Black Spirituality Religion : Do Middle-Eastern Muslims Have Different Religious Practices than African Muslims?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Victoria87, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Victoria87

Victoria87 Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I was just wondering if there were different teachings between African Muslims and Middle-Eastern Muslims. I don't mean like huge differences on what exactly they believe in, I mean like rules that go along with the religion. I have one friend from Bangledesh who is super serious about her religion and what it means to be a good Muslim and all that. Then there's this one kid from Africa who came here three years ago (not sure from what country, but he already spoke English when he arrived) who is also super serious about being a good Muslim. However, he does certain things that confuse my friend. Like, he refuses to listen to any kind of music at any time because he says it will damage or dirty his mind (something like that), whereas my friend is always talking about the latest songs on the radio. My friend needs to have her marriage arranged by her parents with someone they feel is appropriate and then meet him after he is chosen, while the other guy can propose to any Muslim woman he pleases at any point. I asked if it was a cultural thing, and my both said that it was in their religious teachings. I don't know if it's a man/woman thing, but if it was, then wouldn't the girl to whom this guy proposes be breaking some rule by not having her parents arrange it for her? Or do they change? But then my friend said they can't have any romantic relationships until they get married, so how would this guy know who to propose to anyway? I'm just curious.

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    :hi: Welcome to Destee's Victoria87!

I don't have the answers you're seeking, but I'm sure some will come along and enlighten you.

Again, Welcome to Destee's!:heart:

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    These are issues of culture and religious extremism. Remember, there are over 72 divisions or sects of Islam, so anything is possible or may surface depending on what sect one practices.

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Victoria

Well first to answer you question..YES.

You must understand that Islam is a RELIGION that has been incorporated into many different CULTURES so how each group or nation practices their Islam varies widely.

The difference isn't just between Asia and Africa but WITHIN Asia and Africa as well.

The Muslims in Yemen practice thier Islam differently than the Muslims in Bangladesh.

The Muslims in Egypt practice thier Islam differently than the Muslims of Senegal.

Actually some Muslims believe the music played by intstruments is forbidden in the religion.
    Like the young man stated, they fear it will corrupt the mind and take the focus off of God.

I don't believe this however.
    This isn't part of the actual religion but is more like a tradition WITH IN the Muslim community.

No, this isn't part of Islam.

Both men and women Muslims can freely choose whom they want to marry.

But it's a STRONG cultural tradition among most cultures in both Africa and Asia to arrange the marriage of people.
    Before the organized religion of Islam, marriages were being arranged for children even before puberty.

Now sex between unmarried Muslims IS prohibitted.

It is zina or unlawful sexual contact.

You have to understand that many of the people from these cultures are illiterate and can't read for themselves what is right or wrong. They just accept what they were told by thier parents and pass it down generation after generation never questioning.

So many of them believe it's part of their RELIGION when actually it's just part of their culture.

Sort of like how most Christians assume the Christmas is a part of Christianity when it's more of a cultural practice not even found in the Bible.

5. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7
    Oh, I almost forgot to point out that Bangladesh is not in the Middle-East.

6. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486

welcome aboard the "Mother Ship" called Destee.com Victoria87,

please kick yo feet up and enjoy the peace, love and knowledge that is shared by all..................

:hearts1:

7. Victoria87

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I just meant that they're not allowed to like date or have boyfriends/girlfriends.

Thanks for that. Yeah, if there are over 72 divisions, then that explains it all.

You're lying! No way. It is a Christian, thing. They both have Christ is their names. . .

8. Dual Karnayn

Ratings:
    +7

Lol...let's see....

I AM A MUSLIM, and you accuse me of lying.

But as far as I know Keita IS NOT A MUSLIM, and you thank him for giving you inaccurate information.

OK.....lol

((shuggs shoulders))

Since I'm a "liar and don't know", go ahead and listen to whomever you want.

9. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Victoria87: "You're lying! No way. It is a Christian, thing. They both have Christ is their names. . ."

Unfortunately, you are incorrect in your rebuttal. Christmas, as we know it, was a TRADITION started with the Germans. They believed in a mythical figure named Sinter Klausse who would come down peoples' chimneys, blah, blah. Since this society is so Anglo based. the real Christmas has been endrenched with Western ideals. This is one MAJOR reason why White Supremacy remains intact. The holidays are just a final celebration of this. Also pagans used to worship trees, lights, etc. This is why they hang balls on trees, holly berries, and so forth. This is also symbolic. There was also a mythological character named Christ in their ancient traditional celebration of their deities. Not to look down on their lifestyle, but it sure ain't sittin well with MOST AA's. If you want to look at it from a different perspective, I suggest you visit an afrocentric bookstore, and see the 'light'. Happy Holidays anyway.

10. Victoria87

Ratings:
    +0

Huh??

I've always been told that Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Christ, though. . . That's what they tell me at church during the holiday, anyway. I always have to participate in the stupid "Birth of Christ" play too.