Black People : Do You Believe in Race?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by river, Jan 23, 2010.

?

Has nature divided humans into distinct races?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey fambly,

Mind you I did not ask do you believe in RACISM but do you believe in RACE.

Has nature divided the human species into distinct groups or have we added meaning to physical variations that have no intrinsic meaning?

If this is a race where is the finish line? What prize awaits the winner and what fate awaits the losers.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Before 1 666

before that year, Black slaves and white slaves, slept in the same shacks together, ate together, worked, together and revolted together.

After 1666, white priveledge was instituted and white slaves were called indentured servants.

The line now that all conspiracy theorists harp is that a race war will greatly benefit the 2% on the top of the economy, and that thier greatest effort is to fan the flames of racial tension, and animosity, to keep poor and working class folks of all races from rebelling against a common opressor.

Growing up around whites in middle class neighborhood, as well as Chinese, and interacting with over 15 diffrernt nationalities in school and at work, I would say that race is definately real, no matter how we may try to deny it.
    Folks have different mindsets among greater groupings,
    dynamic agressives, dynamic assertives, dynamic supportives, mesomorphs, ectomorphs, and endomorphs, and he subgroupings of each of those when divide into race have different attitudes, inclinations, mindsets, and inclinations.
    Racism is pretty much a top down construct of mental manipulation, to ensure economic superiority, because basically no other empire other then the British and this one was founded upon it

3. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    I really do not see it as a matter of belief, nuclear radiation can give one cancer whether they believe in it or not

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace sister River

IMHO, there is no such thing as a "RACE" of people....this term only has power because like so many lies these ******** tell us as children, we give it power by "believing" it to be so soley because they said there is such a thing. EVen when some of us get older and know better we convince ourselves that there must be different "RACES" because we refuse to "believe" that we could have been fooled for most of our lives.

This is one of the main problems across the board on many topics, the simple fact is many hue-man being refuses to acknowledge the fact that we've been fooled for most of our lives on many things. This is why many of us get into debates/arguments over FACT vs. BELIEF.

IMHO

peace

5. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    It is often said that there is no such thing as races...that their is only
    one race....the human race.

Okay, cool... one race; human race.

Call it what one will.

Distinctions...discriminatory activity (pro or con) still exist.

If, for example, parks wasn't arrested for sitting at the front
    of the bus for being of a different race, then what was if for?
    ...Wearing glasses?

6. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    we need to distinguish between race as a social construct, what you describe, and race as science. so sister River's question is a trick question (i'm not saying it was purposeful). race exists as you point out with the example of Mrs. Parks. But is it scientifically valid? now we get into an area that takes some expertise to be able to talk about. I am no expert. most scientists have discounted race as scientifically valid. I agree. Some folks would define race as genetic differences. sickle cell, skull size and shape, etc. but when these genetic differences are laid out along with the rest of the genetic code, these differences defy statistical protocol; that is, the variations across different peoples are random, small, and some are shared with others so that groups cannot be made from them. Thus race cannot be made into a science.

some folks get mad -
    I have felt racism all my life!
    the middle passage was real!

Racism is real
    race as a tool of oppression is real

the push to create a science to back up the ideology was done by white supremacists and is real

race as social construct is real
    race as science is not real

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Peace Raptor

- it could have been according to this system and it's unwritten laws..lol

for example: Reckless eyeballing

According to this white system she was arrested for being of a different "RACE", but i thought the question of this thread was about what WE feel "RACE" is or if it even exists, not what they who created the word thought? We know what they think about it, it is another one of their tools for dividing us to make appear as if they are the majority on the earth.

So from your position, yes she was arrested for her so-called "RACE", but on a deeper level she was arrested for disobeying this bull-ish system of white supremecy. If she were "white" at the time and went to get a haircut in a white man's barbershop, or seen in a place where only "white" men got together like in one of their social clubs she might not have been physically arrested, but she would have more than likely become an outcast and at that time it would have meant the same thing...because she as a "white" woman went against that same system that sister parks went against....IMHO

peace

8. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    I dig it.

9. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    With all due respect dear heart this is a question of strategy

If the opressor does not care what we believe or not , but believes in White supremacy,

how do we defeat that white supremacy without a race first attitude whether we believe wholeheartedly in the concept or not?

If a Black man owns a gun, in a racist isolated area, to defend his family, does that mean he is a killer or a violent person?

Like Malcolm said, yes we have our own language, we were the creators of language, but if "the man" speaks a language, and has his foot on our neck,

then we need to learn to speak his language;
    and then some dialogue can take place

or as they call it in todays computer age
    detent

10. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    As awo said there is a difference between what has a scientific empirical basis and that which is merely a social construct. We must go beyond asking is something real because perception is reality and there are as many different realities as there are perceptions. If I have power over you then my perceptions of you become your reality because I can make you do what I want If I perceive there is such a thing as race and in my mind classify you as belonging to a race which I don't think should sit at the front of the bus and I have the power to make you move to the back of the bus then race becomes a reality for you and for me. But doesn't mean that race exist outside my perception and my ability to force my perception on you.

And that is what I am asking. does race exist outside the constructs of human minds? Is there a natural classification, either taxonomic or genetic into which human beings are categorized?

Species is the last taxonomic classification of plants and animals. Kingdom, phylum, class, order, family,genus and species. It is clear that all humans belong to the same species. If this were not so then someone like Obama could exist but he would have no children because organisms of different species cannot bear fertile offspring.

Now there are those who would tell us that humans are the only species on Earth that can be further divided into races. There are no races in any other species that I know of. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can point them out to me so that I may be enlightened.

Again as awo pointed out there are no genetic characteristics that are unique to any one group. There are Africans with naturally blue eyes but infants born with such eyes in the United States were killed by their slave masters to create what has now become common sense that only white people have blue eyes. These murderers were able to make there desires into realities but no man-made reality will ever be raised to the level of empirical truth. Any oppressed group that faces reality will survive within the confines of that reality but if they never question the reality created by their oppressors they will remain oppressed.