Black People : Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by hartwell, Jun 7, 2010.

1. hartwell

hartwell Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +252
    Still waiting for a response to the 300 resumés you sent out last month? Bad news: Some companies are ignoring all unemployed applicants.

In a current job posting on The People Place, a job recruiting website for the telecommunications, aerospace/defense and engineering industries, an anonymous electronics company in Angleton, Texas, advertises for a "Quality Engineer." Qualifications for the job are the usual: computer skills, oral and written communication skills, light to moderate lifting. But red print at the bottom of the ad says, "Client will not consider/review anyone NOT currently employed regardless of the reason."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/04/disturbing-job-ads-the-un_n_600665.html

2. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Is this common practice across the board or just wit this company? It's an anonymous company. That sounds fishy.

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    who would want to work for delers of death even part time?

4. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    This is nothing new, it has been happening for years now. Companies and potential employers discriminate every way possible, from what race you are to what name you have. I personally do not trust the EEO survey (Equal Employment Opportunity) that is attached to applications. I believe employers use it to discover your race, I never fill out the EEO. The mainstream news is beginning to report more on discrimination as it is becoming more prevalent with the increase in unemployed. I seen a report not too long ago that said African Americans are falsifying their race on applications just to get an interview.

5. hartwell

hartwell Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +252
    well that just goes to show you whites are letting you know perhaps we need to start doing our on thang. And quit totally relying on these companies.

6. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    Exactly. Just imagine if all of our black athletes, entertainers, and black "bourgeoisie" were to pool just a percentage of their money together and start our own economic advancements. Blacks are the number one "consumers" in america. Unfortunately we have all been brainwashed, or mind controlled in one way or another to work for someone else and that someone else is 9 times out of ten the european. College education is a great example. You pay tens of thousands of dollars just to learn how to work for someone else instead of yourself. The shortage of jobs is not solely Goldman Sachs, the federal reserve or the ruthless banksters fault, but we as a society has to take some blame, by not creating our own opportunity's but instead relying on oligarchies. Detroit is a perfect example. Haki Madhubuti discussed this in his book Enemies:The Clash of Races.

7. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Take money to make money.
    Need a job to get a job.

Nothing new under the sun.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    lot of jobs have an red tape and hiring freeze and people out of work is not one of there choices

9. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Unemployed people look lazy to some employers. The longer you been unemployed, the worse it looks.

It's a another process of elimination. They also want to know how you will leave your present employer should you accept their position - anything less than giving your present employers two weeks notice is not gonna look good.

Can you imagine? You do well on the interview, they make an offer and you accept. They ask 'when can you start?' and you say 'immediately. how about Monday?'

And they know you have a job already. They say 'OK' and then you drop your old job the next day.

The same next day, they give you a call saying they recanted their offer and is considering someone else.

If you're willing to drop job your old job without proper notice and time for them to replace you and train a new person, then you might drop them just the same when something new comes along.

Just something to think about and maybe a reason they want you to have a job already.

ETA: ALWAYS GET JOB OFFERS IN WRITING!
    I don't know if they will do that on the spot, but it doesn't hurt to ask. They can write it on scratch paper if they have too.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is increasingly a common practice. Many employers will not even interview you if you have gaps in employment history. This is why after moving to Texas i had to move back to California. And even then i could not find work in Cali until i moved to my old neighborhood and worked my college network. (after 21 months i am now moving into management this week!).