Black People : DO AFRICAN AMERICANS HAVE CULTURE?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nakeone, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Nakeone

Nakeone Well-Known Member MEMBER

Technician
    Ratings:
    +158
    I'm African American myself btw. I don't like the name but for the sake of clarity i'll use it. What does the culture of African Americans consist of? Do we have one? Many groups say we don't. Is that true? Can we look at this issue objectively instead of digging up some feel good story? Or do we get our values, beliefs objectives and ways from TV? Let's talk about this. Sometimes the solution is in the questions asked. We should be able to answer the following with our own unique African American way. And copying Europeans don't count. So what are our ways concerning the words listed below:

Foods?
    Religion?
    Ideology?
    Marriage?
    Ethics?
    Taboos
    Rituals?
    World views?
    Sayings?
    Dances?
    Traditional music?
    Traditional names?

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I'm not exactly sure what culture is ... what exactly it means.

It's broad, covering a multitude of life areas, and a shift one way or the other can quickly disqualify it for others.

We all have touched each other, for the most part, in one way or another.

It's like jumping into a pool of water, you come out wet, but it also keeps some of your skin cells.

Neither are left completely unaffected by the other.

That's kinda how I see it.

Yeah ... we have our own culture, but it has inevitably been influenced by others, and theirs by ours.

Great question ... i'm gonna move this thread to the open forum.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

The fact that you refer to this cultural group as African and American inherently implies cross culturalization. This is to say whatever traditions, values, mores,etc in which we do posess and manifest are syncretic and neither African or American but a combination of various traditions, including the Native which makes us whole while at the same time a divided and confused mass.

4. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    Yes they do, it's all in the Bible, the laws, the High Holy days, our customs, when you read the Bible carefully you will realize that all of the things in it really describe our people, but slavery took all that away from them. They have to get back to the laws, statutes and commandments of God again.

5. Nakeone

Technician
    Ratings:
    +158
    I hear you but if Culture our culture and the list is not fully decribed and discussed we will forever be exploited because culture gives you guidelines and sets boundaries. What you said is true in a sense but i'm still Sitting there with a Blank list.

6. Nakeone

Technician
    Ratings:
    +158
    O.k, it's been a long time since i've been to Church or even read the bible so can you, assuming you are familiar with the bible, at least answer the list and provide the appropriate answers please? Thanks

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    I agree ... it was all ours to begin with ... stolen, twisted, chewed, swallowed, and regurgitated back to us.

All we can do now is move forward knowing everything we see is skewed, and adjust accordingly, as each sees fit.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

8. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    First we need to define culture.

To quote myself:

Then we define a “non-corrupted culture,” or “pure culture” to be “those mannerisms that represent a continuity from ancestor to descendant.”​

In this, I say that we barely have a culture. We wear hats in Church and we dance in rhythm, like our ancestors did, but that's all. So far, we don't even have generational continuity for our adopted cultures!

African people need to reconnect with our selves. Or else we're just pawns.

Hotep!

9. Nakeone

Technician
    Ratings:
    +158
    Culture: This is something me and a friend wrote on culture. It’s the social mechanism that maintains the power and control of the group which leads to a smooth continuity of daily operations within that society. Culture is a form of socialized organized energy. One of the purposes of culture is to gain, maintain and protect the resources within an environment. People within society need culture to insure their physical/emotional/mental/ & spiritual health, as well as to instill social norms, values, principles, and moral codes. Culture establishes male and female social roles, allowing everyone to know their place and purpose in society. All these factors when combined, creates in the individuals a cultural perspective of themselves and of the world.

10. Nakeone

Technician
    Ratings:
    +158
    Appreciate that! I love your love.