African American History Culture : DNA testing is shedding light on centuries of African American historical trauma

Discussion in 'African American History Culture' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,571
    In the Spirit of Sankofa,

ROOTS

DNA testing is shedding light on centuries of African American historical trauma

For many African Americans, consumer genetic ancestry is much more than a gimmick that allows people to find out a little more about their heritage. It’s a way of reclaiming some of the family history that was taken from them during the slave trade.

Alondra Nelson, dean of social science at Columbia University, explored the cultural and political meaning of DNA testing in her latest book The Social Life of DNA: Race, Reparations, and Reconciliation after the Genome, published earlier this year ...

http://qz.com/648482/dna-testing-is...an-american-historical-trauma/?utm_source=YPL

DNA testing is shedding light on centuries of African American historical trauma

“It offers a living history at a time when we’re too inclined to historical amnesia.”
    qz.com

upload_2016-3-28_18-18-30.png

Nelson found she's related to the Bamileke people of Cameroon. (Creative Commons/ Christian Tido)

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,571
    Years after transatlantic slavery, DNA tests give clarity

ALISON STEWART, PBS NEWSHOUR WEEKEND ANCHOR: In the past decade, companies like 23andMe and ancestry.com, which offer DNA testing to help people learn more about their biological traits, have boomed. African-Americans are increasingly using these tests to explore their genealogy and answer questions about their family histories lost during the transatlantic slave trade ...

Video
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/years-transatlantic-slavery-dna-tests-give-clarity/

Years after transatlantic slavery, DNA tests give clarity

DNA ancestry tests in the last decade have helped some African-Americans reconcile with aspects of their identities that might have been obscured during the transatlantic slave trade. Alondra Nelson chronicles this journey in her book, "The...
    pbs.org

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,571
  4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,571
  5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,571
  6. 103 ao kiji

103 ao kiji Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +86
    Maybe this can explain some things that puzzled me about my people, 2017 a year I'll also be studying my brothers and sisters closely, to see if they're ready to awake from slumber

7. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,121
    I've seen a Black, self-proclaimed conscious person deny truth that dna tests can reveal a connection between Black Americans and African people, saying it's impossible to do. However, until it's explained to me in terms that I can understand it, I'm choosing to believe it can be done which is why I've been tested and results tell me I'm connected to people of Nigeria (primarily). Since then, I've been fascinated enough to study the people, their cultures and lifestyle. Interestingly, the environment looks very similar to where I grew up in south Florida...very tropical foliage and similar weather pattern. I've been curious about Lagos mostly and have been learning everything I can about it.

[​IMG]

8. 103 ao kiji

103 ao kiji Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +86
    Black people are matriarchal queen, it's good you know you are a queen by the way, alot of things need to be explained, I wonder myself where I come from, who are my ancestors among the myriads of black races, I ain't gone lie though, I'm a little skeptical about the methods they use to determine this