Do you know how to build a house?

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by NNQueen, Mar 14, 2006.

1. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    I know there are tons of homes on the market for sale these days. There's nothing wrong with buying a home that someone else has lived in. But I've always been partial to having my house built as opposed to buying one that's already constructed.

When I was 5 years old, my parents had their first house built. My father and his brothers and friends actually built it themselves. My father had an 8th grade education but was "smart as a whip." Back then, that wasn't unusual for Black men. I can remember standing around to watch them and I saw the land being cleared, watched them study the blueprints, and measure the foundation. I saw them working together on every detail and watched as lumber, nails, saws and hammers turned into a home.

I loved the smell of fresh dirt as it was being moved. I still do. I loved the smell of fresh cut lumber and even the sound of nails being hammered into the wood, and still do. I saw how carefully they lay brick on top of mortar as the walls grew higher and higher. I saw them climb on the roof to lay tiles. I watched as my father and uncles put their heads together to figure out problems and how they used their creativity and skill to make adjustments that turned out better than the plans called for. I could remember being so proud of my dad.

I can remember watching them sit under the shade of the nearby trees to eat their hand packed lunches, drink beer, tell jokes and laugh. My father had the most beautiful smile. I had lots of good times living in that home. These are the memories that I carry with me still today and one day, paying tribute to my father and his brothers, I will build my house.

My father passed away 4 years ago and my heart swells with love for him still. It's no wonder I am partial to men who can build things with their hands as well as with their minds.

How many brothers enjoy building things. Please share.

Queenie :heart:

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    It used to be that Black men and women in segregated settings were expected without unshakeable doubt to be extremely skilled in shop, home economics, etc. Teachers of old would NOT allow passing to the next grade or level unless those skills were mastered. It seemed expectations from Black teachers and the Black community were much higher in terms of what was expected. Not only do Black men need to know such skills but they need to know how to handle themselves physically.....the war against us will require the amassing of heavy duty intellectual, spiritual, AND physical arsenals!

3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    I was an aircraft mechanic and a auto mechanic back in the day. That's when I had the desire and thirst to create and accomplish feats the average person would never have the opportunity do. It isn't everday a person can take 18 million dollars worth of metal, plastic, rubber and glass, put it together and make it fly. That lifestlye was hard on my body. I often would pushed myself beyond the brink just for that sense of accomplishment. Things that I have done no one can take away. Now my focus is more on my family and being the man I would have my son to at least become. Little things give me joy now. The other day me and my son were working out in my yard getting the grass and the flower beds together for spring. It was exhausting work. We went inside and took a break for while an ate dinner. My son told me "Dad when I get older I will think back to these days when we were working in the yard together." Moment like those are priceless. Nothing that I done will ever give me a greater sense of accomplishment knowing that I am doing right by my son. So building houses, cars, boats and airplanes are really great accomplishments but they still pale in comparison to building a man...

Peace....

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    hmmmmmmm! this one of my greater love to build my own from ground up
    I use to watch my father build from nothing to an accomplishmental feat, i
    once wrote a poem on that call (With These Hands) I learn from him that my
    hands was the tools and my mind was the guide to use them we build our
    3 1/2 Garage the layout and all , i still need some know how on reading blueprints
    but on some jobs with my father back then i was learning , i guess reading them
    for a house is no different then others , i have some knowledge in building a Home.

5. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Build umm I built a go kart-LOL
    Im not really the building type
    If I was shown then I could probably do
    Just about anything though

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Good post.

They always say money is power... and while it is, knowledge can present an equal amount of power, particularly since it is easier to obtain than money. Imagine the power blacks in lower-income neighborhoods would have if they knew how to build from the ground up? The only real economic concern would be buying the materials.

But anyway, I think the reason why more were knowledgeable of things like this pre-integration is simply because they had to. They knew they couldn't rely on whites because they had overt forms of racism happen against them everyday. Things are not as clear-cut now... many feel there is still racism but have gotten too complacent in thinking that the more money you make the less it matters. Whites have and will always see you as a black person, regardless of what some think gives others more 'clearance.' This is why it's important to first establish economic independence within the community, so it doesn't matter what the government does or doesn't do.

7. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11

Greetings NNQueen :)

Boy did you bring back memories. I have always "built" things every since I can remember. My father was an awesome carpenter, but that wasn't his profession and I would pass him a hammer or go get a board for him to cut when I was a child, and I remember the "junior" toolkit he bought me for Xmas one year. I built many things as a youngster but like my father, that didn't become my profession either. Throughout my life I have always had tools and love to use them. I have built things from furniture to computers and currently I am upgrading the moulding in my house to a custom package. The smell of fresh cut wood is intoxicating and I really enjoy woodworking. I'm off work today and was heading out into the garage to build a pedestal to display a prized figurine from my collection when I ran across this post.

I haven't build a house (yet) but I've done almost everything else to a house.

I have to agree with Radical Faith though...there is no greater pleasure than building a man.

Thanks for the memories :heart:

8. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hey there Brother ZG...it's good to be back and I'm pleased to see that you are still here too. Thank you and everyone else for contributing to this thread. It doesn't seem to be a popular one, but I'm glad that we can at least demonstrate that we can seriously discuss topics other than how racist white America is and sex.

My question to others would be, if you ain't building a house, what are you building?

Peace,
    Queenie :heart:

9. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,135
    My Grandfather

Was a contractor. You couldnt eat his food without being involved in his business. He built everything. Had he been white, he would have been a big man in the business. If you drew it on a napkin, he could build it.

10. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Well Sister Queenie:luvv: :hearts4: I’m lost for words…I see you’re back… what the sister’s use to say back in the day, “if you don’t think I’m leavin’ count the days that I’m gone”...I guess that spoke volumes in your case :wink:….LOL

If I start to tell you how much you were missed I’ll just embarrass myself…:D

Well this a very important subject, especially for those who keep talking about nation building or not being the parasites of white imperialist.

It was imperative that a young man had basic construction skills when I was younger, many Black men in the community were contractors/tradesmen and others either gained skills while being laborers on construction sites. Building skills and craftsmanship should be second nature and almost rites of passage for Black Nationalist. Many older Black craftsmen and tradesman today were raised in a world that was full of multi-tasking and multi-disciplined Black men who understood and could exemplify various aspects of construction, it was only when the unions started to open up the various trades that Black men are now starting to specialize in just one particular skill…

I believe that because the core of African-centricity and progressive Black sociology were birth in an academic think-tank of socio-cultural and political theorist that discussing the concrete foundations needed to support a “real” three dimensional societal infrastructure of a liberated people is never really thought about… The nails, screws and bolts of independence and liberation are never discussed…

This is the Booker T. versus WEB paradox…the hammer or the book or both. Well the book and the rhetoric won out…