Destee's Thoughts Divided Poetry Categories?

Discussion in 'Destee's Thoughts' started by Destee, May 23, 2001.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Hello Everyone,

A request has been made to divide the poetry category into sub-categories. One being for the "steamier" peaces and one for all others.

Poetry is art, and as such, nudity is often used. I'm thinking I could have the "steamier" category accessible only to those that choose admission/participation in it.

I personally don't want what would be considered "adult content" on the site, but many peaces are already here that some would classify as such. Considering the fact that registration is open to all those 13 and over, children are in our midst and we must act accordingly.

Having said all of this, there is only one person in our community that has ever been warned regarding the explicit poetry they've put here, so please don't think I'm speaking to "you," because I'm not.

This is simply a request, seeking the input of those who make this community what it is. Please share your thoughts with me.

Thanks,

Destee

2. Legendof_1_Spirit

Legendof_1_Spirit Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Good idea

...>appears from nowhere>

I think it would be a great idea. Especially for those that like to indulge in poetry with an erotic flare and colorful language.

<fades out to somewhere<...

3. Afridancr

Afridancr Well-Known Member MEMBER

African Dance Instructor/Cultural Educator
    Ratings:
    +0
    Destee

I agree with Legend~~but also with you. With children in our midst it would be wise to have a sub catagory for the steamy peaces to be posted.

But I have a question: What would restrict the youth from reading in this sub-catagory???

4. GQ

GQ Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States Air Force
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mama D,

My opinion would be no more categories. As the curator of our house, you ultimately have the last say in how you want us to conduct ourselves. I don't think we should bog the house down with subcategory after subcategory...Perhaps the registration age for this existing forum should be raised to 21 vice 13. If you desire to cater to young adults, why not develop a forum just for them???

Poetry, as you so eloquently stated, is art...it can be displayed in vivid and often times graphic detail.

The majority of our family of poets are housed in this forum and shouldn't have to jump around across the forum to read certain pieces.

Bottomline - I would say revisit the registration age and leave the original forum alone - have poets warn of the adult content in their posts and those who don't want to read "steam" have the personal option not to.

How do you police honest registration anyway?

Not adamant about this position - just giving my two cents...

Whatever the concensus of the fam, I can conform!!!

GQ

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Thank you Legendof_1_Spirit and Afridancr.

Afridancr I'm thinking members wanting access to that category will have to email me requesting such, stating in the email that they are an adult. I will then give their username access to read/write to that category. Similiar to the way the Moderator category works now.

As I think on this, I'm wondering who/how will it be determined if a peace crosses the line and should not be in the "general" poetry area. Will we leave it up to the responsibility of each member to police themselves regarding this? I think we can as most here are responsible adults and know what would be appropriate for a child to read.

Food for Thought.

6. UbZoRbShUn

UbZoRbShUn Well-Known Member MEMBER

-----------
    Ratings:
    +1
    Destee

you have my full corporation. I know for fact that some of the pieces I post are borderline. I didn't know that there were younger people here. Point me in the right direction and I shall go.

I would hate to think that I was a part of corrupting the mind of a minor. I have children both under the age of 10 and would not want them to read some of the things I've posted/read. So to those of you I may have offended I am truly sorry. Little ones included.

Oh yeah I finally put ma glasses on and saw the short story board. Thanks again Destee. Let me know ifn' yeah I said ifn' I can do anythang else.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    GQ ... thanks for your input. Actually this has crossed my mind a few times since putting the forum up. I'm with you, I don't want to weigh the forum down with sub-categories, but this is a legitimate concern and am looking for suggestions/advice from all.

In regard to changing the registration from 13 to 21, I don't like that, as it would be in essence saying ... this is an adult site ... and it's not. I don't want it to be.

"Adult Content" is a relative term and one could crossover quite easily, as the line is thin.

Hmmmm ... not sure what I'm going to do about this but your input will certainly be considered in whatever steps I take.

Thanks again GQ :heart:

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,689
    Thanks 'Zorbsh'n, but no apology is necessary Sis. Not you or anyone has done anything they must apologize for. Again, I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this. It may be a *minute* before I do anything, waiting to hear what all have to say.

*Growing Pains* or *Labor Pains* ... hehehehe :)

9. UbZoRbShUn

UbZoRbShUn Well-Known Member MEMBER

-----------
    Ratings:
    +1
    Destee

don't forget to breathe through your nose or is it your mouth....ummmmm not sure anymore. Im here if ya needs me

10. Afridancr

Afridancr Well-Known Member MEMBER

African Dance Instructor/Cultural Educator
    Ratings:
    +0
    Destee

My question is this: How will you know or prove that the person emailing you is really of adult age?

just a thought...:confused: