Black People : Do Native Americans / Indians celebrate Thanksgiving ? ... How do they observe this day?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Family ... do Native Americans / Indians 'nem ... celebrate Thanksgiving ?

(What is the most respectful way to say it ... Native Americans, Indians ... what?)

How do they observe this day ?

If one enjoys the day off from work, benefit of the day, are they "celebrate'n" Thanksgiving ?

Them dere iz da questions ... if you wanna take a poke at 'em ... :teach:

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

2. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +599
    Why on earth would or should they?

What possible upside does the USA and all of the other European controlled countries being formed in the Americas on their ancestors territory in general have for them, as opposed to being a reminder of just how many indigenous cultures have been completely exterminated by the ongoing White Supremacist Racist onslaught?

Australia’s aboriginals who find themselves less than 3rd class citizens in their homeland [with no rights or even reservations of their own] have a day of mourning on the day their PALEFACE conquerors [literally exterminated all of the indigenous Tasmanians] celebrate the arrival of Captain Cook in Botany Bay; in that while the whites are celebrating, a large group of them gather further down the beach and throw a funeral wreath into the water/acknowledging all their ancestors for whom the coming of whites literally meant DEATH.

Isn’t ANYONE who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE?

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Do I celebrate Thanksgiving? No, I don't celebrate. But I do take advantage of the holiday and get together with family and friends to share a large meal without once thinking of the Thanksgiving in 1621. I think it is the same in many Native households. It is ironic that Thanksgiving takes place during American Indian and Alaskan Native Heritage Month. An even greater irony is that more Americans today identify the day after Thanksgiving as Black Friday than as National American Indian Heritage Day.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2160786/

Most "natives" that I know prefer to be identified as American Indian, as in the American Indian Movement (AIM).

4. I'm Becoming Me

I'm Becoming Me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Lover & Fighter...
    Ratings:
    +1,219
    To me, it's just a day to get together with friends and loved ones and an excuse to overeat. :lol: I wouldn't say I celebrate it at all to be honest....

I seriously doubt Native Americans do....

5. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    In taking participation of the two words, thanking for giving... yes. Other than that I don't think anyone really celebrates the distant history. As far as I'm concerned you can call Thanksgiving "Getting Together Day" and Christmas "Getting Together Day: The Sequel". No one has to be tied down by others definitions and mindsets when most are plainly chillin', nothing more, nothing less.

6. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Not that I know of; but they do take the time to share the actual history behind what people think they are celebrating.

Just like with any group, it depends on the individual you are speaking with, most of all. Some don't like being called "Indians", just like some black folk don't like being called "black". I have seen that "Native" isn't taken so offensively, though.

As stated above, as a day to tell the truth.

Not necessarily. You know when you're observing the day, and when you're just taking advantage of what surrounds the day. I don't observe the particular day, but I still buy turkey, because it's there and I like turkey. I don't cook it for that day, but for any day I feel like eating it. :10500:

When I observe giving thanks, it's on more days than one, and with my family and friends, members of the church, not necessarily surrounding a big ol' bird in the middle of the table. lol

7. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    :lol:

8. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
  9. Alarm Clock

Alarm Clock Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,030
  10. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    I have friends that are natives (navajo) and they celebrate it just like everyone.
    We would kid about it, but they said at the end of the day you can't change What happened, just build off of it.