Black People : Do you think all white people have racist thoughts and feeling toward black people?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by kente417mojo, Feb 26, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I've always wondered about this. I've met white people that seemed nice and respectable, but I always wonder if they talk negatively about African Americans when they are around their race. For instance, your boss or co-workers. Do they as a whole have that racist bone in their bodies and some just hide it better than others? What do you think?

2. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    kente, i don't think they all are racist...some but not all, that would be like whites asking if they thought all blacks like watermelon, we don't all like it. Feel me?
    much :heart:
    -story

3. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    It's not a question of if ALL white people are racist. The REALITY of this issue is one of their education which is racist, their system, which is racist, and their history, which is racist. Racisim is ingrained in them even if they are not conscious of it. It's simply something beyond their conscious control due to their grooming and systemic structure. Personally speaking, I have never met a GOOD white person.
    There may be white people who may have never consciously called a black person a N...... or actually done anything to harm or hurt anyone of color. The question now becomes, "does this make them good white people?" My answer to that is NO. Anytime so called good white people acknowledge the injustice, the inequity and the overall social bias of this system towards people who are not white....and they do nothing, say nothing, or just shrug it off, that makes them bad white people. White people by sheer numbers alone have the voting power to change this system...but why should they when it's in their favor? I once learned that "all a so called GOOD person has to do in the face of evil or wrong" IS NOTHING...and that alone makes them party to the evil going on. Therefore those who we might deem as GOOD become as evil as the evil going on around them...simply because they did nothing to try and change it.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I agree with QueenTswana. I would add that racism is not the focus, but White Supremacy is. I remember in my first cultural anthro class, we had to discuss the topic called "Global Apartheid." Without going into much detail about this, Global Apartheid is a de-facto government structured and controlled by the world's minority group (which incidentally is the European fam). This minority group occupies a position of affluence, authority and dominance, in relation to the world's majority population. When I more time, I will continue.

Blackbird

5. gempis

gempis Well-Known Member MEMBER

strength coach
    Ratings:
    +32
    White people are all a bit racist, whether they know it consciously or not. It's because of the racist society we're all raised in. But there are many many many white people who view black people as just another human being. You can't say "all" or "never" when referring to any group of people. I also think it helps to look through positive lenses and give folks the benefit of the doubt. Of course there are still those individuals who think it's 1900. But the majority I have met are accepting and at least 75 percent enlightened.

6. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    All white people are not racist and I do not feel that all white people demean blacks when they are not around. I have met "Good" white people, (however you choose to define "good). Racism and prejudice is "taught" / believe it or not, there are racists among every race. If a person has ever used the phrase "them" or "they"...then one might want to examine themselves and their own views regarding other races. Now I am not supporting racist behavior or trying to excuse it in any way but I think it's important not to "generalize" an entire race of people especially when I know "first hand" how that feels.

Think about it...we all know a white people, some of us even have close friends and family members who are white and although we realize it or not...we say things about "them" that we wouldn't repeat to the face of that close friend or relative. I think, the more enlightened one becomes about race relations and begins to view people as "human" and not as "things" by using labels; one will be less inclined or more conscientious about using words of hatred. Speaking of labels…this is why it’s so important that black people not use certain words, such as the “N” word because it allows a person to “dehumanize” another which allows them to become removed from their actions of hate.

In short, to answer the question…yes I do believe “black people” are discussed negatively behind closed doors just as “they” are discussed negatively behind closed doors…we all are…take a look at the remarks made before me. The door swings both ways…but I think the issue is how do we stop this cycle of hate, how do we begin to increase sensitivity and enlightenment on the subjects of diversity and multi-culturalism.

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    May I first of all get some clarification on this term we call "RACIST" and "RACISM"? According to the Canadian author of an excellent work which was at one time banned in America, entitled: "Ice Man Inheritance" by Michael Bradley...and Dr. Francis Cress Welsings work entitled:" The Cress Theory of Color Confrontation, and the work of Neely Fuller, and the work of Marimba Ani, and many others....the term RACISM or RACIST belongs to but ONE GROUP OF PEOPLE ON THIS PLANET, namely white people. Since RACISM and WHITE SUPREMACY go hand in hand, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe or conceive the thought process that WHITE PEOPLE are changing.
    The white people of the past knew us, learned from us, depended upon us, had black images of their Creator....and even wrote in their writings that "We were the favorite of the Gods". We were more respected, revered, worshipped and looked to as a source of strength, honor, wisdom, and Godliness by the white people of the past than we are by the white people of today. If we were shafted, invaded, enslaved, turned against and degraded by those who held us in such HIGH REGARD in the past...how does one have the audacity to conceive in their minds or hearts that the white people of today, who have not the respect, honor, insight or anything that the white people of the past had towards us, are SUDDENLY CHANGING TOWARDS OUR PEOPLE??
    This confuses me greatly. A little over 30 years ago they were killing us outright, and now they suddenly flipped to the other side? Not hardly. We as people on this planet may all be PREDJUDICE at times concerning people and many other things, but the term we call racist or racism/white supremacy is a system of power, miseducation, white washed religions, economics, law, recreation, politics and psychology. Until the racist foundation of those things change....EVERY WHITE PERSON IN AMERICA IS A RACIST EVEN IF THEY DON'T KNOW IT. If racism is ingrained in all the things they are taught, that they function by, that they spiritually believe, that they legally obey and follow...they have no choice but to be a product of their environment, structure, education, law, religion, psychology and social inheritance. This makes them RACIST...CUT AND DRY !!!

8. diakonos

diakonos Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    You know, its a funny thing. I live in Durham, NC were there is a large and growing Mexican/Hispanic population. Many of the same comments and snide remarks that I have heard whites say about us, are the very things that I hear us saying about Mexicans. It is the wierdest thing. Where as it used to be that many people didn't want Blacks moving into their neighborhoods for fear of the property value going down, now middle to lower class Blacks don't want Mexicans moving in their neighborhoods. I heard someone say that the hispanics have become the new "N******" of our community. It kind of makes you wonder if we all have racist thoughts towards those whom we feel are lower that us.

At one of the unified services among my denomination of churches (U.C.C.), we had a guest speaker from Peru who pastored a Hispanic Church. She came out wearing the colors of her people. Then she took them off and said she wished to honor our people by wearing Kinte cloth. She then went on to say that the Hispanic community looked to us as an example of how a minority group could persevere and make it in America, and how it inspired them to do better. That was three years ago. Given the open disdain that I have seen heaped on Mexicans by Blacks, I don't think that's a true statement anymore.

I'm not trying to flip the script of anything. I just think that we need to be aware of any racist views that we may have?

9. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    That's a very good point. I have noticed this also that sometimes we tend to look down on our Hispanic brothers and sisters in the same way Whites look down on us to this very day. I think it's sort of a way that some try to heal their insecurities about being black. It's definately wrong and hypocritical. We need to remember how we feel when someone makes a statement regarding race at us. I do think too there is a double standard amongst black people when it comes to making racist comments. We tend to think that we are entitled sometimes to make comments about not only white people but Hispanic, Middle Eastern and many more. Because we were persecuted doesn't give us the right to persecute. So many good points made and are appreciated.

10. angelicsage

angelicsage Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Excellent point diakonos and kente! It's equally important that we look within...