Black Relationships : Do you have any responsibility to honor someone else's relationship?

It's a matter of perspective and belief system that each of us has. Unless someone believes they are religiously mandated to, there is no "obligation" for anyone to respect other people.

Choosing who to get involved with depends on a number of factors. Circumstances of relationships aren't the same.

Situations that may on the surface appear to be 'unfaithful' or dastardly, may not be.

To "carry on" with anyone without any forethought or conscience is dangerous to all involved.

To me, it's not always how relationships get started that's important, it's how people conduct themselves as they manage their relationships.

It's a matter of perspective and belief system that each of us has. Unless someone believes they are religiously mandated to, there is no "obligation" for anyone to respect other people.

Choosing who to get involved with depends on a number of factors. Circumstances of relationships aren't the same.

Situations that may on the surface appear to be 'unfaithful' or dastardly, may not be.

To "carry on" with anyone without any forethought or conscience is dangerous to all involved.

To me, it's not always how relationships get started that's important, it's how people conduct themselves as they manage their relationships.

:SuN020: sometimes it's not what you do it's the way that you do it…..

If you know someone is already in a relationship and don't personally know their significant other ... do you have any obligation to respect that relationship and not "carry on" with them? Or do you think it's completely on them and you're free to do whatever they allow?

Especially considering ... you've made no vows to anyone?

No. That is the job of the people in the relationship. Should you respect their relationship? I believe so. do you HAVE TO? No.

Sista you are so on point!
This is a very, very hot topic, and one I am glad to see being raised. Destee, I appreciate your words, especially regarding what most people, especially our brothas, scoff at these days "The Sistahood". Because of the attitudes of "if he's creeping, it's not my fault, she needs to handle her bidness", it has made it much easier for "sistas" to get into relationships going nowhere, with unavailable men. Unavailable = married, live-in, engaged, committed-long-term-exclusively dating. There are some women who only aim their sites at the "unavailable" men...for various reasons, ranging from ego-tripping, to not wanting the "headache" on a constant. Having a part-time lover, in many cases, keeps the excitement "new" and "fresh". At the end of the day, however, there is still that emptiness...not having him for the holidays, etc.

If there was more of a "sistahood", Destee, there would be no one to creep with...brothas might then be forced to work out their "issues" at home...or buy a ho if they need release.

Glad you brought this up. And yes, this may be a struggle for many women (caring about a stranger's feelings)... but it's nothing but right. Whether we know the wife/lover or not...she is our Sister. We don't recognize it fully until we've been in 'her' shoes.

Oh, and one more thing...you've said it Destee "as time goes on, people care even less"...this, sis, is a sign of the times we live in.

All of you have indeed provoked important thoughts here.

Thanking you very much...

a

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back