Black People : Do We Really Love Our Own

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by dunwiddat, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,504
    Haiti has suffered so much at the hands of the French and the White Americans....but what is so tragic is the way their black family are treating them.

The Bahamas recently returned a number of Haitians to Haiti...

Jamaica does the same thing.

I can imagine the pain in the hearts of families who are trying to make a better life for themselves.
    I know there are harsh economic problems in every country, but it seems that the black folks from this country are the wretched of the earth. Politicians talk, and talk, but nothing is being done. Just recently two members of Parliament in Haiti resigned.

What message is Jamaica and Bahamas sending...when some of their own folks go to the USA seeking a better life. The whole episode is mind boggling. The situation in Haiti cannot be solved overnight but I believe that the plight of the Haitian people should be the concern of ALL black people. Those who have ruled Haiti should hang their heads in shame. Black leaders whether they are in Haiti or Africa must realise that corruptionMUST GO. When you read about the suffering of black folks in Africa and Haiti can we say it is all the white man's fault? You can read articles all the time on Haiti and it seems it is a forgotten country.

Just recently Boko Horam Islamists in Nigeria received about 4 million dollars in ransom from a French family where they held them captive. I am sure that money will not go to help Africans. What will these people do with that money albeit money gotten by blackmail (this is what ransom payment is)
    There is a lot of talk about white supremacy, but as black folks what are we doing to help those who are suffering.

When I first came here on Destee I saw a post on Haiti and lo and behold not a comment. Perhaps many have a world view that is seen only through the USA eyes. As a black person it grieves me to see how the international world is behaving and worse yet the way black leaders in Haiti are treating their own and also other black countries.

2. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,452
    We're selective.

3. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,452
    You sure do expect a lot from black people in America...Can barely get ourselves out of this BS we got over here...Truth be told...we got to help ourselves before we can help anyone else....that's just my opinion.

4. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,504
    I agree...My main point is that even the discussion on Haiti does not generate discussion. When I look at the situation in USA I realise that there is so much wrong and I agree that home drum beats first . My concern is that the black poltical leaders just don't care... so why should others... The plight of black people around the world is real pathetic.

5. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,452
    I think we expect too much from ourselves as black people...At the end of the day we're just humans...And skin color doesn't automatically mean that we're gonna sacrifice ourselves for one another or unite. Put any wrong man in power (regardless of skin color) and it's gonna be a problem period.

6. noor100

noor100 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +566
    There are unsung heros in many communities and organizations making a difference.

[working with and mentoring the youth]
    setting up free clinics
    helping and feeding the poor
    volunteering their time at hospitals,etc.
    building houses for low income families
    etc.
    etc.

And this is what needs to be done, in spite of the governments. Yes too many don't care enough but there's always those that do.

7. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,504
    [working with and mentoring the youth]
    setting up free clinics
    helping and feeding the poor
    volunteering their time at hospitals,etc.
    building houses for low income families
    etc.
    etc.

A journey of a thousand miles begin with small steps. For those who are involved in this, I am happy that it is happening. We must put our money where our mouths are. For those who in dire need at times a helping hand can mean the difference between a young man or woman ending up on the streets with drugs. Once we show folks that we care, I am sure they will appreciate it.

Thanks noor100 for responding.:)

8. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,935
    Not sure of the focus of the convo you're looking for but I'll take a shot.

While it's sad that ILLEGAL alien Haitians couldn't find economic refuge in the Bahamas or Jamaica, every nation has to protect its soverign borders (here President Obama and I, again, disagree). Think about what would happen if Haitians entering those countries illegally were welcomed - proll... no guaranteed they would act as African-Americans who left the South during the Great Migration acted, i.e., they would send for their friends and relatives. Like with African-Americans, once their friends and relatives found jobs, housing, etc., the illegal Haitians would put the word out to come on doooown! to the Bahamas/Jamaica! Soon, just as in an approximate 20 year time period, black Americans went from being a mainly Southern, rural population to a mainly northern/urban one in OUR forefathers' quests for a "better life for their families," the Bahamas and Jamaica would be overrun with illegals and Haiti would be de-populated.

"To make a better life for themselves and their families" is not a legitimate reason for borders-busting. If it were, there would be no debate on Mexican (mainly) illegals in the U.S. today.

I feel ya. I've often wondered what the Haitians did to God that He so punishes them? (I'm being facetious! God's will is His will and blessed be the name of the Lord).

Bahamians and Jamaicans are coming to this country LEGALLY. That is the diff. As for the message: that they have soverign borders that no other nationals may trespass.

Thinking of the 20 MILLION Illegals in this country (12 MILLION of them Mexican nationals) that the President is exerting all his energies and the power of his presidency and the federal government to keep, protect, and send their Illegal kids to college on free scholarships, I almost wrote the Haitians ought to come to this country! Unfortunately for the Haitians, I remembered, they're black, and where President Obama is concerned, the status quo is the way to go when it comes to blacks.

Note: I know I'm upsetting, distressing even, some of you when I point out that Obama does nothing for black people while he bends over backward to promote gay and illegal causes, but my love doesn't come cheap and certainly not free. We are in a position to FORCE the first black president to act on our behalf. So long as we give him (or any other politician) a "pass" on ignoring, dissing even, black Americans, he will continue to do so. The days of the racists being on his back and him needful of our knee-jerk UNCONDITIONAL support are over. Time to pay the piper, i.e., the ONLY demograpic that voted 97% for him!

But I digress...

.... like President Obama? (maybe others, but I have NO intention of giving the brutha a free pass! And, distressing or not, it is hypocritical of any black person to chastise or condemn African nations with black heads of state on the basis of they are black like us while acting as if black Obama is some kind of 'sacred cow', is somehow the "exception").

First, while it may not be ALL the white man's fault, corruption is ALL the white man's colonial legacy.

Secondly, when I read the MANY articles on Haiti, it seems to me the situation there is being held up as PROOF of black incompetency to rule outselves moreso than forgotten. And I fear a lot of black people have swallowed that propaganda.

A lot.... within our means. At least black Americans do. I read a study once where it stated that black Americans give more money, proportionately, to charitable causes than any other race. Just as you cared enough to post this thread about our suffering brothers and sisters in Haiti, black Americans care about less fortunate black people.

I think you're right about most black Americans viewing the world ONLY through U.S. eyes. They're seeing the home front as needful and a large number are responding. For those of us with a worldview, we also do what we can within our means. But.... since we won't even demand that the POTUS help his own black American people, it goes that we would never dream of asking him to help Haitians. psssst! He can increase the number of Haitians who may enter the country legally, you know.

But he won't.

Sorry if my insistence on ACCOUNTABILITY from the first black president distresses you or others, but this is what happens when you ask questions. You sometimes get answers you may not like. :news:

9. dunwiddat

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,504

Thanks for your comments. You have said a lot for me to think about.:)