Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : Do I Have to Cut My Hair to Loc It?

Discussion in 'Beauty - Black Hair Care - Fashion' started by river, Oct 9, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    When I stretch my hair to its full length it is about four inches although my afro is only half that long because it curls so tight.

I don't see why I should have to cut my hair to loc it. I can twist it and it will stay twisted. I can braid it and the ends will curl up. In other words the curl pattern is very strong.

My hair is also very soft. A white girl touched my hair and asked me how I got it so soft. I said "I use Downy."

So my question is will the strong curl in my hair allow me to loc it without cutting it or using beeswax andd what not?

Also, I like variety. Is it possible to get temporary locs that I can take out when I want to wear an afro? By temporary I don't mean extentions but locs that can be loosened so I can wear my fro from time to time.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Sister River ... i don't know anything about locs ... surely not enough to advise anyone on them.

One thing that kinda steers me clear of them, is the fact that i've heard they are forever ... i don't want a forever hair style ... i just left forever (known as permanent)! It would be nice to know if there were some temporary locs available! :)

:heart:

Destee

3. sweettee29

sweettee29 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    SISTER RIVER, I HAVE A VERY CLOSE GIRLFRIEND WHO HAS LONG BEAUTIFUL LOCS AND I RECALL HER TELLING ME THAT WHEN SHE DECIDED SHE WANTED TO GO NATURAL SHE DID HAVE TO START SHORT AND CUT HER HAIR AND SHE DID ADMIT SHE HATED THIS STAGE OF THE PROCESS. BUT I WILL TELL YOU THIS TODAY WOW! HER HAIR IS LONG, LONG, LONG NATURALLY AND IT IS GEORGEOUS I GUESS IT JUST DEPENDS ON HOW BADLY YOU WANT THEM THOUGH.

SWEETTEE,LOVE

4. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    No.. River youd do NOT have to cut your hair before you lock it.. you already have natural hair as i recall...
    so all youd have to do is lock it..
    I had the very same question when i kept reading of "the big chop" on different sites... referencing a point where the women cut thier permed hair off.. to grow natural.. but no you do not have to do this..

5. Skybeauty

Skybeauty Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey River,
    I'm a HairStylist and yeah if you call twist temp locs you can get them...you would have to use product on your hair such as some kinda gel and oil so it would be too hard....and you have to comb those out within 2 wks. cus they will loc on you.....thats the secret behind locs twisting once they start locing you just continue to twist the new growth and you will have locs ....so I hope I helped you out.....Much Luv "Sky"

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey Poetic and sky,

That sounds good. I'm like Destee. I hesitated to lock my hair thinking I had to throw away the key. But if I don't have to chop I will tast it first on a little piece to see how long I can go before it locks.

Thanks

7. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    How long should you wait if your hair was once relaxed?

8. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    My friend has them also and she hates it!
    It's very short and she complaines about them sticking up.
    I think they look nice on her.
    The only thing is why do people color their dreads or dread tips blonde?
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

9. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    lol.. some dont some do.. to most its a natural reaction to the sun having dead hair...
    i do plan to color my locks red with blonde tips... just because i think thats that fire! And it will look HOTT! lol..
    if you have relaxed hair you have to wait at least 6 months of deep conditioning.. and so on.. keeping your ends trimmed.. and such... id tell you to braid it for six months.. cause thats the only way i could take it... intitially...

10. Divine

Divine Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    As long as the hair is natural, you do not need to cut it. I locked my hair with approx. 10 inches of natural hair.

The hair is healthy and grows quickly, especially after 2 years. Long locks allow you to make lots of different styles. Its truly a blessing. :hearts4: