Black People : Do you Believe the New York Times?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by militant, May 8, 2006.

1. militant

militant Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3
    Or any white media for that matter when reporting news about black people? Well the following will give you less reason to believe them if any. If you can, please get the book, Hearts of Darkness by Milton Allamandi. It basically documents his research into the Western Media coverage of Africa, since the first contacts with Africans. Most notable is the maliciousness of New York Times. His aim is not to romanticize Africa, but rather to see some sort of journalistic integrity that restrains one from using fabrications, racist words and tones when report matters of Africa. Here is an excerpt from his book, very revealing!!:

More details on?
    http://www.theheartsofdarkness.com/

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Militant, most profound article... I think I need to get in search for that book... It sounds like it will be a monster read...

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Hey there Militant,

I was at a Media conference in New York and heard Milton speak about his book. It started off as a research thesis for his journalism doctorate (I think). When researching New York Times past articles in his University's archives, he opted to keep his subject matter secret - he didn't want to to be denied access to the records.

Well, the result is this book ( I have yet to read it ). And like the site says, it gives us the intellectual weapons to stand up to racist depictions of Africa. I can say I've stopped believing Corporate Western reports, especially on African affairs. The real question is how can we set up our own information networks so that we are informed of real events that really affect us?

/tim

4. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Tim, actually we have such a network in place, but, ironically, because of some of the issues pointed out in Brother Allimadi's book, African people do not support it(smile!) For example, African and African Diasporic newspapers, magazines, journals, and tabloids...

Here in NYC, we have an organization called the Committe to Eliminate Media Offensive To African People/CEMOTAP, and they've been tirelessly in operation for better than a decade and a half... They always hold seminars, and they always take the New York Post to task for their right-wing reasctionary racist portrayal of Blacks in this city... How much support they get from the larger African American community here, however, is questionable and objectionable...(smile!)

But brother Allimadi operated in the classic Spook Who Sat By the Door fashion, and I am so glad he exercised that good judgement so that he could get this most important story OUT... He saw the larger picture, and rather than doing the verbal scream, he wrote it... BTW, an excerpt of his book will appear for discussion at the website soon, so let's be a part of the network you speak of, keep each other informed...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Tim, actually we have such a network in place, but, ironically, because of some of the issues pointed out in Brother Allimadi's book, African people do not support it(smile!) For example, African and African Diasporic newspapers, magazines, journals, and tabloids...

Here in NYC, we have an organization called the Committe to Eliminate Media Offensive To African People/CEMOTAP, and they've been tirelessly in operation for better than a decade and a half... They always hold seminars, and they always take the New York Post to task for their right-wing reasctionary racist portrayal of Blacks in this city... How much support they get from the larger African American community here, however, is questionable and objectionable...(smile!)

But brother Allimadi operated in the classic Spook Who Sat By the Door fashion, and I am so glad he exercised that good judgement so that he could get this most important story OUT... He saw the larger picture, and rather than doing the verbal scream, he wrote it... BTW, an excerpt of his book will appear for discussion at the website soon, so let's be a part of the network you speak of, keep each other informed...

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I hear you Isaiah, and I'm into being part of the network. There are 3 main questions I ask myself whenever I read ANY story related to Africa

Who owns the new source ?
    I've found that sites like Allafrica and BBC New Africa give us a lot of African news, but it's not owned by us ( check most news sources on Allafrica ).
    All Africa
    BBC News Africa

Who has our interests at heart ?
    This is a tricky question as Black people as a political body first have to work out what our main interests are.

What are our interests ?
    I think Pan-Africanism has given us a good outline and we can carry it forward from there.

These are some Sites / Preriodicals where I find I can get god unbiased information. I'd love to get anything that you may have.
    Black Star News
    Amsterdam News
    New African