religion that is ours,the thing is,it's too many of them. Long time ago I read a little of Bushongo Mythology because the creation of the heavens is what grabbed my attention.

Peace!

5. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622
    Ok...West Africa so probably have enough of that sample...

6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Angel Wings,

Props for taking to task the subject regarding afrikan (non abrahamic)
    religions.

I trust it to be thought provoking and enlightening.

To folks come to mind whose knowledge regard many afrikan religions, whom
    you may want to establish contact with is:

Pro. james small:
    http://www.africawithin.com/small/small_bio.htm
    He has appeared on show on blog radio, where he has
    given contact info. Check him out.

Dr. marimbi ani

She has appeared on:
    http://www.libradio.com/

Get in contact with the folks over in libradio and
    they may put you in contact with her.

7. Angel Wings

Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Raptor I'll follow it up.

The film is basically speaking to normal everyday people about their views and opinions, however it would be good to get some well known/well learned people on the topic too to also give their informed opinion.

At present I have around 30 interviews, which in itself is more than enough to complete a film so now have to be ruthless with any remaining interviews, one thing its proven that its a hot topic and many have much to say so may even have to make two movies to get everyone's opinion in (I'll see).

As mentioned earlier what I ideally would like are views from South African's and knowledge of Sangoma's and East African's who can make correlations with their beliefs and the Abrahamic faiths that we know of today.

In addition to the UK interviews there's also interviews with a few shamen in Ghana, as they give insight into ritual and their beliefs.

There is an online facebook page about it, but as I''m new I'm unable to post the link. You can check out the page "Ancestral Voices: Esoteric African Knowledge" if you want to follow the progress of the film. I hope to complete a trailer within the next 3 weeks. I can't wait to get this out there but there is soooooooooooooooooooo much work to be done, I'm still in the paper edit phase and am logging all the key statements from the interviews and then will have to move into the edit phase and putting everything today, it will take months to complete, but the topic so desperately needs to be explored and discussed. The film is not for profit so will be putting online as soon as complete.

I will keep you posted and thanks for all the feedback.

8. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560