Do Intelligent Brothas Feel Alone?

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by Sodwn2earth, May 21, 2005.

1. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do intelligent black men often feel alone? As if they can't seem to fit in with mainstream society? Even with those of your own kind? If you think this is true, where do you think these feelings stem from?

2. Froggy1

Froggy1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Soome do cause they don't fit in with the media today got brothers selling out just to get paid and they smell it but everyone doesn't care and labels the smart brotha as a hata man

3. FromTheHip

FromTheHip Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Intelligence is more than a state of mind. It's both a medium and byproduct of understanding, rationalization and application. You do fit, and you're not alone. Just remember, leave all of those irritating mental midgets in your wake. You know, the ones who can't even spell "intelligent".

4. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I only feel that way, living here in the South.

Once I go back to the North, I don't feel that way anymore. It also helps having an on-line community to commune with.

PEACE

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    they stem from reality........

the thing is to learn to accept your situation and manage it.
    once i decided i was not meant to fit in, i set about building my own support system.
    you have to feel comfortable in your own skin.

6. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Interesting topic…I should say, unless you’re prepared to “dumb down” a notch, you better get use to it…:lol: In a world that is being more distracted and geared toward quick mental fixes and so forth…If your head is more than just a hat rack, then you might be in for trouble or at least a long ride… :horse:

But seriously, if you’re talking about intelligence such as, being well read, progressive, culturally astute and politically and socially aware…there are probably others like you, but those who pursue higher knowledge are never in the majority and can be easily isolated based on just logistics or demographics alone.

Depending on how in-depth and serious you are in your studies and concerns, you may even get around the so-called intellectually and cultural hip, and find yourself somewhat out-of-step with the “popular thinking of the day” or the “hip du jour”.

Black folks with that little-extra-something to give, have to be more proactive in socializing and organizing around their ideas and thoughts. When you are around folks who think like you, it energizes you! “…for no man or woman is an island…” The media has helped to popularize an onslaught of images that has induced an acculturation of ignorant behavior and thinking in our community like never before… so you might feel this sort of mental isolation even more, if the wheel doesn’t start to turn back towards the popularizing of “the seeking of knowledge” (it did somewhat exist at onetime).

Sometimes, your feelings of being out of step or “so-called loneliness” is just a sign of leadership. It may be a signal that is telling you not to follow the crowd and to be your own drum major… Most innovators and very creative people go through this struggle somewhere in their life…but that doesn’t mean you need to be alone.

Maybe if you use the same brilliance and thirst for knowledge that you use to heighten your awareness and intellect, to work some type of science of social and intellectual collectivism, maybe you, along with others, can think your way into a more interesting set of circumstances. For all knowledge should be applicable to all areas of life and living and vice versa.

Peace,

Brother Sun Ship :cool:

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,688
    Hello Sister So Down 2 Earth ... :wave:

So good to be reading you again! I too enjoyed your company in our new chat room recently, and look forward to that pleasure again soon. It's good to see you posting ... great question(s)!

Sister ... not only do intelligent Black men often feel alone, experiencing the things you've mentioned ... but so do intelligent Black women and intelligent Black children ... as well as the "not so intelligent" of us.

This is not by accident, but by design.

It is someone's intent, that we feel alone in whatever we are going through. When the truth of the matter is, we are not alone. None of us are going through anything, that one of us has never gone through before.

We have always been discouraged from getting together, congregating, talking, discussing, sharing ... some would say even plotting :wink: ... from what i understand, it used to be against the law for such things to happen out in public.

Mainstream society??!!! What and where exactly is that place?!!! Is that where you can walk into a bank and easily get a loan? Is that the place where you are promoted on your job properly, given full credit for your effort? Is that the place where the majority of your relatives have medical insurance? Is that the place where prisons are filled proportionately with every race? Is that the place where racial profiling does not exist? Is that the place where more than blonde and blue eyes is promoted as beautiful? Where exactly is this mainstream society place ... and is that the place we should be trying to fit into ... i mean, once we figure out how ... :)

No matter all of that ... God is Good ... and our Ancestors are Pleased!

For we are living in a new day, where we can come together and realize that we are not alone. Where we can take full advantage of the blessings that have been denied us. As Brother Sun Ship said above, being around those who think like you, who are like you, who experience the same things you've experienced, who you can relate to on a level that almost makes words not necessary ... that is a great and awesome energy ... strength ... healing ... power and sustenance ... that we have been denied ... but is ours once again.

As evidenced by this community ... and i thank each and every one of you for lending yourselves to this effort.

There are many like us, intelligent, not so intelligent, male, female, single, married, divorced, employed, unemployed, rich, poor, light, dark, conscious, unconscious, short, tall ... i think you get the picture! :)

We are not alone ... for we have each other!

Again ... great question(s) Sister!

:heart:

Destee

8. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    One of the other reasons why intelligent brothers feel alone (I know the feeling) is because this society is intimidated by a Black Man that is intelligent. They view you as a threat, and they subtley alienate you in a attempt to make you falter.

9. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39

Brother MANASIAC
    on that note, even many Black women who say they prefer intelligent Black men are cool, until you kick the conversation and ideas up a notch and your intelligence threatens the totality of their European culturalization and their academic or intellectual complacency.

10. Sodwn2earth

Sodwn2earth Well-Known Member MEMBER

Student
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you everybody for all of your replies. It's just so saddening and frustrating to see brothas gettin shot down for trying to reach their potential. Achieving what they know is so firmly in their grasp, especially when there are so few who believe they have that power. I hate the fact we have to steel ourselves against this society. Against the medias portrayal of us. The struggle of the black man has lasted so long. Of the black people really. And when we gain some kind of footing, there's always some invisible wall. When can we be free to be the beings God intnded us to be without a constant backlash from society? I want so badly for our potential to be broadcast. We are so much more then music, t.v, clothes, etc. Just thinking about this topics makes me upset....... when will it end?