Black People : Do you believe being "black" should be more exclusive?

Angela22

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 26, 2013
I ask this question because I was recently reminded of a debate I had here on Destee maybe a few months back; which thread I had this debate in escapes me, however, so I present it again in a new thread.

Do you believe being black should be more exclusive? That's to say that not anyone with a drop of "black blood" should be able to call themselves apart of our community?

I remember one part of my argument was that any with 51% or more of black blood should be able to call themselves apart, but that wasn't a fixed point; it was just something I was throwing out there at the time as I was expanding on my point.

But now I ask, what are your thoughts on this?

i do find it kinda crazy that we still hang on to this one drop rule - which - correct me if im wrong - was something white people brought in - you even get things on tv like on Oprah or something where she looks at some guy who look swedish and goes... so you never knew you were black? interstingly the people never seem to go 'oh no i aint im white' - maybe on Oprah that would be a bad move anyways....
Now i know in another thread i said Beyonce was black and beyonce was half-creole and people sorta went wth you on about? - now i know black people here are quite mixed anyways but were talkin here about a girl whos mix is visible in her still livin parents - not some white who got in there 3 or 5 generations back or something - so yep her dads black - her moms mixed of creole descent - shes half-mixed then AND black
now how come i say that? - well to me someone whos black is someone of african ancestry - who IDENTIFIES as black - they tell people there black - they put black on forms - they take an interest in black things and black history an so on - being black isnt purely about dna and color - i dont think you can put a percentage on it - someone might be 60% white and identify as black - someone with 50% white might identify as white - all sorts of things will determine how someone of recently mixed ancestry will identify - things like skin shade - facial features - exposure mainly to black or white culture - neighborhood - identification with one parent more than the other and a host of other no doubt - some will have to actually think about it - others will just feel black or white or mixed from early childhood

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back