Black People : Do you wear your seat belt or make your passengers wear seat belts?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by rapunzal24, Feb 6, 2012.

1. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I have been hearing of far too many dying from not having there seat belts on, and it is alarming. When my big brother, father and godmother get in my car I have to make them put their seat belts on. I am beginning to wonder if this is a common occurrence. Do you where a seat belt, and do you make your passengers where them? If you do or don't where did you learn your habit from?

2. rapunzal24

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I forgot to answer my own question. I learned my habit from my mother, whenever we got in the car, seat belts were not an option. To this day I do not feel comfortable in my car without a seat belt on.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I do wear seat belts, and encourage others to do the same if riding with me.

It's the law in most states i think, and the last thing this Black person needs is a reason for the police to pull her over.

Just leave me alone please ... :)

:heart:

Destee

4. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    when i first started driving, i was encouraged to wear my seat belt. sometimes i did. sometimes i didn't. when i joined the military--air force--it was mandatory on base. i lived on base. it wasn't until i was in an accident, and experienced how seat beats save you, that i became big on wearing seatbelts. in most states, wearing seat belts is the law. in california, the driver is responsible for ensuring all riders under age sixteen wear their seatbelts...or get ticketed. in mississippi, the driver is responsible for ensuring all riders wear their seat belts...or get ticketed. different other states vary between these two. everyone should know what their state, and any other state they will be driving in, requires. these days, in most states, seatbelt use has become a primary offense...meaning the police can stop you just for not wearing your seatbelt. since that took effect, more people have been using seatbelts. i use them religiously.

5. rapunzal24

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I know that they will definitely pull you over in Chicago if you don't have your seat belt on. I just began to notice that a lot of my brothers aren't wearing them, I just wonder why? It can save your life. You are right Destee, we do not need another reason to get pulled over.

When I was in the service they really didn't monitor it...wait a minute....maybe they did. I guess I really don't know since I always had the belt on.

Someone in Chicago hit someone head on, and they were not wearing a seat belt. I think 4 people died, and the driver had just come from a super bowl party. He made a u turn and hit someone. He didn't have his seat belt on, it didn't say if the other passengers or the driver of the other car had one on. It is just so sad.

6. rapunzal24

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Do you require others in your car to use seatbelts?

7. Dre Money

Dre Money Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +143
    I forget to wear my seatbelt a lot. A lot of times I put my seatbelt on several minutes into driving. I used to always wear it, but nowadays I don't care.

8. baller

baller Well-Known Member MEMBER

Canada
    Ratings:
    +836
    yes. again, the driver is responsible for those in the car. i refuse to get ticketed because someone doesn't like the feel of a seatbelt. if they're not willing, they have to find another way to get to where they want to be.

9. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Yes, i wear my seat belt these days and i make whoevers in the front seat put theirs on too. If anyone hops in the back seat, it's on them. I didn't wear it years ago before it became a law in NY and it took a while to get used to doing after it became a law.

Though i admit that i get annoyed at how it wrinkles my shirts, so if you ever see me driving by i'm the guy with no shirt on because it's on a hanger neatly placed on one of the hooks in the back.....;)

10. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317

Yeah, wear mine every time. I learned my habit from when I was a small child, and the vehicle I was in had gotten into a minor car accident. I wasn't wearing one then, and was chided for not doing so, though no one ever stressed it, as far as I remember. Since then, I've made sure to wear my seat belt each time, and remind anyone who isn't wearing theirs.