Black People : DO AFRICAN AMERICANS HAVE CULTURE?

I puzzles me why the list of items i mentioned is being ignored. Everyone seem to give their take on it but the lsit of items i mentioned are just avoided. This to me is one of the main reason we jump to subject to subject with different opinions. Because our culture is not solidly dealt with. If we don't know, maybe we should find out instead of pointing out why we are in the situation we are in.
It was not my intention to 'ignore' the items you listed. This is why in my initial response i mentioned two words: syncretic and cross-culturalization.

I am taking into consideration what has been mentiond as cultural oppression. I view it more as cultural repression. What African survivalisms exist among Africans in America which we can say are completely and totally 'unique' to us specifically? I am stll trying to figure that out. And my family used to be in the business of selling African imports and African American art. One of my aunt's still has an art gallery in the heart of LA's "Little Africa", Leimert Park Village.

When I am in my 'Village" i see manifestations of 'Black culture" everywhere. But is what I see 'unique' to our experience?

Take foods for example. The ONLY local 'Black market' that i know of was burned down during the LA Riots in '92. But did it sell African American product unique to us? No. It sold the same foods one can find at Ralph's or even the local Walmart.

What about our 'religion'? Well...we typically even refer to these as 'Abrahamic faiths", for the most part. Except for if i go back to urban areas which practice 'Louisiana Hoodou' and even then there is the usage of Catolic saints.

Ideology? Hmm...Kwanzaa...Kawaida theory...Critical race theory....Black liberation theology....Black nationalism....ok

Rituals? (Notice I skipped those in-between becase they are mostly connected to Abrahamic faiths). Perhaps the 'Unity circle' if you belon to a nationalist group. Those associated with Ifa traditons, etc would count but on a small scale in relation to the larer community.

World views? Pan Africanism. Afrocentricity. (See we are big on ideology...but the praxis is lacking).

Sayings? I dont know. we tend to think in terms of common sense which typically sounds like the same nonsense that white people say, just with our own twist. For example, 'You never know". This think what that implies.

Dances...Music...? For the most part, due to media overexposure, this is where the white people have not only economically exploitied us, but they have effectively imitated, mimicked and mass marketed and distributed our cultural forms and sold it back to us. See 'blue eyed soul'. Justin Timberlake. Fergie. Robin Thicke. Jazz, blues, hip hop, etc.

We do have Black celebrations which may be considered unique. Juneteenth. African Liberation Day. Saviors Day. Marcus Garvey Day. Kingdom Day.

I'm African American myself btw. I don't like the name but for the sake of clarity i'll use it. What does the culture of African Americans consist of? Do we have one? Many groups say we don't. Is that true? Can we look at this issue objectively instead of digging up some feel good story? Or do we get our values, beliefs objectives and ways from TV? Let's talk about this. Sometimes the solution is in the questions asked. We should be able to answer the following with our own unique African American way. And copying Europeans don't count. So what are our ways concerning the words listed below:

Foods?
Religion?
Ideology?
Marriage?
Ethics?
Taboos
Rituals?
World views?
Sayings?
Dances?
Traditional music?
Traditional names?

Everybody has culture and all cultures change over time.

Everybody has culture and all cultures change over time.

Thank you Blackeyes but that's a statement that does not address the thread. So cultures change for the better? Is that the assumption. Or do we change into a non-working, degenerate culture. What i'm getting at is if it's not clearly defined it cannot be preserved or protected. The statement sounds passive and being passive in a world full of aggressive powerful, well defined, well organized other cultures is is not a good suggestion in my opinion.

I follow you.

It was not my intention to 'ignore' the items you listed. This is why in my initial response i mentioned two words: syncretic and cross-culturalization. Me: I follow you.

I am taking into consideration what has been mentiond as cultural oppression. I view it more as cultural repression. What African survivalisms exist among Africans in America which we can say are completely and totally 'unique' to us specifically? I am stll trying to figure that out. And my family used to be in the business of selling African imports and African American art. One of my aunt's still has an art gallery in the heart of LA's "Little Africa", Leimert Park Village. Me: I am too trying to gather that information. It's very difficult because we would need to be left the hell alone for awhile to really find those unique characteristics. We used to be physically separated but after integration and terrorized out of thriving independently our lap time in our own culture got dispersed.

When I am in my 'Village" i see manifestations of 'Black culture" everywhere. But is what I see 'unique' to our experience? Me: Yes, in the way we talk, walk, cook, etc. i see it.

Take foods for example. The ONLY local 'Black market' that i know of was burned down during the LA Riots in '92. But did it sell African American product unique to us? No. It sold the same foods one can find at Ralph's or even the local Walmart. Me: Well yeah, we used foods native to this land so we generally don't use imports from Africa but we can slowly incorporate that.

What about our 'religion'? Well...we typically even refer to these as 'Abrahamic faiths", for the most part. Except for if i go back to urban areas which practice 'Louisiana Hoodou' and even then there is the usage of Catolic saints. Me: All i know is Arabs and Europeans Pray but they have something in their religion or is it ingrained in their culture that tells them to go to war when it's time, run businesses, govern your own etc. Does the Black Church have that? I'm sure your answer is no but hmmmmmmmmmm we prey like they do but their religion seems to reward them better. Interesting. But Hoodou is a good start. Great info btw! Maybe even tapping into Yoruba. Just a thought.

Ideology? Hmm...Kwanzaa...Kawaida theory...Critical race theory....Black liberation theology....Black nationalism....ok Me: I think we need to combine and update the Black liberation theology and Blend it into African spirituality. Me: I likes that!!:toast:

Rituals? (Notice I skipped those in-between becase they are mostly connected to Abrahamic faiths). Perhaps the 'Unity circle' if you belon to a nationalist group. Those associated with Ifa traditons, etc would count but on a small scale in relation to the larer community. Me: Yeah rituals reinforce the culture, connects you and brings back the life energy of your ancestors. It serves many purposes. I was imagining the electric Slide?! lol!

World views? Pan Africanism. Afrocentricity. (See we are big on ideology...but the praxis is lacking). Me: I wonder why praxis is lacking?

Sayings? I dont know. we tend to think in terms of common sense which typically sounds like the same nonsense that white people say, just with our own twist. For example, 'You never know". This think what that implies. Me: Yeah, i personally don't wanna repeat White American sayings. I want my own. All we gotta do for that is dig up a handful of Quotes some of our ancestors used and use it. And claim it!!

Dances...Music...? For the most part, due to media overexposure, this is where the white people have not only economically exploitied us, but they have effectively imitated, mimicked and mass marketed and distributed our cultural forms and sold it back to us. See 'blue eyed soul'. Justin Timberlake. Fergie. Robin Thicke. Jazz, blues, hip hop, etc. Me: This makes my blood boil. I can't STAND fergie! She's got that self righteous white girl cleaned up 7/11 slurpie Jersey Trash look. And Timberlake? Any White boy with a street or as they say urban name get's me sick. Just be Brad the corn ball as he is naturally. I'm sorry i can't get used to those Whites who sing soul from the throat. But Gorge Micheal, Darrel Hall and John oats and many others get respect because they were not trying to be what they were not. Just White and passionate about music. But those that come up stating our Claims on hip hop, Blues will get a pit bull guard dog type negro to paly it down " Hip Hop, Blues is just a feeling. I agree with Gorge Carlin " stick to your corny A.. River dances and stop trying trying to dance and sing Black".

We do have Black celebrations which may be considered unique. Juneteenth. African Liberation Day. Saviors Day. Marcus Garvey Day. Kingdom Day. Me: I'm all for that. So we have many positive items here. But you did what most were not doing: Attempting to figure this out. Great thinkers are what fuels every culture to it's greatness.

I follow you.
"Sayings? I dont know. we tend to think in terms of common sense which typically sounds like the same nonsense that white people say, just with our own twist. For example, 'You never know". This think what that implies. Me: Yeah, i personally don't wanna repeat White American sayings. I want my own. All we gotta do for that is dig up a handful of Quotes some of our ancestors used and use it. And claim it!! "

That's nice but what if those particular "sayings" or anything else isn't uniquely Blk African? Non-Blk people have been Africa for a very long time. How do you separate the 'pure African culture' from tainted, for lack of a better word? People adopt traditions from others they come in contact with or live around. Wouldn't we need to first define what is the prototypic black african culture? Otherwise the african proverb or way to cook a particular dish could have originated w/ some non-blk nomads. I am just saying...

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back