Black People : Do Black people care about Black people?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Sep 15, 2005.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    This was posted to a private site and sent to me by the author, who's allowing it's posting here.
    I believe it has potent food for thought.​

The larger question is not does George Bush 'care' about Black people, but do Black people care about Black people?
    You asked me to explain my question. The space does not permit me to explore it fully. But in asking "do Black people care about Black people..." I was referring in this instance to the obvious class divide among our people in the United States; as well as the ongoing commodification of our people to the benefit of everyone but Black people. We (as a group) are either going to participate in this economy or be exploited by it. Unfortunately, due to ineffective leadership, a lack of 'community' and 'group cohesion' and because of the very real influences of the entertainment/media and religious culture on the very psyche of Black people--we are and will continue to be exploited.
    The conditions of poverty, illiteracy, unemployment, underemployment, etc., existed in New Orleans before the so-called hurricane hit two weeks ago. The 66.6 percent African American populace is represented by African American elected officials at the state, local and federal levels. [In fact, it is known that wherever there are large concentrations of Blacks in the United States --particularly in urban communitites-- that racial and economic inequality is common place.
    Black leaders (and I do not limit this to civil rights persons, but those with positions designed to assist, offer resources, direction, etc.) in this year and in this era of our historical struggle against white supremacy are impotent--and unwilling to relinguish their social positions AS LEADERS so that dedicated, grassroots and creative leadership can emerge. We are stuck in a bottleneck of progress..with the masses trapped in the huge bowel below, and the middle class hogging up the middle...
    I wish I had one buck for everytime I hear that 'we are not a monolith.' Educated Blacks (Some of which come from so-called Black universities and colleges) echo this nonsense like the white man's parrot. This 'not a monolith' ******** has been driven into their minds so that they immediately disconnect themselves from the masses of their people--most of whom are not in the same economic realm that they possess. So as the 'elite' and 'wannabe elites' detach themselves from ALL black people, they thereby render themselves as impotent. America operates off GROUP politics and always will.
    When we begin to assert this 'individualism' that is mostly pushed by churches and through the entertainment culture, we not only lose who we are, but what we have--and we dilute our own ability to act in a unified effort to aleviate the problem.
    You follow?
    The S/O/S that Mr. Nagin issued during the flooding should perhaps have been called the moment he stepped into public office. There is not one single black elected official, given a change of venue, who would not have been in the same position. Let a earthquake hit Compton. Let a tornado speed through the Chicago's South Side. Let a raging fire ravish Cleveland. You will see the same sick scenarios played out on your local TV.
    What we don't realize, while we're are "loving each other" is that these earthquakes, tornados and fires have been destroying our people for the last 30 to 40 years. White supremacy is the root. Greed is the icing on the cake. Because of residential segregation--inequalities occur in pockets where we live, work, worship and play.
    Do not get me wrong--I understand that these mayors and Black political leaders 'inherit' these dire socio-economic conditions and often have considerable difficulty in obtaining corrective measures. However, because most of our political leaders and others are not directly 'affected' by the concentrated poverty, crime, drug addiction, etc.,etc., many take positions that only further spread the problem.
    In the meantime, Madison Avenue has created a marketable 'ghetto' that is garnering billions in revenues world wide. The brothers and sisters trapped in the Astrodome were the commodity--much like their ancestors 200 years ago--and they reap not even the benefits of the product (ghettoism) that they produce. The "cool" that we produce is worth untold billions and we have no means of collecting it and distributing it and controlling its use. Instead it is poured into film and music and fashion...and packaged as 'urban chic.' What they really mean is Blackness. Even the discussion of New Orleans 'culture' is a discussion about the loss of its 'blackness' which gave birth to jazz, the blues, gospel and rock and roll.
    We are doing what is natural (in this particular incident) to something that is unnatural. That it takes a flood to encourage Black people (not counting whites and other well-meaning humans)...but Black folk to buy water, food, supplies. To rally, to work TOGETHER to come to the BENEFIT of the suffering..is...well..amazing. That it has never occured to Black people to do this BEFORE...is also amazing.
    I ask do we love each other. I do not mean in an erotic or brotherly fashion. I mean in the way the mother loves the child she births--uncondtionally, unapologetically, passionately and with fire shut in her bones. Do we have that kind of love--for our people---no matter how they live, where they live... I ask this of me. I ask this of anyone.
    What side of the 'Cosby Debate' did you come down on before 'Katrina' and the US Govt. ravished New Orleans? Were you nodding your head and saying 'dem ni**ers jus lazy?"
    Where is the love so deep so astounding so prolific that we run up in TV stations and radio stations and snatch ignorant DJs off the air who spout foolishness, misinformation and perpetuate stereotypes ---similar to the ones that Bobby and Whitney are reinforcing with their 'reality' television show. "All ni**ers wanna do is eat, sleep, **** and screw...!" Where are the concerned artists and the creative thinkers who are not trying to get on Nightline to hawk jacked up spoken word tapes. Who is thinking outside the box and inside the pyramid?
    We suffer from mentacide. We are the abused wife and America (our land of birth) is our abusive spouse. No matter how hard it punches us in the gutz and kicks us when we are down--we can't let go! We try to justify it. We look at ourselves and say...if only "WE" change. We don't press charges. We don't want America, that abusive spouse to get locked up. We want to love America, because we really wanna believe that America loves us--after all it tells us this every Monday night on UPN. We got basketball players and rappers and mega churches and Oprah? Right? America loves us----and the reason we're abused is because we make America abuse us....? Right?
    Kanye was right in his moment of self _expression. That we would even debate his feelings, is ...well, silly. That America has brought Negro character witnesses forward to denounce him is ...well, predictable.
    Again, its not whether a bush or a shrub loves our people. Do we love our people?

By stephanie mwandishi gadlin

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Very profound question.

We (as a group) are either going to participate in this economy or be exploited by it. Unfortunately, due to ineffective leadership, a lack of 'community' and 'group cohesion' and because of the very real influences of the entertainment/media and religious culture on the very psyche of Black people--we are and will continue to be exploited.

True in the sense that we don't participate, only react. Reactionary responses have their place. Change and action is long over due.

I think this situation created a new migration. An opening of thinking that will take place after. We will no longer be limited to the southern roots of our ancestor's dwelling place. Many are enjoying and have never been out side of New Orleans and plan on living else where in the future. We do love ourselves, ( and other blacks in a unsaid often not seen or shown fashion ) as a collective but not enough.

The untold billions spent by us has to become a collective in black own banks like the one's in Atlanta.

( PANAFRICA shared this and should be used because I think it has great merit for change. http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36474 )

So they can grow all over the country and service us. Chinese banks and citizens do this. Their people prosper by loans and higher interest rates. Like a co-op sharing all resources from that base they grow.

Our money spread out in savings and loans that do not cater to us has run it's course. I see a collapes of world funds ( those sent to Mexico, Britain, Isreal, and used to finance wars and other countries ) happening in the future. We will do this ( and I will advocate it on a grand level personally ) and crash the system of not be included in finance growth.

I will be doing some research on the interest rate and finding out is the low interest rate given locked or just all banks following each other.

3. Deepvoice

Deepvoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    I think we all know the answer to this question.

4. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    We really don't Deepvoice, until we knock this around and get a better understanding of the situation. I care about others. I help children and adults I didn't know and will never see again. I can only speak for myself. I do care.

Not always in money, but advice, sources of support different from the norm I don't tell them to go get public assistance. I help by showing them some new ideas and clue them on things I know about. That are available. I also ask them a few questions then I reveal what they already have at their disposal. Sometimes when you are in a situation you can't see ( clearly the situation )the forest for the trees.

Share with us what you mean.

5. deepy

deepy going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    thanks old soul for sharing this with us....the profound question...cutting away all the weeds and getting right to the core...
    she stated it well....within the read my heart pumped rapidly...
    it touched my head and my soul.....the real question...
    may I share it with others?

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62

Brother OldSoul, nice post, man! This is what we need to address, right here, and with just as much honesty, clarity, and lucidity of perception as sister Stephanie has done...

I said it down in the Black Fear thread, that "our leadership", including some people I once had a great deal of respect for, is itself, lost, directionless, and very self-interested... They don't give no more a **** about Africans than Bush, and yet I've heard nary a word of criticism of them(Mayor Ray Nagin)...

I mean Bush reularly fried Africans in those Texas electric chairs, and as president he has sent thousands of us off to die in Iraq... It's clear as a brand new plexiglass window how that guy feels about Africans, and poor folks, generally...Additionally, he's a lame duck president, who was only in the White House to enrich himself, and his business associates in the first place...

It was, and should now be clear, that our responsibility as Africans IN America is to BUILD independent AFRICAN instituions brick-by-brick... Problem with this generation of AFRICAN PEOPLE is...many of us don't really wanna work hard for nothing... WE want, VOILA! Prestidigitation INSTANT GRATIFICATION YESTIDDY!

We feel we are more PRIVILEGED than previous generations of AFRICANS who had to work long and hard to get the most meager returns... Stuff has to magically happen for us, and if it don't, we hang our heads, and start talking 'bout we need a psychiatrist to clean up the mess... Despite all of our talk about the ancestors, we SHOW in our actions, very little respect for what they did in our behalf... and our leadership, and our middle-class, the beneficiaries of so many sacrifices made by those ancestors, are among the most guilty of blatant disrespect of the ancestors... They've got theirs, and the rest of us should just go get ours... I am hearing word now that Ray Nagin joked about getting all those Bad N's outta town... No wonder he's already talking about opening up those hotels for business this weekend... WTF!

Again, sister is on point... She's calling us to task, to build our own infrastructure... She is confident(as I am)that we can build it ourselves if we will only be committed to the long haul, brick-by-brick nation-building... No more days having to depend on this White Man for anything...

Peace!
    Isaiah