Jails / Prisons : Do You Have a Prison in Your Community?

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Destee, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

I've never been to a state or federal prison. Never visited one, and don't personally know where any are located. I've never seen one, never even driven past one to my knowledge. I know that there is not one in my local community or city.

With so many Black people held within the confines of these places, surely there is one or two in our neighborhoods?

I understand that there is a great economic advantage to a community, to have a prison located nearby. If true, is this why we don't have any of them in our communities? Are these "benefits" that only white communities receive?

Considering how they run from living next door to us, it's amazing that they'd allow prisons in their communities. I understand that the competition is fierce, when a new prison is being proposed to be built, fighting to get it close to them ... knowing it's overwhelming filled with Black people. Simply amazing to me.

Do you have a prison in your community?

Where are the prisons anyway? How many state and federal prisons are there?

Why don't they build prisons in our communities?

:heart:

Destee

2. Sefirot

Sefirot Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Teacher
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yep. They most certainly do build them in our communities, Sis.
    On my (East) side of Atlanta the federal pen is on Moreland Avenue, smack dab in the middle of "The Lion's Den" of Thomasville Projects.
    Brother Kemetkind has alluded to his interest in delineating the issue of PIC, so I'll digress in the stead of his wisdom on the subject.

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Yup; all over the place. Funny thing is that somebody mislabeled them. For some odd reason, they keep calling them "churches" and "institutes of higher learning".

"As Above; so Below." "Enslave/Free Your Mind and your butt will follow!"

4. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    As I stated earlier there is one right next to Boley, Oklahoma, a former "all black" townshp which still has a mostly black population of about 2500.

In California, state facility in Wasco, right near the former "black district" near highway 99.

Up highway 58 there is another one in Tehachapi near "Black" settlement.

Most prisons are built in remote, agricultural or desolate areas away from large population centers.

5. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    I have never visited any prison. Yes there are a few State Prisons, all within a one hundred mile radius of my neighborhood. If I'm not mistaken, There is one in Suisun (Bay Area Ca); Folsom State Prison; Chowchilla Prison for Women, and lo and behold: San Quentin State Prison, where a few of the most infamous criminals have been detained. The cluster of prisons could be due to the high California population too, some of which happen to be in close proximity of many not so/affluent residential neighborhoods. It's pretty pathetic when one can drive down a residential street, or your children can walk from school, point out, and identify a prison. Because of the prison over-population in Northern Cali, there is a huge spillage of convicted child predators, and rapists released into our neighborhoods, which in turn attracts ex-cons; some of whom are in direct violation of their probation/parole in taking up residence near public schools and parks.

I always thought prisons weren't built in OUR neighborhoods because it would incite anger in Blacks, due to the shady criminal justice system, also, don't certain communities/neighborhoods literally pay for the cost to run a prison? If so this would explain why they choose more upscale neighborhoods to build them around. They would make no profit in the ghetto since a disproportionate amount of inner city ghetto folks have no major revenue to invest in the "upkeep" of a prison. Just my observation.

I had a step-mother who was Correctional Officer at Soledad State Prison, a few hundred miles south down the Central Coast, CA south of Monterey County which is another moderately new one that my father's Local constructed; she would always tell us how much of a challenge it was for a female officer to contain male prisoners, and how she always had her "guard up".

I do notice that there are a surplus of prisons and Departments of Human Assistance (welfare) offices sprucing up everywhere. Perhaps there is some "unseen" social force that consequently is causing the demand for the construction of such buildings. What I'd like to know is: with the zero tolerance on crime, and recent push for welfare reform; why would the gov. bother investing in the very problem America is hardpressed to rid itself of?

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thank you all for setting me straight regarding prisons not being in our communities. I had no idea. I really did think what i thot, obviously ... lol ... :)

Such a blesing that we have each other, so that we don't have to continue thinking the wrong thing, unless we just want to ... i'm honored ... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Please everyone, keep sharing with me about this, i'm learning so much!

Destee

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    yes ......i am by one the county prison is near me .
    and the new divison 10 max

8. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    We have cook county jail here in chicago,illinois

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thanks Brother $$RICH$$ and Sister Cursed Heart.

Are city and county jails, prisons too?

I guess they are huh?

Hmmmm ... this word thing again ...

I reck'n where ever they are incarcerate'n you, you're in prison? Or is there some great differentiation between city and county jails vs state and federal prisons? Off the top, i guess the latter are where you go if you have to spend an extended amount of time? Hmmmm ... i wonder if there is an actual time cut off or something. Like if you get 6 months, you go to jail instead of prison. Or is it determined by the crime they convicted you of?

Brother OldSoul taught a class, or two, on prisons. He said, if no mistake, if one is convicted of a federal crime, they can send you anywhere in the country to do that time. You can even be "disappeared" ... spending large amounts of time in undisclosed locations, where your Family doesn't know what prison you are in, what city, and you can't contact them. He said that in "prison" ... and i'm including city, county, state, and federal ... Black Men most usually gather together based on where they are from. He said prison officials know this, so they break up the Black Men from the same areas, in an effort to lessen the opportunity for any unity or bonding.

Thanks again everyone.

Destee

10. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Within a 3-hour driving radius there are, at least, four prisons, including a women's prison, in my area, from low security to max to supermax. The supermax is in the northern regions of Michigan, out in the boondocks claimed to be escape-proof. There are no prisons in my community, but I pass a jail at the police station, half-way house and substance abuse center, homeless shelter and women's shelter (I know this because I've done volunteer work there) every day on my way to work.