Black People : Do You Think We're Headed for Another Ice Age?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Feb 9, 2010.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Different people have different theories about the snow blizzard that is burying the D.C. area right now. This is more snow than they've had in 90 years and Obama has called it the "snowmageddon."

I talked to my family that lives there and they say they can't see their cars. My aunt Shirley has an s.u.v. type truck and she says it looks like a large bump in the snow. Then while it is too cold for that snow to melt the weather burgeon says they are doe for from 8 to 10 inches more snow today. The city is basically shut down and Obama gave government employees administrative leave. Whole sections of the city are without electricity because of snow weighing down the power lines. At least one man suffered a heart attack trying to shovel snow off his walkway and two people were killed by a tractor tailor when they stopped to help a stranded motorist. Sounds like the snow storm from hell.

Seme folks say this is a result of global warming in the arctic that is releasing fresh water from ice glaciers into the ovean psetting the mechanism that brings warm air up the eastern coast. Some may say this is the new ice age that's been predicted at least since 1974. Still again I wonder if mybe some so-called under developed country may have found a way to tap into HAARP and is paying us back for what was done to Haiti. This could be El Nino. Then again it hasn't snowed in d. c. in five years so maybe Mother Nature is just making up for lost time.

Whatever it is and it may be all of the above, I think we should brace ourselves for a nationwide change. Maybe not the end of the world, per se, but changes in things we take for granted.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    After the way the government treated us in NO during Katrina we should always have a collectice grassroots emergency plan networked from block associations, churches and other houses of worship

3. hellogood

hellogood Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +261
    No

Just like Extreme sports this is EXTREME weather. What will they call it in the summer when buildings expand and collapse from the deep freeze contraction of the winter?

It's obvious the polar caps are melting. Change is the one true constant of the universe. NOTHING STAYS THE SAME!

And i agree totally the change will involve taking things for granted. Because to me it's not just the weather that can wreck havoc.

4. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    i can see waterworld poppin off first....

one love
    khasm

5. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    That is interesting about the buildings expanding. The cab driver here said he would get in touch with one of his passengers who knows something about this and can give me more information so I can let my family know if they need to prepare for something like that.

Thanks

6. hellogood

hellogood Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +261
    No prob

The heat in the summer expands buildings and in the winter they contract.
    That expansion and retraction takes it's toll over time. So the more frigid a winter is the more chance this could happen. I can see this happening in cities with older brick buildings.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    :10500: philly is in an ice age right now.....

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    We not really headed for an Ice age just yet , but some very havoc weather

9. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +93
    And it continues today. I got 40 inches on my balcony -- about a third blown from the roof -- but on the ground we got 2 feet consistently. (I've linked some photos I took last Saturday.) NY (Brooklyn) is my home town and I don't ever recall being hit with two major storms in one season, and so close together.

If the Gulf Stream current should fail I would not want to be anywhere north of Florida. The curious irony of climate change is that the areas that will be most devastated are the western industrialized nations -- who also happen to be the biggest destroyers of the earth. So, personally, I don't care. Bring on the ice, and the heat. :toast:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    The ice age is something that hits immediately not just in days or weeks graduallybut in minutes.

The wolly mammoths were found frozen, while still chewing food, and all animalshave an instinct for knowing about any type of natural disaster or major storm

But Global Warming may cause such an occurance
    http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0130-11.htm