Black People : Do They Wish They Were Black???

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by mywordsfly, Feb 17, 2013.

1. mywordsfly

mywordsfly Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    Ok, so I'm sure someone else has thought it---White people are just jealous! There it is--that solves everything!

In essence, I suppose the title is what I am going to say, but let me get a little deeper into what a witnessed that lead me to come to such an odd conclusion.

I watched this video the other day:

Vice Documentaries are a little bit of a...vice for me, because it's run by these white kids and sometimes their ignorance really shows through in their distaste for where they are in the world. BUT they are looking in on issues not many others are looking into.

At any rate, this one is about the "English Jersey Shore." If you watch the video, try not to roll your eyes too much at the extravagant white ladies who everyone describes as "down to earth".
    Essentially, what I focused on was, these white men "body build" to become extravagantly large, AND as part of all this, they tan. We all know that. "Tan". But it's not what the usual tan is, of course. They aren't even orange-tan. They are full on, BROWN SKIN tan, darker than a lot of men I know.

So I knew that already, what's the big deal? Here is where it was weird for me:

One man openly admitted women do not find it attractively. He stated that those who usually notice them are the "young lads" (!!!!). He also admitted tanning was probably very unhealthy. BUT he says he does this for the "confidence" and so do the men around him. What, exactly, is giving him confidence? OR what is it about brown skin that he is equating with confidence?

Is it me or were they attempting to personify the African warrior? They were trying to be the biggest and brownest men, which is not to say that's all it takes to be an African warrior, just that white people tend to take other cultures at face value. I will not go into how ridiculous it seemed to me that after all this strength and paint they did not go hunt for their families, but rather posed, mostly naked, in front of a crowd, but whatever.

But think about it, they are constantly ripping off so-called "tribal" attributes (from any place from India to Hawaii) and kind of just claiming it as theirs.

Was I reading too much into this? Is body building just a sport like any other, or is there some kind of underlying something within this that I didn't even consider?

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    are you a white person?

3. mywordsfly

mywordsfly Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +599
    No. I'm half Black half Hispanic.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Perhaps, but try and relax and look at it this way... Genetics...

Anyone having recessive alleles would reasonably make strides to improve themselves physically, or reasonably should. But when you are the eponymy for racism, in this case, white racism supremacy; its difficult to be a mutant recessive, and at the same time project a sense of superiority.

It doesn't add up or make sense that folk having non-dominant genes are superior; and this becomes the conundrum you and others face, as it relates to the tanning and improvement processes that white folk undergo.

Peace In,

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i don't spend a lot of time concerning myself over what white people do.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

I don't even need to watch the video to answer your title question.

No, such white people do not "wish they were Black." No white person would ever want to BE Black. Yes, they may imitate/re-create some physical features or other African characteristics.

But, no, they wouldn't ever wish to BE Black, abandoning the White Privilege their majority-controlled culture and society affords them.

No matter how they may change their physical appearances, they still maintain "the complexion for the protection" and all it entails.

As for tanning, at one time in white culture/society, it was considered "low-brow" and "common" for a white woman to be tanned. The WHITER her skin denoted her station/status in society. --- Only "COMMON" people had browned skin because they were out in the sun, working, walking, etc.. --- But, "high-society" white women made sure to protect themselves from the sun with hats/long sleeves and also carrying a covering like a "parasol" (aka "umbrella) when out in the day-time.

Then, over time, WHITE SOCIETY dictated that BROWN skin was acceptable, even fashionable for WHITE PEOPLE. So, white people started tanning. ----- Yet, that same white society still continued/continues to degrade Black people based on the color of our skin.

For thousands of years, Black women have been braiding/corn-rowing their hair; but it became a "FASHION RAVE" when WHITE SOCIETY saw Bo Derek with her hair braided in the movie, "10" in 1979.

According to WHITE SOCIETY, the full lips, full hips and full-breasted features of African-descended women were considered UGLY and grotesque.

But, then over time, WHITE SOCIETY deemed these same features as PRETTY when on a WHITE WOMAN..... NOW, such so-called "ETHNIC" features are considered a mark of beauty.
    (Angelina Jolie, for example)

So, yes, anything that white society imitates and recreates from African-descendants is considered acceptable FOR THEM but can still be deemed as a mark of inferiority for Blacks.

No, they don't wanna BE Black......Such white people just think they can DO Black better than Black people can!

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    they are wrong...

[​IMG]

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Oh, WE know that. But THEY are still disillusioned enough to think otherwise.

9. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    We all know "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

However, what I was speaking to was how WHITE SOCIETY will dictate, set the parameters for what "beauty" is.

So, whenever Black women are compared to THEIR "standard of beauty," of course we come up SHORT.

And this mindset/poisoning is evident within us in our hair with perms and our skin color with bleaching creams, colored contacts, etc....anything to be as close to white as possible.

How sadly ironic that THEY often imitate US in terms of "beauty" and so many of us are imitating THEM by denying are natural states.

smh.

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    ???:10500:???​