Jails / Prisons : Do You Have (Ever Had) Family in Prison?

Do You Have (Ever Had) Family in Prison?

• Total voters
Yes, I've had family members in prison before; I wouldn't want them there again. I love them too much! One of them was someone who hasn't been in my life since I was a baby, but he's been out for but a few years now.

You are sooooo precious! Thank you so much for taking us all down memory lane! ... :bus:

I was JUST thinking about this thread ... i saw an article / news story / sump'n ... that made me think of it.

I was gonna try to find it ... it was on my mental to-do list ... and now i don't gotta even look !!! ... :love:

Thank You Sweetie ... and i'm glad your Family Members are out ... YAAAAAAAAY !!! ... :toast:

Love You !

:heart:

Destee

You are sooooo precious! Thank you so much for taking us all down memory lane! ... :bus:

I was JUST thinking about this thread ... i saw an article / news story / sump'n ... that made me think of it.

I was gonna try to find it ... it was on my mental to-do list ... and now i don't gotta even look !!! ... :love:

Thank You Sweetie ... and i'm glad your Family Members are out ... YAAAAAAAAY !!! ... :toast:

Love You !

Destee

Cool! Glad to have helped! Love you, too, Destee!!!:em3900:

Peace and Blessings Family,

Do You Have ... or ever had ... Family in Prison?

My nephew is in prison, and will probably be there for the rest of his life. He Spent most of his young life in there too. He was in, got out, and went right back. I've never visited him in prison, not even sure what prison he's in. He was arrested, prosecuted, all that stuff, in Chicago, so he's probably in a prison in IL. I'm gonna talk to my Sister and find out.

I also had 2 cousins that spent time in prison. They're both out now.

I could probably have more Family Members incarcerated, but if so, i'm not aware of it.

I think it would be good for us to bring ourselves even closer together, as i can't imagine that there are a whole lot of us who don't, or never have had, a Family Member in prison ... but yall never cease to amaze me ... as i might be the only one! :(

Please vote in the poll above, and post your comments below.

I just love yall ... thanks for sharing !!! :love:

Destee

Yes....one cousin on my dad's side. I'm actually surprised that my baby older brother never went to prison. He is such a freakin' mess.

Anyway, yeah. We have an ex-con person in the family.
It's embarrassing.

What was he charged with?
Um...drugs?
It was a federal case? He was a drug dealer with some dealings with some Cubans. The FBI (or whatever) had been building a case on him for years, apparently. From what I heard - they used to trail him and his parents around in unmarked cars. They had the house under surveillance.
When they raided the house (believing that he was there...but he wasn't as he had his own home)? His grandmother (my aunt) who was home at the time, had a mild stroke some days later.
It was the subject of a huge falling out among the different clans (of the family. my grandparents had 14 children). His mother was upset that my brother wouldn't represent him in court...and because my daddy wouldn't give her money. So, she and her husband took it upon themselves to pay his lawyer $50,000 in hopes of keeping him out of jail. I could've told her that such an act would bear no fruit. It wasn't $50,000 in total, either. They threw much more behind that boy. The $50,000 was just the last amt paid...and I don't know where they got that. They didn't refinance. They didn't pull from retirement. That side of the family isn't poor but they really don't have disposable income like that...as far as 'the family' knows.
...but it'd be just like them to hold out from the rest of their kin.
The drug-dealing 'apple' doesn't fall very far from enabler tree...I suspect.

He rec'vd 2-5 years, I think? Closer to 2 than 5.
Whatever.
I don't understand why his mother was begging the family sink themselves for him.
He had money. He was, allegedly, a millionaire. So... what happened to HIS money?

Anyway --
I am what more street-wise folks would call, a 'square a..s broad'...*laugh*... because I don't know anything about the 'drug game' and hustling or anything else about 'that life'.
Ill tell you what I do have, though: Common sense.
If you're going to do that sort of thing, it should be understood that the 'windfall' won't last forever...because you need a lot of connections, guns and money to keep everyone in line. You can emerge and stay on top without that.
So... an 'exit plan'? So... not optional.
What person hustles -- to stay forever hustling, in the first place?
*shrug*
How much does a good drug-dealer pull in a week? What - $10000 to $20000 or more?
The most simple and reasonable thing to do would be to funnel that money into legal business ventures.
Tint 'n Alarms. Auto-shop businesses. Construction businesses. Commercial cleaning companies.
Don't tell me that it can't be done.
Accounting will certainly have their work cut out for them.

There are plenty of ways to legally shuffle greenbacks about when you're keeping it safe from this thieving a--s govt (who can't be trusted to do a thing but squander it) come tax-season. For a time, I worked so hard that I up and worked myself into another tax bracket.
D'you know what I ended up paying:
Goose-egg!
Of course, it was perfectly legal...and, though, I have EVERY right to keep MY money that I worked for? I use my powers for 'good'.... *laugh*
It's just that -- I can't believe that someone who is...y'know - actually willing to break the law doesn't have it within them to be more creative ....

How ironic.

Anyway --
'My kinfolk'. Maybe he should've been raised in some ghetto or project area. Maybe then he would've had something of an excuse for under-performing in life....
I have a huge family. A few wealthy. Some rich/'upper-middle'. Mostly 'middle-class'. A few 'working poor'. Little bit of everything, yet ...everyone is 'comfortable' - even the 'working class'.

My 'clan' (headed by the entrepreneurs and SBOs) raised their children with a different mindset. To not settle. To want more...title, status, money, power. To want more of everything.
That's why we do. Didn't say that it was a good idea to pressure your kids like that, though....
For a time, I had difficulty separating my self from what I did...professionally. Educationally. I was...what I did. "If I'm not working, who am I...exactly?"
All of us adult kids have that problem but, at least, my life's work is fulfilling.

So...prosperity isn't horribly lopsided because the different clans lend support to each other. I mean - no one's going to carry you on their backs. Pull your weight. But, out of loyalty and blood-ties, we won't let anyone flounder about if they're giving an honest effort, either.
However, I can say with confidence that there isn't a single one us who is of the 'poor, black and struggling' variety. So, my cousin's case is inexcusable and ridiculous.
He came up in a suburb, for crap's sake.

Peace and Blessings Family,

Do You Have ... or ever had ... Family in Prison?

My nephew is in prison, and will probably be there for the rest of his life. He Spent most of his young life in there too. He was in, got out, and went right back. I've never visited him in prison, not even sure what prison he's in. He was arrested, prosecuted, all that stuff, in Chicago, so he's probably in a prison in IL. I'm gonna talk to my Sister and find out.

I also had 2 cousins that spent time in prison. They're both out now.

I could probably have more Family Members incarcerated, but if so, i'm not aware of it.

I think it would be good for us to bring ourselves even closer together, as i can't imagine that there are a whole lot of us who don't, or never have had, a Family Member in prison ... but yall never cease to amaze me ... as i might be the only one! :(

Please vote in the poll above, and post your comments below.

I just love yall ... thanks for sharing !!! :love:

Destee

Sis Destee I admire you bringing this topic here. Most people would hide this about their family.

I have never had any of my family or relatiives in prison(as far as I know).......but my neighbour has a grandson there, and one of our church members has a son who is in jail. I have visited prison with my church's Prison Ministry. When you visit prison you realise and appreciate the meaning of FREEDOM. Inmates are lonely and they feel forgotten if no one visits them. Your nephew would love seeing you I am sure. Since visiting the prison, I have prayed for them and their family more.

Hi Destee and family:hiya:
This is right up my alley. My husband is in federal prison. He is out here in Louisiana, thank God I don't have to travel out of state to visit. I feel that if you have any family incarcerated, go visit. They don't have anybody really in there to support them. And it is a shame how our people fill them up so much. And the government really doesn't care about them. They try and lie to say they encourage family visits and all, but in reality the officers hate to see inmates get love and attention. And the visits, I hate and dread it so much, but I have to see my husband, we both need each other. Most of the prisons give you a hard time when you are visiting. Most make you sit and wait long periods of time before you can go back to the visiting room. You have to go by a strict dress code, and if you don't pass it you will have to end up spending money getting another outfit or wasting time going to the hotel to change. It is VERY emotional and right now they don't have too many people stepping up to be their voice. So try to be there for them as much as you can. I know that my husband lives for mail call, every little thing counts.

So sorry to hear.. will be praying for you. You are a brave women...keep trusting.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back