Black People : Do moderators and administrators on these boards see our IP addresses?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by miss, Feb 18, 2006.

1. miss

miss Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I just came from another black website and was a bit disturbed to find out that the moderators and administrators could see every member's IP address if they wanted to. I won't be going back there again, but would still like to chat in black forums. So is that the case for the moderators and administrators here?

2. miss

miss Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone answer? It's imporatant for me to know.

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    welcome to our house........

i don't think we are that well organized to be able to do that.
    i've never thought of even trying it but maybe destee herself can. i just don't know.

did they do anything harmful to you at the other place? our moderators are generally pretty sound and stable and so you should be secure here.
    why don't you give us a try?

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    it's saturday and things are slow.
    it may take a minute for someone to wander by.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Miss ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

Yes, every site you visit on the Internet can see your IP address, including this one.

Some sites allow everyone to see everyone's IP. We could do that here too, but we choose to make it available to only Moderators and Administrators (for management purposes only), in an attempt to maintain as much of our Members privacy as possible.

They have services that users can buy, that will mask your IP address, allowing you to surf anonymously.

If you don't buy one of these, i'm not sure how you can keep your IP invisible to others, and still utilize the net.

Even if you buy one of the above, i'm sure there are some government entities that could still get this information if they wanted it. Basically, there's very little private on the Internet, or anyone that will be able to guarantee that no one in the whole wide world can find out your IP address.

Don't let this frighten you away from the Internet though, as what applies to you, applies to most all of us.

:heart:

Destee

6. miss

miss Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, what do you do with these IP addresses? Is it so that you can tell where people are? So that you can suspend people? So that you know how many s/ns someone has? I just wanna know. . .

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Miss ... it's really the way the infra-structure of the Internet is made up. It's just the way it works. When you log onto the Internet, an IP address is assigned to your session. Right off the top. If you don't even surf, just log on, and log off, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) knows you did that and what IP they assigned you for that session. Depending on if you have a dynamic or static IP, the IP may change with each time you log on, but it can always be traced back to you.

Once you start surfing, after logging into the Internet, every click you make, can be traced and there's someone (your local ISP) that has this information. You've heard of how folk have come up missing, or dead, and the police can get their computer and know the sites they last visited, before coming up missing or dead? This is how they do that.

So, as you travel the net, sites you visit can see that IP address.

The corresponding sites can use it to determine how many unique visitors they are receiving, which of those visitors are posting ugly things, a host of different ways the information can be used from a site management point of view.

It's nothing to be afraid of Sister. It's just the way the whole thing works.

If you have more questions, just ask.

:heart:

Destee

8. Dark_Energy

Dark_Energy Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Proxy servers mask IP adress.That is how IP banning has become obselete....