Black People : Do you think face to face conversation is a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ckoolbreez, May 3, 2012.

1. ckoolbreez

ckoolbreez Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +39
    With the rise in computers and cell phone usage do you think face to face conversation is obsolete? Will it take a backseat to texting or instant messaging? Or do you think it enhances our personal relationships? What are your thoughts about communication in this digital environment? Is it good or bad for our society, our people, and our children?

2. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    It's more needed that before, though many don't risk it, giving the times we live in the midst of...Thing is, sometimes bad misconceptions come by the means/ways/etc. we come across, when we resort so exclusively and solely on written communication, i. e., sometimes we don't come across as we are in the real world...Not everybody is an award winning writer...I do the best i can...No better nor worse than most of us here...FYI...

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,743
    :SuN020:face to face? we don't need no stinkin face to face……..

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    If somewhere along the way I and you can't just look into the other person's eyes and they reflect what the person said is what they meant:It all was and is much to do about nothing! FYI...

5. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    a face to face conversation, is the only form of conversation. The other forms you mentioned are forms of communications via electronic tools. I do understand what you are getting at. but no, these tools can never replace a real conversation face to face. this is another factor, why their will never be peace with out human interaction.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Definitely a thing of the past. It takes a lot of effort to hold a convo today but no problem twittering and texting or sexting these days.

7. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    People still have business meetings and face to face conversations all the time. That being said, developments in communication have provided a lot of benefits to society. Lowering barriers to reach someone, access information, or conduct commerce is good progress in my opinion.

8. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

By the way, there is "face time" as well as Skype and other forms of video conferencing which are improvements or enhancements in communication. I think these a crucial to those who are in the dating scene because they make it easier to screen people.

9. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Not at all is face to face conversation obsolete. I do think it makes one to realize just how much is done behind a true conversation. There's so much you do face to face that's all but irelevant when you're communicating via electronic, and being all digital definitely doesn't help one learn these needed tools. Making eye contact for instance, is definitely not needed when texting but face to face, without it, you run the risk of looking shady or just super nervous.

It's best to always try for sharpening social skills or else you just won't function in public. I, myself, had already been really shy and so looking people in the face was already a trying task for me; with the added use of elctronics and seeing how it could really hinder my progress, I made it a point not to rely on communicating by email just because it was easy, but actually getting some face time when I could. The result? Not as shy as before, but not craving all the attention. :lol:

10. Kamau47

Kamau47 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    It went the way of phone booths, encyclopedias and typewriters. People now would rather text, skype or tweet, than have a face to face. I now understand what they mean when they say we weren't ready for this technology. Instead of a tool, it has become a lifestyle, with it in control.