Black Women : Do our desires make us unhappy?

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by imper, May 25, 2010.

1. imper

imper Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I recently watched a YouTube clip by Sylvester Mobley that I found extremely interesting. Since I've seen the clip I've been asking as many people as possible about their opinion on the topic. In the clip he talks about how desires that are not natural to us, such as material desires manufactured by the media are the cause of our unhappiness. I've been asking as many people as possible because it's something that I never thought about before, but makes a lot of sense to me the way he puts it. So, what do you think? Is it our unnatural desires as black women that make us unhappy?

If you want to check out the YouTube clip you can go to YouTube and search for Sylvester Mobley.

2. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    Thanks for sharing. I listened to the clip and agree that natural desires will not make you happy. I won't preach, but we were not created for natural purposes, so if that's what one is tied to, happiness will never be your friend. We are spirit before we are man and woman. Do you live by your flesh alone OR are you feeding your spirit man? When I use my life to glorify my Father, everything else comes together. Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these THINGS will be added unto you, Amen.

3. imper

imper Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with what you said. It's just funny how sometimes we start moving so fast in life we get so caught up and forget the basics like this. I know I did.

4. Proverbs31Woman

Proverbs31Woman Be kinder than necessary! MEMBER

Ratings:
    +877
    You are so right. The natural empire that we build will fall on us if the foundation isn't right. I was there and learned the hard way, but I learned!

5. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    I believe this is part of the problem, certainly. When we go for things unnatural, we still have to face everyday how these things aren't truly apart of us, thus, we have to face our real selves and for many that is not easy; that is especially with society always telling us to hate ourselves because they say we can never be well enough before any.

Make up isn't your real face, hair extensions isn't your real hair, corsets isn't your real shape, heels aren't your real height, colored contacts aren't your real eyes, and fake nail aren't really your nails. Having to face where you feel you lack can tear a person down from the inside out, but if it isn't face, you're only going to delude yourself further setting yourself up for an even greater fall.

Also, certain other unnatural desires which kind of go passed material but can be connected to it does hinder as well. Like a desire to be with a man at all costs; that's not natural nor is it right, but going after such a desire will wreck a woman's life because she will make any and all excuses to stay with him regardless of how the relationship actually turns out. This is dangerous and many times fatal. Though they say they're happy, they're not but only feel justified as a woman by having any guy at her side.

These things do take from happiness, but with them taken away from you, then you can finally see clearly where happiness truly lay.

6. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    :toast:

People get caught up in the things that really do not matter. Happiness depends on CIRCUMSTANCES....BUT JOY comes from the Lord. Until we all realise it we will be chasing the wind.

7. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    Yes it can make one unhappy...I believe the media is built around the insecurity of others...Look at the rap/r&b videos and all the "bling" they show off, all the money they throw around and brag about.

Most of us who live in lower to middle class cannot relate to having these lavish things. It causes people to do foolish things in order to attain these materialistic things.

Moreover as black women...Yes, we see these women in the videos with big butts or they are light skinned, and you have women doing ungodly things to their body to be desired by men who only value their physical image.

Then we have the other side of this so-called "glamorization"...Where they show these models as being rail thin...Fortunately, I feel black women are less likely to be affected by this image.

These unnatural materialistic things is not something that we cannot take with us when our time on earth is done.

EDIT: "cannot"

8. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Let's see a replay on that one!

9. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    This is so tragic... :(

10. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Yes because people want things that don't go together.

You want a man with money that doesn't work all the time. Or you want a thin fit woman who can cook like your grandmother. Or You want an sexually uninhibited woman who is a virgin. A man who knows how to treat women but you want to come before his mother. These things don't go together but it doesn't stop people from wanting them.