Black People : DO AFRICAN AMERICANS HAVE CULTURE?

Of course African Americans have culture. If it weren't for African Americans, there'd be no stop lights, elevators, or air conditioning. What we call "American music" is actually Black music. White people love to hijack Black inventions and claim it as their own. For example, they put down other cultures and say, "We Americans invented Rock and Hip Hop and break dancing" etc... Then they accuse other cultures of copying THEIR music. Even saying that Africans are always copying American hip hop and R&B. HA!

Yes brotha this is true but before you confidently say that we have culture please refer to the list and try your best to elaborate on it. This is not a test where you mark off Yes! Yes! Yes! It's a question leading to Building. AND Elevators and air conditions are not culture. It's inventions. And our music is only part of culture but i agree with you about the music and the dance aspect. This is because we never label our music and dance with our ethnicity. It's generalized. Notice how The "Latin" community labels all of their dances and styles, or the Irish calling their dances "the irish river dance. But with us. It's just Hip Hop, Just Jazz, Just Blues. We need to CLAIM it with an African name so that some Japenese B-boy can't tell us he's a B-Boy just like you.

I don't know if its been stated, but culture is not static; it evolves, devolves, 'shape-shifts', take on concepts as well as rejects concepts. Afrikans in the amerikkka's had to adapt what they knew to the ecology arbitrarily different than what they were accustomed to.

The "afrikan" is "futuristic" in a sense. Before we were 'afrikan' we (those who are descendants of enslaved people from the motherland) were whatever village/society we came from on the motherland. Being brought to the western world, we weren't divided based on village/society. Through the centuries people of different societies cooped up in captivity co-mingled with people of other societies from the motherland and so forth. Those circumstances also played a roll in the 'shaping' of said culture.

I puzzles me why the list of items i mentioned is being ignored. Everyone seem to give their take on it but the lsit of items i mentioned are just avoided. This to me is one of the main reason we jump to subject to subject with different opinions. Because our culture is not solidly dealt with. If we don't know, maybe we should find out instead of pointing out why we are in the situation we are in.

I puzzles me why the list of items i mentioned is being ignored. Everyone seem to give their take on it but the lsit of items i mentioned are just avoided. This to me is one of the main reason we jump to subject to subject with different opinions. Because our culture is not solidly dealt with. If we don't know, maybe we should find out instead of pointing out why we are in the situation we are in.

Speaking for myself,

I ask that you set it off. Answer your questions and lets see where
it leads. At least folks may better gain some idea of the context in which
you are coming from.

P.S.

There is no such thing as 'value free' objectivity.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back