Black People : Do you live in the 'hood ... moved out ... or was never there?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hello Family,

I've recently moved back to my Family's home, where i grew up. It's been 20+ years since i've lived here. I'm in the 'hood.

The experiences are so different from my "not in the hood" living before. I think because i grew up here, it's very familiar and intimate. I know some of the people. Several of the houses in this area are still owned, and lived in, by their original owners (the parents or their children). It's very warm and comforting.

Yet at the same time, there is an element of danger. I see and talk to young Black men who obviously think that drugs, guns, prison, and death are their best or only options.

I was talking to one of my neighbors, i grew up with her daughter (all her children), so she's like a Momma to me ... and she said, "we're surrounded" ... i got the distinct impression that she is a prisoner in her own home.

So i'm wondering ... what's it like on your side of town?

:heart:

Destee

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    My Side of Town was off the chain a few years ago. But know it is just chill, it is still drugs guns and prositutes but it is alot smoother now.

The only thing I worry about it, is that most of the hustlers are teenagers and they do not want to do anything but hustle. I try to talk to them but it is hard since I do not have the material things the dude they buy dope from has. Some of them listen and some of them don't. However, most of the mamas around hur act like they are 17 and the daddy act like he 21 and they are both pushing 50 so it is hard for the kids to even think outside of the box, when their family is inside of it too....

3. Captain Ray

Captain Ray Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't live in "the hood." never have. I live in Oregon, we don't have the same kind centralized urban areas for the most part. I suppose in Portland there are certain areas that might qualify.

We have crime here, and drugs (mostly crystal, and pot. Petty burglary, and car theft) which are everywhere... Prostitution is not a big problem.. it does happen though, almost always related to methamphetamines.

I live in a small town (6,000) people or so, near Salem. DUII arrests are probably the most prevalent community crime around here... next are city code violations.

I never have understood why "population centers" like NY, or Chicago, or Detroit are so popular... hell, I don't think I would like living there myself. I prefer the country.. I like driving to work and seeing one, maybe two cars on the way. I like open spaces... It gives me comfort knowing that I can drive 10 minutes in any direction and be surrounded by nothing but trees or fields of grass...

Raymond

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Is the 'hood defined by race, economic level and issues of safety?

I live and work in a country setting where you wake up every morning hearing birds singing and see lots of green grass, flowering trees and bushes, breathe in fresh air and see plenty of sunshine. The pace is slow; homes are far apart; shopping is conveniently nearby in spacious malls; and there are lots of things families can do together. Now, there are also people with guns, who go to prison, use drugs, get drunk and engage in prostitution living in my neighborhood and it's predominantly white and upper middle class. At football games people stand on top of buildings urinating on the people walking past below, have open sex because they're drunk, toss furniture in the streets and set it on fire and turn over cars and make the national news at 6 and 11 pm. I would prefer living around more of my people if you wanna know the truth! I think it would be a rather refreshing change of pace!

Queenie :martian:

5. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not totally getting your post there NNQueen.

That sounds nice.

Now this part...

doesn't sound so nice. I am having a hard time reconciling the two. You live in a nice neighborhood, filled with fresh air and flowers, but your white neighbors, albeit widely spaced, engage in prostitution, drunken open sex, and urinate off the tops of buildings during football games? They own guns, use drugs, and are in prison?

I better stay here in Oregon.

Raymond

6. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmm...well i don't know yall definition of hood but uhhh...i live in detriot...the part i live in isn't TOO bad in my opinion...we have prostitutes, drug deals everywhere...(its sorta common)....it wouldn't come to a surprise that u see a kid (13 or 14) with drugs on em...maybe its just me...i'm used to the neighborhood....
    :heart:
    -story

7. Captain Ray

Ferryman
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know, given my background, whether or not that is a good thing.

Story, when you say that it is what you are "used to it..." I think to myself that I don't ever want my nine year old to think that that is the norm. I would like her to know that there are places like that.. but not to want to live there. I suppose if you are born there, it seems perfectly normal. Heck, life around here would probably strike you as pretty boring..

Life in places like, or NY, or LA, or (Insert acronym here) suit the larger part of the population... Not me though. Heck, I moved out of Salem when my daughter was born. The town was too big (160,000 or so..) to raise a little girl. IMO. That was more important to me than being able to walk to the supermarket.

Raymond

8. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Luckily I have never had to live in urban areas that were very crime infested... but again, they can be recreated back to what We used to be...Destee you and your family may just be the spark needed.

I live in a pretty good area, all of these subdivions in these areas are majority African-American... We have working-class, middle-classed, upper-middle classed areas and some with the mansions going up who may be a little higher on the economic spectrum- but this is the south, and for a couple hundred thousand, you can do that. There is little to no crime; the highschool that is affiliated with these areas did have a reputation in the late 80's as being "bad" but you don't here too much... and they seem to be on the mend. There are several middle and elementary schools and they seem to be okay. Now, though, and it may be economic; Whites are starting to move in, and I don't know why...but I am trying to get the folks here to understand that We really have something here and We need to hold onto it.

I have noticed that when people come in here where I live; white men, the first thing they always say, "wow, ya'll got lakes up in here..." as if We are not suppossed to? I reply, "yeap, and in the back a swimming pool too."

Destee, those kids that you talk about may have not seen anything else; I say may, because I am sure that some of them, maybe even the majority have come from good families; I think that you can make an impression; a successful sister, coming back home-not forgetting. Like alot of AAs are waking up to the realization of. While at the same time I want to say, though, your and your family's health and well-being should come first; if it is too bad-get out; or make some changes...

wolf-wolf

9. carlhurd

carlhurd Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ther is still hope

I live in the hood where it is at times not really that great with a lot of brothers and sisters usually begging for money and a cigarette. I think one of the problems in my hood is that there are very few black owned businesses around, the kind that you cater to like a convience store etc. I think that the young brothers and sisters who engage in illegal activity really feel like they don't have any hope. I like my neighborhood, I believe in my people it get kind of crazy sometime but I believe there is still hope.

www.blackfeedback.com

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    Just goes to show you Raymond, things are never as they sometimes seem when you look at just the surface. One man's suburb could be another man's ghetto. How much of a difference is there between the two really? One might be able to hide their "dirty laundry" better than the other. Some people might prefer to see clearly what they have to deal with as opposed to being fooled by external trappings that may give one the impression that they're in a "better" place. It's sort of like dealing with a racist living down south as opposed to one living up north. One doesn't hide who he is while the other appears to be a bleeding liberal and is worse.

"Is the 'hood defined by race, economic level and issues of safety?"

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar: