Black People : Do Africans fare better than African Americans in America?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Full Speed, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I was recently in a hospital in connection with my profession and while there, I met a sister who was a nurse there who had an accent that was obviously African. I asked her where she was from in Africa and she said that she was from Nigeria.

This meeting and subsequent converstion brought to mind the many native African that I have met in my travels across the United States at various hospitals who were nurses and in most cases, doctors. One doctor in particular was an ER doctor in a town very close to where I live who was from Kenya had a strong opinion that American Blacks did not take advantage of the opportunities available to us. He and I got to be fairly close associates as I would talk to him every two or three weeks outside our professional interactions.

My thought is that most all of the Africans that I know or have met are doing well, in responsible positions and seem to be productive people. I don't know a lot of native Africans so I am only speaking of a very limited number of people. Does anyone have any insight into this?

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    interesting points.

1 the African imigrant has the advantage, as do practicaly all imigrants, of an unbrocken and distinct culture;
    now the culture determines, and stabilizes concepts and values about,
    a. education
    b. economics
    c. family unit and extended family love and loyalty
    d. motivation
    e. self determination
    f. colective effort and reciprocity for mutual progress and prosperity

and that was the second thing castrated from us after our freedom.
    Now if you are aware of the Afrocentric movement of the 70s you will note that many where attaining that level and practically all of the children of families involved were intelectualy gifted and excelled in college and careers.
    the Afrocentric movement although non violent andpeacful was atacked by COINTELPRO more vehemently then
    movements that advocated armed rebellion and revolution, due to the simple fact of economics, you see unlike the African immigrants you see who seek to assimilate with whites,
    the Afrocentrics desired to bhuild and uplift the Black community.
    kep their skils and services there, and make the dolars do a 360 in the community,
    which if such a value and cultural system were to catch on,
    it would deprive white corporate America of bilions.

Here in NYC, in Brooklyn, there may be aproximatly 400,000 African imigrants from Senegal mostly, Guinea, Nigeria, Sudan and Nigeria.
    Most are shop keepers, openiing businesses withfunds, not from banks,
    but from traditional internal networks.

Now as far as African doctors lawyers, college profesors, actuaries, system analysts and clergy;
    like the Jewish communiy, they feel they are a chosen group,
    coming from certain very real castes within ther ethnic group, and then within that caste they are more then likely the wealthy to afford such an education based on African economic and living standards of the average citizen, also they more then likely have various political connections to escape the lack of human rights and freedoms in many nations there

Lets be clear, another question is, has any one asked the doctor, is there a lack of doctors in the area where he comes from and what are the condition and state of health services for the average citizen in their nation.

If one desires to know the condition of a people in general , what wisdom is there in enquiring to the elite?

That is kinda like asking a British imigrant of aristocratic pedigree and vested interests,
    what his opinion is of poor WASPS in Arkansas

one can asume what the answer would be based on human nature

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I know this may sound like a broken record,but the one's I know;had programs available to them due to being immigrants.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    if africans were really doing well they would not have had to leave their native countries.

the africans we see here are the ones with the where with all to make the move, the "cream".
    we never get to see the lower functioning africans.

5. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I agree,they are flooding a section of Seattle, and many of them drive cabs. So when the term "fare better" is used, in regard to what?

Peace!

6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    In general,

There are advantages/disadvantages for afrikans in america and afrikans on the continent.

For instance:

The diaspora have technological/industrial know-how while the continentals have land and
    resources. I too, have heard from some afrikan brothas/sistas whom have said things
    like how we aren't taking advantage of things we have, which there is truth in that. Yet,
    I've said the same thing to them (and those of the caribbean). I've responded to this affect:
    You have land. You are the majority in your land and you have resources under
    your feet and in your region, some not found anywhere else on earth,
    so what's your 'excuse'?

Usually, they give a response not too different from the reason/issues that hold us back be they self-imposed
    or otherwise. Some, after a moment of contemplation, are humbled and others who have answered my
    question have essentially answered their own question. Which reveals some of the many things we have
    in common.

Pan-afrikanism or perish....

7. King Tubbs

King Tubbs Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +272
    Good points, true in my opinion however the Full Speeds question was "Do Africans fare better than African Americans in America?" not their native countries. I think many do, but its unfair to compare immigrants to native borns, especially when the native borns are descended from slaves and were legally excluded and discriminated against until as recently as the 1960's. Immigrants in America have voted with their feet and chosen to leave behind friends family and make a new life so they (mostly) dont mess around once they reach America and naturally will have a higher work ethic than those born in America who in many cases take the standard of living for granted.

Dont forget there are many African Americans in African countries like Ghana and Tanzania. Do they fare better than the native borns in those countries? For the most part yes, because like African immigrants to the US, they have invested time and money into the move and are determined to work as hard as possible to make the most of their life and not waste time and fool around, also (in some cases) they have wealth brought from the US.

So to answer the question is yes, but not because thats becasue of anything special they have, simply because immigrants work ethic tends to be higher than native born folks.

8. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    Don't we have programs available to us due to us being citizens? I am referring to the various grants, set-asides, scholarships, etc.?

9. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    That don't mean we can get them. Case in point. I know several people that have worked all of their life, and lost their job. They went to the welfare office and was turned down. Also,the programs are structured differently. Many of these programs are designed to encourage people to come here. And besides, I know a few Africans. They've told me about some of their entitlements.

Peace!

10. Enki

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    That don't mean we can get them. Case in point. I know several people that have worked all of their life, and lost their job. They went to the welfare office and was turned down. Also,the programs are structured differently. Many of these programs are designed to encourage people to come here. And besides, I know a few Africans. They've told me about some of their entitlements.

Peace!

11. Full Speed

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I am not talking about welfare, I am talking about going to school, getting an education, and pursuing a productive, rewarding and lucrative career.

Specifically, whats so different about what resources are available to them as opposed to resources that are available to us? Are these resources so significant as to give them an advantage to reaching lucrative careers and productive lives.

When a young brother or sister grows up in America is there anything that would force them into being a drug dealer when they can be a pharmacist? Or a stick up kid when they can be a doctor? I think when we accept and allow weak excuses for failing to reach our potential as a people and as individuals when the resources are there and available to do so, we are shooting ourselves in the foot and therefore hindering our own progress and recovery.