Black People : Do you believe being "black" should be more exclusive?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Angela22, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I ask this question because I was recently reminded of a debate I had here on Destee maybe a few months back; which thread I had this debate in escapes me, however, so I present it again in a new thread.

Do you believe being black should be more exclusive? That's to say that not anyone with a drop of "black blood" should be able to call themselves apart of our community?

I remember one part of my argument was that any with 51% or more of black blood should be able to call themselves apart, but that wasn't a fixed point; it was just something I was throwing out there at the time as I was expanding on my point.

But now I ask, what are your thoughts on this?

2. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    i do find it kinda crazy that we still hang on to this one drop rule - which - correct me if im wrong - was something white people brought in - you even get things on tv like on Oprah or something where she looks at some guy who look swedish and goes... so you never knew you were black? interstingly the people never seem to go 'oh no i aint im white' - maybe on Oprah that would be a bad move anyways....
    Now i know in another thread i said Beyonce was black and beyonce was half-creole and people sorta went wth you on about? - now i know black people here are quite mixed anyways but were talkin here about a girl whos mix is visible in her still livin parents - not some white who got in there 3 or 5 generations back or something - so yep her dads black - her moms mixed of creole descent - shes half-mixed then AND black
    now how come i say that? - well to me someone whos black is someone of african ancestry - who IDENTIFIES as black - they tell people there black - they put black on forms - they take an interest in black things and black history an so on - being black isnt purely about dna and color - i dont think you can put a percentage on it - someone might be 60% white and identify as black - someone with 50% white might identify as white - all sorts of things will determine how someone of recently mixed ancestry will identify - things like skin shade - facial features - exposure mainly to black or white culture - neighborhood - identification with one parent more than the other and a host of other no doubt - some will have to actually think about it - others will just feel black or white or mixed from early childhood

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    :SuN020:

i'm black.
    i have my doubts about the rest of yall.......​

4. souljah_71

souljah_71 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    Lol, that was funny. I'm constantly reminded of my being black daily by ALL races including blacks.

5. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

Go Bro. James:lol::rofl::rofl1:

6. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    James your comment is so funny and each time I remember it I am LOL

7. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    You are black and I might add a goodlooking black man too:p:lol::lol:

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,126

If that one drop gets black/negro/African-American put on your birth certificate, how can you deny people that birth right? Moreover, in that this is historic, what is your cut off point?

9. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    That's the whole confusion, up until slavery comes and white supremacy, there was no such thing as white or Black people, there were nations. To let anyone with a so called one drop blood in your midst is like inviting an FBI spy in the Black panther party, it will be your downfall, this why you have colorism in our community today high yellow get more benefits than darker because they are closer resemblance to the slave master. It's a terrible idea. The question you should ask you self is what nation are you from and how can your nation rebuild itself?

10. Dreya

Dreya Well-Known Member MEMBER

Applied computer arts
    Ratings:
    +312
    Thing is your birth certificate if your mixed might say your white or black - i might be wrong - but i think the law changed in 1989 - before then if the parents were black and white the kid was put down as black - since then the kid has been put down as the race of the mom - puttin down more than one race - in other words tickin more than one box has been allowed since around 2003 but theres still no box labelled multiracial to tick.... so theres a whole set of people goin round who may be down as white in the gov stats who are mixed and probably only a small percent of them will identify as white - most will identify as black or mixed