Black People : Do you understand cognitive dissonance? Can you give some examples of it?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

I'm a bit perplexed by this phrase ... cognitive dissonance ... :look:

cognition : noun: the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning

dissonance : noun: a conflict of people's opinions or actions or characters

I remember the first time i heard it, was in this community, and i found it very difficult to fully understand. Even after others labored with me, all these years later, i'm still not exactly sure about it and would be reluctant to get into any deep conversation regarding it.

Brother OldSoul's Class was on this, and while i feel like i understand better than before ... i'm left thinking ... hmmmm ... i don't really know what this is, to the degree that i could recognize it easily or list many every day examples of it.

So ... i'm coming to you Family ... :)

Do you understand the term, cognitive dissonance, and can you list some every day examples of it that you might experience and/or see?

For some reason ... this is stumping my brain and has for many years ... and i'd like it to be over! :)

Thanks in advance!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

cognition : noun: the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning

I remember the first time i heard it, was in this community, and i found it very difficult to fully understand. Even after others labored with me, all these years later, i'm still not exactly sure about it and would be reluctant to get into any deep conversation regarding it.

Brother OldSoul's Class was on this, and while i feel like i understand better than before ... i'm left thinking ... hmmmm ... i don't really know what this is, to the degree that i could recognize it easily or list many every day examples of it.

Do you understand the term, cognitive dissonance, and can you list some every day examples of it that you might experience and/or see?

For some reason ... this is stumping my brain and has for many years ... and i'd like it to be over! :)

Thanks in advance!

Love You!

Destee

I'll use me as an example. When I started turning from believing in a God and religion I felt guilty because I was turning my back on what I was raised in. I felt guilty and conflicted when I had to choose between me giving my brother weed to ease his pain and my strong beliefs about it.

IMO...It's the point where logic and emotion have a parting of ways and I had to reevaluate and adjust my beliefs to solve these inconsistencies within me.

Peace!

Enki ... thank you ... i can see your examples, as well as ... "where emotion and logic part" ... Thank You!

MimiBelle ... thanks ... but would you mind elaborating ... since i don't know what agnostic or theist really mean ... where exactly would the dissonance occur?

Please Family ... keep 'em coming ... 'cause for some reason ... my mind just doesn't want to grasp this easily ... and the more examples i have ... the better it will respond.

Thanks a Bunch!

Love You!

Destee

Thanks in advance!

Love You!

Destee

Greetings Sister Destee. Good question, and I like Brother Enki's example..we've all been there before. It's a uncomfortable position to be in, and many folks exist with the conflicts, just block it out. However, there comes a time, as with Brother Enki, when you are faced with the burden of reducing or eliminating the dissonance...what a hard thing to do.

We see this being lived out everyday: do I whoop my child as I was raised, do I wear my hair natural as my ancestors did, do I stay home and raise my kids like mama, is the death penalty fair, is abortion murder, is it ok to marry outside of my culture...

I've been faced with many of those decisions and some of them have left me feeling like I was abandoning my faith or culture..but I have found that really, those stretching moments have helped me to identify with the woman God purposed me to be.

I hope this is helpful...hugs!!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back