Black People : Do interacial (blk & white) people count as being black?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by MsInterpret, Nov 10, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    I was reading this report where Jesse Jackson told CNN reporter Soledad O'Brien that she is not black...

Soledad O'Brien: Jesse Jackson Told Me I 'Didn't Count' As Black

In her new book, "The Next Big Story," CNN anchor Soledad O'Brien recounts an exchange she had with Jesse Jackson, where the civil rights leader told her she "didn't count" as a black anchor on the network.

In an excerpt of the book posted on CNN, O'Brien writes that, in 2007, she met privately with Jackson, who complained about the relative lack of publicity that CNN was giving to its black personalities. O'Brien, who has a black mother and a white father, agreed with him. But then, she writes, Jackson complained that there were no black anchors on CNN at all:

Does he mean covering the campaign, I wonder to myself? The man has been a guest on my show... I interrupt to remind him I'm the anchor of American Morning. He knows that. He looks me in the eye and reaches his fingers over to tap a spot of skin on my right had. He shakes his head. "You don't count," he says.

It wasn't until recently that I called him and reminded him of what he'd said to me that day. I had done 4 documentaries on race in between the two conversations. He was totally surprised and barely remembered the details. He had not known I was black! He said he honestly did not know, that when he said I didn't count he was alluding to the fact that he thought I was a dark-skinned someone else. That is how precise the game of race is played in our country, that we are so easily reduced to our skin tone. That even someone as prominent in African American society as Rev. Jackson has a box to check for black and one for white. No one gets to be in between. I thanked him for his candor.

FULL STORY: http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-03/living/inam.soledad.book.excerpt_1_reverend-jesse-jackson-black-youth-american-morning?_s=PM:LIVING

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    soledad is black? who knew!

yes and no

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Frederick Douglas
    Malcolm"s moms
    Smokey Robinson
    Jimi Hendrix
    Bob Marley
    Halle Berrie
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Mario van Peebles
    and Hugo Chavez
    made sure, and make sure folks know they identify as Black

4. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    So I guess Jesse Jackson is the authority now on who's black and who isn't, lol? :10500:

5. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Michael Manly always said he was Black and identified as such.

Sometimes those of us who look white take offense at being called white like the brother in the novel,

"The Spook who sat by the Door"

And at times in fact, many times Black folks have used their white appearance to get into the "smoking rooms" and make deals for the benefit of the Black community the way Adam Clayton Powel did.

I guess the name Soledad came from one of her parents naming her after the Soledad brothers.

6. blackeyes

blackeyes Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +449
    Jesse is about right, where are the black female anchors at cnn? Is stephanie elam(sp?) the only one? There wan an African lady but she vanished.
    The black male actors are undeniably black but the non-white female anchors are mixed race, multiracial or racially ambiguous. Why is that?

black + white does not equal black.
    I don't even think she's black culturally; the only reason she said it then was to justify why she keep making those stupid "black in america" shows.

7. CreativeGrl

CreativeGrl Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +339
    Lol, did you mean to call the black men on CNN "actors", or was that a typo?

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,730
    home gurl?

[​IMG]

"Her father Edward, an Australian of Irish descent, was a mechanical engineering professor. Her mother, Estella, who is Afro-Cuban, was a French and English teacher"

9. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    one cant deny her african heritage....if she is equal parts of each she can choose to identify with either or or both

as for the thread its an insult...im mixed tho my heritage is mostly african american...for someone to say im not on the sole basis theres a hint of white in my bloodline is an insult the hell he think he is

10. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    If a person is 50/50 Black/White we are asking if the "count" as Black? Well, what about their offspring, if that 50/50 person produces offspring with a "Black" person, does that 75/25 person "count" as Black? If that 75/25 person produces offspring with a "Black" person, does that 87.5/12.5 person "count" as Black?? Can the line be drawn based upon percentages? Do we act like white people and embrace a 1 drop rule to exclude people from our race that have 1 drop of "non-black" blood from our race? If so, I think that would exclude most of us.

I was watching a show recently (I don't remember what it was) that a lady was discussing her life on a panel with other women. She was obviously "Black" but fairly light skinned. She was discussing the fact that she had been given up for adoption by her mother at birth. She later found her mother and to her surprise, her mother was White. Before she mentioned that fact I would have never guessed it, but I found it interesting that even she had no idea that she was the direct offspring of a White woman.