Black People : DNA by Ancestry admixture test

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by StefiA, Oct 9, 2010.

1. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    OK, this is a personal thread really, but if anyone has time to post a reply I'd be really greatful...
    I think I remember someone on Destee posting results they got off this test - not sure how many other people here might have had this done...
    Anyways I sent off for my results a couple of weeks ago and have another couple at least before I get any results...
    Now this is a question for those of you with some expertise in this genetics stuff - exactly what does the test result prove? I'd originally thought it would basically give me an idea of the proportions in my ethnic background as in how many % black, native American etc that I am. Now I've become a little confused by the fact that apparently siblings can end up with different results - does this mean the test is really determining your own individual mix - I've heard tell of white sperm and black sperm coming from a mixed father, but have no idea if that's scientifically possible. I've also heard about someone getting a test result back with a much higher % of black than they would have expected - this was another blonde, blue eyes quadroon like me who got back a result of 56% black - is that at all possible - am I being too simplistic in thinking that for a quadroon you'd expect 25% maximum? Obviously I'm hoping that if that's true my % would be up near that mark. I've also been told that I shouldn't assume my looks will mean a low % as the genes tested for aren't the same ones that determine your looks - again have no idea if that's true or not...
    I'd be quite keen to know exactly what the test results actually prove before I get to open my envelope.

2. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
  3. StefiA

StefiA Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +215
    Thanks for that reply cherryblossom....

Reading that article it seems like the test ought to be able to sort out my African DNA from my European easily enough - seems I'm after discovering something the test is best at....

"Admixture testing works best in groups like African-Americans, whose ancestors in Africa and Europe lived far from each other."

But it suggests I could get some weird figures for the Native American - in a way I thought that already as when I looked up the average results of the test for different nationalities I saw IA pecentages that were quite high in places...

Interestingly the average result for Italians as a whole is...
    86.8% EU / 2.3% SSA / 2.7% EA / and 7.3% IA...

So I think the article must be right in saying the IA genes were probably spread around before people crossed over to America, either that or somehow Italians all have 1/16th Native American in them, which does seem unlikely - strange though that the figure is so much higher for Italians than other Europeans (with the exception of the Spanish).