Black People : Do you understand cognitive dissonance? Can you give some examples of it?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I'm a bit perplexed by this phrase ... cognitive dissonance ... :look:

cognition : noun: the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning

dissonance : noun: a conflict of people's opinions or actions or characters

I remember the first time i heard it, was in this community, and i found it very difficult to fully understand. Even after others labored with me, all these years later, i'm still not exactly sure about it and would be reluctant to get into any deep conversation regarding it.

Brother OldSoul's Class was on this, and while i feel like i understand better than before ... i'm left thinking ... hmmmm ... i don't really know what this is, to the degree that i could recognize it easily or list many every day examples of it.

So ... i'm coming to you Family ... :)

Do you understand the term, cognitive dissonance, and can you list some every day examples of it that you might experience and/or see?

For some reason ... this is stumping my brain and has for many years ... and i'd like it to be over! :)

Thanks in advance!

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,926

I'll use me as an example. When I started turning from believing in a God and religion I felt guilty because I was turning my back on what I was raised in. I felt guilty and conflicted when I had to choose between me giving my brother weed to ease his pain and my strong beliefs about it.

IMO...It's the point where logic and emotion have a parting of ways and I had to reevaluate and adjust my beliefs to solve these inconsistencies within me.

Peace!

3. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    'Agnostic Theists'

*laugh*

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Enki ... thank you ... i can see your examples, as well as ... "where emotion and logic part" ... Thank You!

MimiBelle ... thanks ... but would you mind elaborating ... since i don't know what agnostic or theist really mean ... where exactly would the dissonance occur?

Please Family ... keep 'em coming ... 'cause for some reason ... my mind just doesn't want to grasp this easily ... and the more examples i have ... the better it will respond.

Thanks a Bunch!

Love You!

Destee

5. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    Greetings Sister Destee. Good question, and I like Brother Enki's example..we've all been there before. It's a uncomfortable position to be in, and many folks exist with the conflicts, just block it out. However, there comes a time, as with Brother Enki, when you are faced with the burden of reducing or eliminating the dissonance...what a hard thing to do.

We see this being lived out everyday: do I whoop my child as I was raised, do I wear my hair natural as my ancestors did, do I stay home and raise my kids like mama, is the death penalty fair, is abortion murder, is it ok to marry outside of my culture...

I've been faced with many of those decisions and some of them have left me feeling like I was abandoning my faith or culture..but I have found that really, those stretching moments have helped me to identify with the woman God purposed me to be.

I hope this is helpful...hugs!!

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... This example may be a bit profound, but it reflects a serious conflict nonetheless:

Peace In,

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689

Yes Sister ... that does help ... Thank You!

Hmmmm ... it's as if my mind is looking for an easier phrase to refer to these things as, instead of using cognitive dissonance. It seems like a rarely used phrase for events that occur continuously.

Is there some other phrase more commonly used to refer to this same phenomena?

To my mind ... :nuts: ... it's like saying ... Dihydrogen monoxide ... instead of water ... :brickwall:

Leaving it lost and confuzzled ... :)

Thanks!

Destee

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689

WOW !!!! ... Great Video Brother Clyde ... Thanks for Sharing it !!! ... :toast:

WOW WOW WOW !!!

That probably does explain some of my struggling.

Thanks Again!

Destee

9. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,081

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Actually, it pertains to the entire class of us, you are not alone Sister Destee, not alone. This condition may very well explain some of what Dyslexia is all about:

There are three proposed cognitive subtypes of dyslexia: auditory, visual and attentional.[7][9][10][11][12][13] Reading disabilities, or dyslexia, is the most common learning disability, although in research literature it is considered to be a receptive language-based learning disability.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

Peace In,

10. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +879
    You are so right Sister (I love your water example:) )...there has to be an easier way to communicate:eek: I like to say 'double thinking' or 'emotional conflicts':D...This thread reminds me of what my elders would say growin up "You can't walk on both sides of the fence":lol: