Black People : Do you understand cognitive dissonance? Can you give some examples of it?

Enki ... thank you ... i can see your examples, as well as ... "where emotion and logic part" ... Thank You!

MimiBelle ... thanks ... but would you mind elaborating ... since i don't know what agnostic or theist really mean ... where exactly would the dissonance occur?

Please Family ... keep 'em coming ... 'cause for some reason ... my mind just doesn't want to grasp this easily ... and the more examples i have ... the better it will respond.

Thanks a Bunch!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... This example may be a bit profound, but it reflects a serious conflict nonetheless:

Peace In,

Greetings Sister Destee. Good question, and I like Brother Enki's example..we've all been there before. It's a uncomfortable position to be in, and many folks exist with the conflicts, just block it out. However, there comes a time, as with Brother Enki, when you are faced with the burden of reducing or eliminating the dissonance...what a hard thing to do.

We see this being lived out everyday: do I whoop my child as I was raised, do I wear my hair natural as my ancestors did, do I stay home and raise my kids like mama, is the death penalty fair, is abortion murder, is it ok to marry outside of my culture...

I've been faced with many of those decisions and some of them have left me feeling like I was abandoning my faith or culture..but I have found that really, those stretching moments have helped me to identify with the woman God purposed me to be.

I hope this is helpful...hugs!!

Yes Sister ... that does help ... Thank You!

Hmmmm ... it's as if my mind is looking for an easier phrase to refer to these things as, instead of using cognitive dissonance. It seems like a rarely used phrase for events that occur continuously.

Is there some other phrase more commonly used to refer to this same phenomena?

To my mind ... :nuts: ... it's like saying ... Dihydrogen monoxide ... instead of water ... :brickwall:

Leaving it lost and confuzzled ... :)

Thanks!

Destee

... This example may be a bit profound, but it reflects a serious conflict nonetheless:

Peace In,

WOW !!!! ... Great Video Brother Clyde ... Thanks for Sharing it !!! ... :toast:

WOW WOW WOW !!!

That probably does explain some of my struggling.

Thanks Again!

Destee

WOW !!!! ... Great Video Brother Clyde ... Thanks for Sharing it !!! ... :toast:

WOW WOW WOW !!!

That probably does explain some of my struggling.

Thanks Again!

Destee

... Actually, it pertains to the entire class of us, you are not alone Sister Destee, not alone. This condition may very well explain some of what Dyslexia is all about:

There are three proposed cognitive subtypes of dyslexia: auditory, visual and attentional.[7][9][10][11][12][13] Reading disabilities, or dyslexia, is the most common learning disability, although in research literature it is considered to be a receptive language-based learning disability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

Peace In,

Yes Sister ... that does help ... Thank You!

Hmmmm ... it's as if my mind is looking for an easier phrase to refer to these things as, instead of using cognitive dissonance. It seems like a rarely used phrase for events that occur continuously.

Is there some other phrase more commonly used to refer to this same phenomena?

To my mind ... :nuts: ... it's like saying ... Dihydrogen monoxide ... instead of water ... :brickwall:

Leaving it lost and confuzzled ... :)

Thanks!

Destee

You are so right Sister (I love your water example:) )...there has to be an easier way to communicate:eek: I like to say 'double thinking' or 'emotional conflicts':D...This thread reminds me of what my elders would say growin up "You can't walk on both sides of the fence":lol:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back