Black Atheists : Do Atheists Meet - Come Together for Study / Growth?

Peace and Blessings Family,

Do Atheists meet like other paths meet together, for study, growth, etc.?

If so, how often? Is it a study type environment or more socializing? Or Both?

Do you meet with other Atheists in your area, or are other Black Atheists difficult to find?

I am thinking of how other paths meet, they have a church, mosque, synagogue, etc.

Do Atheists have a name for their meeting building, or do you meet anywhere, no name designation?

Thanks in advance.

:heart:

Destee

My answer to your first question is yes.

I meet with a group of Brothers every second Sunday in a small group setting, and this includes Atheists, Freethinkers, Skeptics and African/Kemetic spiritualists. In fact, one of the brothers is an AAS initiate.

In all respect, I think you need to expand your reference to include all the above, who may not identify simply as 'Atheists' because those who identify as such have embraced philosophical perspectives that are not limited to a 'non belief' in the God of the Abrahamic faiths. In fact, a increasing number of 'Atheists' are identifying as 'Humanist'.

The Brothers I fellowship with are old friends and associates from college, and we serve as a suport group for each other, and the setting is informal, but we do meet to discuss and plan life goals and objectives as well as assessing our progress in meeting and establising our goals. We share information with each other such as spiritual reading for self improvement, health and wellness information as well as financial service information. We are all active in our community as professionals, so this also is a select professional network.

We meet in south Los Angeles, at a Starbucks on Crenshaw Blvd.

One thing we discussed today is trying to establish balance between our spiritual, social, economic, political, creative, etc activities. Therefore, we try to avoid extremes.

The following link is to a local group which I have not yet connected with outside of facebook, but there are a number of black atheist groups active in our communities.

http://peoplesworld.org/black-atheists-plan-billboard-campaign-for-african-american-history-month/

Yep. It's not as common as religious gatherings but it does happen. A really big one happens every year, with numerous smaller ones, with an organization called "African Americans for Humanism". About a year back, I skipped out on one but a few people I know told me it was pretty huge. I'll be trying to make it this year and to the Black History Month event that should be coming up towards the end of the month.

Edited Addition:

I should also add that there are groups available on meetup.com. And for anyone interested, quite a number of non-believers advocate social structures for nontheists: http://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_botton_atheism_2_0.html

Alain de Botton is one who makes this point during a TED talk, even though some of the people he criticizes actually have advocated the same thing and some of them run their own organizations (e.g Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins).

peace

I wonder now what would happen to the 'atheist' poster who entered any of the religious sub-forums and asked this same question of them..!

an 'athiest' could take it as very disrespectful.......for all people 'meet' in some way shape or form and fashion. Therefore, the question could be viewed as a set up, or a challenge in which such post's belong in the spiritual/religious forum and not in the sub-forums where followers of different paths are supposed to be left alone.......

The funny thing is that the question was answered in the utmost peace and respect even though some might have viewed the question as questionable.....

Hi! I'm a field organizer at the Center for Inquiry, so I can say: Atheists do meet in many different ways. Take a look at the calendar for our branch in Michigan, for example: cfimichigan dot org/events/calendar/

I'm also the director of African Americans for Humanism. We also have a growing network of groups that meet across the country, which you can see on the website (click "Local Groups").

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back