Black People : Do you believe latter generations deserve reparations?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Angela22, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Serious question, which isn't to judge anyone as ageist or such, but get some understanding behind why latter generations, such as my own, are believed to be deserving of reparations.

Do you think simply being black makes them deserving, or does one need to show some incentive behind the cause, moving us out of the struggle and into prosperity? I know that not all of former generations did their part in the struggle, but if they did anything at all, it was promoting blackness in its beauty, while many of latter generation brush it off as nothing important, and you can forget them actually helping a bro or sis out because being an "individual" says they aren't obligated to do so.

So, what do you think? Do you believe reparations should only go to those over a certain age, apart of a certain generation, who experienced even greater struggle, yet put forth more effort? Or do you believe every generation on forward are entitled to the fruits of our ancestors labor(not just the slaves, but all who came after and did their part)?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,735
    every black person on the planet deserves reparations.........

3. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Interesting point of view. I was going to expand on my previous thought, but really didn't know how. This kind of helps. :D

So I present this question for all also; in America, do you believe reparations should be given to all who are black, regardless if they are descendants of the slaves of America? Seeing that being black was all around illegal in this country:rolleyes:, a black man coming as a king from one country, would have had to endure nothing but hardship in this one just because of his skin color. Black was just black, and so most all had to struggle the same.

Should reparations be separated in this respect, or be paid out for more than slavery endured, but all the shaming and evil intent toward all of our skin color and heritage?

4. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

Yes and No, I have even heard that some would tear up a $20,000 check of reparations if they were to receive it.

So do you think "They" deserve it?

As for me and mine, we could find plenty of ways to invest into a form of bringing honor to our ancestors by making sure our upcoming generations benefit from it.

Just imagine them (our ancestors) returning to discover we have their pay checks, and asking what we did with them... some of the responses could vary from:

1. I tore it up and threw it away
    2. I spent it on a new car
    3. I placed it in a savings account with a National Bank
    4. I made an investment in a new school that was based on cultural identity and nation building
    5. I held onto it because I wasn't sure how best to use it

The term "deserve" is really subject, but being that many of us could be considered the "estate" of our ancestors, there would be really no other people that could claim the so called "inheritance" of reparations.

5. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    For me it's not a matter of what I believe so I think reparations are due any African Anerican who can prove that their ancestors were economically disadvantaged by the system of slavery and are still dealing with the legacy of economic inequality. This would at the least eliminate 3 groups. 1. Those who collaborated with the slave masters as slaveowners, 2. Those who migrated here on their own free will and 3. Those who descended primarily from free blacks pre civil war.

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    No ancestor deserved to be a slave, ergo, every descendant deserves reparations.

7. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    I'm up here in Canada trying to locate the other black people who got here through the underground railroad. I simply want to see what became of them and to try and gain some understanding as to how I got here as well. I'm thinking of doing a work entitled: "Canada, The Other Racism". So in all respect, every black person does not deserve reparations. Imagine paying off black people that helped to get us here, who aided the oppressor and who became the vanguard for their rise! IMAGINE THAT!!!!

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

This is certainly good to see and hear.

9. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Whoa! I missed this part:

No, just the descendants of American slaves. "All who came after and did ANY part" came here and did so VOLUNTARILY. Our ancestors fought NOT to come here in chains and shackles, be held in human bondage and worked for free for centuries. Those who came after slavery (after our ancestors had built this country into a world power) came with their eyes open, i.e., they knew what they were getting into and were paid for their labor. They are owed nothing.

Remember, reparations are for SLAVERY..... not for being black.

10. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Imagine paying off black people that helped to get us here, who aided the oppressor and who became the vanguard for their rise! IMAGINE THAT!!!!:(

Whether some of our slave ancestors aided the oppressors is irrelevant...there were brought here against their free will and none of us know what we would have done were we in their position. It is easy to see the moral high ground now that this event is over...who are we today to judge someone who in that time were desperate...today there are STILL many blacks who continue to aid the oppressor, what should we do about them..WHAT ABOUT THE BLACKS WHO ARE IN CONGRESS AND THE US GOVERNMENT who refuse to do what is necessary to help black...They are in the political arena where laws are made but do not benefit blacks...what should we do about them....but the fact remains that IF reparations are to be paid. ALL blacks should receive it.

Money cannot repair the damage that slavery has inflicted on black folks. ALL black folks were taken from Africa. Every black person in the USA whether they are immigrants from other countries including the Caribbean are DESCENDANTS OF SLAVES. The fact that our ancestors were forcibly removed from the motherland and taken to a strange land should cause those who are the descendants of the perpertrators be held accountable. I hope when we talk about reparations we do not just mean Whites who enslaved blacks but Arabs as well.. It seems that when there is talk of slavery, the impression that I get is just Whites who were involved in slavery...but the Arab slave trade was just as brutal.

But how do you put a $ value on the destruction of black family life.
    Many African Americans and blacks throughout the world will never know who their real families are. The sad thing is that we are calling for reparations and even in 2014 slavery is still rearing its ugly by large conglomerate companies.