Black People : Do we really appreciate Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by nevar, Oct 25, 2005.

1. nevar

nevar Well-Known Member MEMBER

working to own my plus size empire.....
    Ratings:
    +135
    i just like to say that the world should be thankful that a giant such as her did what she done. we are as one in god eyes not man eyes but god. we are all gods children whether any one wants to listen. god wanted us to love one another and live in peace and harmony. but unfortunatley it didn't happen that way. what she did started a movement that will never be forgotten. i didn't grow up in the 60's but i heard how hard it was to be back in the day. with the whites only sign and the colored sign. how everything was divided whites in the front door while blacks in the back. if you ask me we are still this way now. it just not as open as it was back then. look at the justice system. it so divided that black people don't have a leg to stand on. martin luther king paved a way for people who grew up in the late 70's to enjoy what was fought for. Rev. jackson.medgar evers, ralph h. bunche and the list go on should be applauded for standing up what is right. we all go to church we are created equal but in that time they wasnt. thats why she Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat number one she had been working all day feet hurting. and a man told her to get up because he was suppose to sit there. if i was in her position i wouldn't either. if he wanted the seat he should have gotten there first. and second he wasnt no man because a man always suppose to be a gentlemen no matter what his color is. notice how the man doesn't have a name for what he tried to do. we don't glorify the man we rever the Lady who stood strong and fast like Job. and because of her faith she is rewarded with a lifetime of recognition. its amazing how Martin Luther spoke in his I have a dream speech that he fortold how we would unite as one. but what would have him rolling in his grave how once upon a time black people looked out for another and didn't try to kill one another. my stepdad is from the old school if he did something wrong in the community that your neighbor didn't like he got spank and then told to his mother and he got spanked again. now you get shot for reprimanding someone child who's not your own. tell me when did we not give a [email protected] anymore. when we stop caring or believing one another. did all what was faught for equal rights before us was this done in vain. oh what a web this black america have weaved. the leaders are looking down on us probably shaking their heads on what us blacks have become. greed, hatred is all a dirty sin. we have to change for the good or god is going to destroy this world like he did in noah time. will you get on the boat if this tragedy fall upon us or would you be blind like the others perish forever. So i ask anyone who reads this Do you really appreciate the fine upstanding Pioneers as Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King?

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

Not only Rosa and Martin, but Marcus, Malcom, Stokely, Kwame Nkrumah, Nelson Mandela, H. Rap Brown, Fred Hampton, Jim Brown, Bill Russell, Jackie Robinson, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Assata Shakur, Shirley Chisolm, Cynthia McKenney, Camille Cosby, Harriet Tubman the list goes on and on.

3. nevar

Ratings:
    +135
    i thankyou truly for recognizing some fine pioneers we need to know so we can appreciate what we have today.

4. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Um..i appreciate Martin luther king. Rosa Parkes to me seems like more of a figure head of the time. I dont cauctiously dismiss what she did.. because it was something she could have died for. But.. before then.. she was doing nothing. I was watching the tribute to Rosa on t.v and her cousin said that they werre raised to believe that she was just as good as anybody else.. if she really felt that way.. then i ask her.. why she aint sit her behind down before then.. and why she didnt have about 20 more black people sit down with her as well.. she didnt protest for our people until after.. her not giving up her seat was her protest.. she said herself "im tired" .. not we tired.. but im tired.. physically.. not mentally.. cause mentally i would have been tired a long time ago before she decided to stand up for herself.. and not her people. After she has become an icon.. why? because we made her one.. she has profited handsomely from her protest not to give up her seat.. i see her speaking..here and there. But i dont see where she has truly given back to the cummunity that has idolized her so. Thats just my opinion.

5. nevar

Ratings:
    +135
    thanks poetic for replying and your right you are entitled to your opinion. i never thought of that in that situation. could you yourself endure what the blacks before us endure. the beatings, the hangings, spraying firehoses, putting dogs not just on children but men and women. we all if the chance was presented would have stood up for the cause but maybe someone close to her told her to stay neutral. maybe she was needed on that particular moment insteading of marching. don't forget about the church bombings in Ala and emerson till who was killed by men for whistling at a white woman. all the bloodshed had to stop one day. maybe something as peaceful as what she did was the right time and moment.

6. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Rosa Parks worked for the NAACP. They had something going for them until after the civil rights movement and they sold out. I think she was a secretary. She said she was tired mentally as well as physically and that the whole process was just wrong. So she refused to give up her seat. During those times too. Many black woman cleaned the hotels and did house cleaning on a personal basis like the mexican immigrants are doing now. My mother worked at a large hotel for many years.

We got along more because we had a common enemy that we saw and had to deal with everyday. Couldn't sit in the front o fthe bus, not at the counter in Woolworths, and couldn't enter the front doors of hotels. Freight elevators we had to ride. They ones with music was off limits. Ask your Parents and Relatives while they are alive. Know your History!

They say no one wants to do those jobs... Like Richard Pryer said: America went and got themselves some new Negroes ( but he used the Ni??er word ).

Martin was 27 when he got involved. I admire this man and grew up admiring him. At ten I watched the civil rights marching and asked my father to frame a color picture I cut from the front page of a Time magazine. That picture I saw it hanging in my brothers house ( 39 years later ) today. I visited his house in Atlanta and the church he preached at and went to his center. That was a spritual experience for me. I dropped out of the tour and lingered in the rooms and in his backyard.. I felt his sprit in that house.

Have you read " Where do we go from here: Chaos or Community?

Beacon Press, Boston 1967 - ISBN 0-8070-0571-1

This book written by Martin shares some his thoughts on why the movement failed shortly after it started.

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I truely honor sista parks as well many others who made a stand
    for many reasons and it's another reason why we as people shouldn't
    let it die or be turned away nor should we continue to divide ourselves
    but stand as these great people did .....we too are living Icons we have
    the tools to be as great .....Thankz for sharing this

8. nevar

Ratings:
    +135
    i appreciate you bro. hodee and rich for your input. i really appreciate how you shed light on how it used to be back in the day. see like i said i was born in the late seventies and i thank god i wasn't raised in that civil right movement era. because think about some of your families worked for the white race and if they heard you was apart of that movement you probably was tortured or fired. so think about it is the cause more important or your family. must your family suffer because of injustice. the real importance is you recognizing the cause and try to support all you can. but if your life and job is on the line i would be neutral until the moment comes. i'm a single mother i'll fight for equal rights all day long but when it comes to feeding my family family first. you walk the line see how many is coming to help you if you don't have anything to eat, or clothes on your back, or help you to get your lights back on. Nada because they will talk from a distance shaking their head on how you would risk losing your job because of the cause. believe this have happen and then they found out all of it was about hype. its like whats stated some of us talk the talk but can we walk the walk you be the judge.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Sister Poetic, actually Rosa Parks had been arrested as early as 1942 for violating the Jim Crow seating arrangements on mass transportation in Montgomery... She did it as a member of the NAACP, which she had been a member of since the 1930's, when Dr. King was just a small child... She later was arrested in 1947, for doing the very same thing, when Doc was about 18 years old, and sophomore at Morehouse...

Remember, Mrs. Rosa made her transition two days ago at age 92, and had been studying non-violence techniques at the Highlander Institute founded by White Appalachian activist, Miles Horton, again, while Doc was but a mere highschool student... Mrs. Rosa, Septima Clark, Mrs. Ella Jo Baker, Joanne Robinson, and a host of African Women paid some serious prices, including the breakup of their marriages in the case of Mr.s Rosa, so Doc could be put, literally, on this high pedastal... It is dead wrong...

Doc came to his prominence because E.D. Nixon sought him out, instead of the milquetoast old ministers who'd been cooperating with White Supremacy for forever... He sought him out because he knew Doc was from outta town, and a young intelligent guy whom he could actually manipulate in ways the older ones could not be... We must read our history more closely... Too many of our greatest fighters for freedom remain anonymous, because America likes messiahs... Messiahs aint messiahs without brilliant and corageous followers... Doc had a great many of those to be sure...

Lastly, brother/sister NEVAR, even Rosa's story is a bit embellished... As I pointed out to you, She'd done the sit-down, get arrested things on several occassions, previously, and gotten no fanfare... This time, it was publicized to a people who were still angry over the Emmett Till Murder just two months earlier... Historians are,now, beginning to see THAT incident as the number one motivating factor for the modern civil rights movement, because it got so many YOUNG PEOPLE angry... When many of the SNCC, Black Panther, Black Muslims, and other fighters of that era are questioned and interviewed about what made them get involved in the movement, a large, large percentile of these, now older veterans of the movement, say it was the murder of Emmett Louis Till, that put a fire underneath them that would not be put out... Add to that the returning veterans of WWII and Korea, who were treated no differently when they returned as before they'd left... You have the nucleus of a movement for change, and not a messiah in sight...

Truth is, Poetic or anyone else, what was DOC DOING prior to 1955-56????

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    To add to that, the Montgomery Buss Boycott was not even the first successful boycott of Jim Crow transportation by southern African Americans... It was the 1953 BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA BUS BOYCOTT led by the Reverend T.J. JEMISON that emerged victorious first... I posted a very large and informative article about it in the Honoring The Ancestors forum... Check it out, and remember the name T.J. JEMISON, for future reference...

Peace!
    Isaiah