Black Education / Schools : Do you feel like a college degree is necessary?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by rapunzal24, Oct 14, 2011.

1. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Some friends and I were talking about whether or not a college degree is necessary these days. I feel as if it is, but I know plenty of people who have gotten a job and been there for 20 years, and are making that good money. Times have changed though, and education is a business, so if you don't have one the people who do always seem to have a leg up when it comes to obtaining a job. How do you feel about this, do you have a college degree, if not, do you feel like your life has been hindered by not having one? Do you feel like you got a better deal by not having to pay back all those student loans?

2. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    a degree isnt needed. u dnt get anything out of a collegiate education now a days

the system has me in the corner. im nt able to pursue my career w/o a degree so i put up with it

3. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    That's what I say, they put you in a corner, and you have no choice but to get a degree. I feel like a lot of the classes that I take now are unnecessary, but they require it. You gave in though and are doing your thing, so doesn't that mean that it is necessary?

4. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Hedge your bets.

Typically a degree is needed to access higher paying jobs. It is created this way by design.
    If going for a degree, do it as quickly and cheaply as possible.

Not having a degree was more of a hindrance to acquiring a job as an employee.
    Contracting jobs are typically available, but many of those may require a degree.

The student loans are a big concern (and trap).
    Remember, student loans aren't typically discharged through bankruptcy.

If I had to do it all over again, I would pick up a skilled trade in addition to acquiring a degree as well as a small business.
    Also, start doing college course work in high school. That way, the State picks up two years. You graduate high school with an associates. Only having to pay for two years of college to acquire your Bachelors can be a major savings.

5. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I would like to expand this to a bigger picture.
    In my opinion, I see this as:

1) economic survivability

Could you weather an interruption of your income? For how long?

2) economic security

How insulated are you from economic interruptions and commerce?
    What is your exposure to debt? Liens? Pledges such as mortgages, collateral, etc?

3) economic wealth

Your accumulations, where are they? How are they held? Who manages or administrates your accumulations?
    How well do you economize your resources to have surplus?

The other part of hedge your bets is to take some winnings off of the table (of commerce). This begins your accumulations in addition to protection and security of your best interest, security, and survivability.

6. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    my school offeres skilled trades. I will do my research n acquire knowledge in one

7. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    College is necessary these days - even manufacturers are limiting their hiring to engineers.

Take the cheapest route: Associates degree at a community college. Bachelor's and Masters overseas.

8. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    We're actually running low on machinists, mechanical, and industrial/product engineers. The BRICs are killing us in this respect, and without a college education and growth in this area it will be hard to redevelop domestic manufacturing.

More towards the point. College is a great path for anyone. I just think we need to stop thinking of it as a means to an end and instead think of it as an opportunity for personal enrichment and education. A few posts mention skilled labor/trades, but the people who really excel in those fields tend to have formal education to go with it. Sure, a person can make a pretty decent living just being a plumber. However, the master plumber on a build site usually has a degree. I wouldn't even be surprised that it's post-doc, especially if they want to move up from just residential work.

Folks need to save for their education, always look for scholarships...grants...fellowships...etc. We need to support policy makers who want to pop the College, Inc bubble and subsidize a quality education for people in the country.

9. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    I truly advocate going overseas. For example, grad school tuition in Germany is capped at 500 euros($635) per semester and monthly rent doesn't usually exceed $500.

You could work as a cook at McDonald's for a year and afford to go there.

10. Gorilla

Gorilla Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    You'll also get a stipend for education in Germany to cover living expenses I believe.

Either way, it's always a world of difference in nations that actually collectively value education.