Black Spirituality Religion : Difference between Religion & Spirituality

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by soulosophy, Aug 7, 2009.

1. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    Ha ha, first off, not knocking anyone, so don't take it personal for the sensitive souls out there, but I came across this lil saying which, for me, sums up this difference:

Religion is for those people who are afraid of going to hell.

Spirituality is for those people who have already been there.

:toast::bullseye:

2. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Goddess Soul- so true that is! Without the fear of damnation most religions have no power. At the same time most religious people believe their choice in religion is what guarantees them a peaceful eternity- but in most cases it guarantees stubborn indifferences that produce the hell-mind experience in the first place.

Spirituality, or Spirit Reality, is tailored as we see fit, it is a way of reminding ourselves constantly that we are spiritual and not physical beings. And those who have indeed experienced the hell-mind know how to overcome it. If we encounter Devils and Demons- we fan them off not with bibles but with laughter, because a spiritual person conscious of who they really are is fear-less.

In all fairness overtime most religious people realize their own spirit reality. For some it takes a few incarnations into the matrix, for others it might take a near death experience. Black people come from the spirit reality and not the religion. We know this from our culture. When certain forms of music, dance and fashion become redundant we changed it. We were constantly reinventing ourselves. But now the religious mindset is spilling over into our culture as well. The culture has become redundant, and everything we are making turns out to be a carbon copy of the original.

Religion is not about the soul of originality, you are not allowed to be your own self, you must perform just like everyone else- or pay the price of judgment. Yet most religious people hide their spiritual activities from those that share their religion. But they need those activities in order to feel sane and grounded.

Quoting the bible every change they get doesn't seem to fill the prescription for spiritual awareness. Something else is pulling at their soul, and thankfully it is not Satan, it's just the truth.

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    and the spirit beings say....weeeeeeeell...lol

thank you for bringing up this point today...
    i needed a quick reminder...

one love
    khasm

4. WARRIOR

WARRIOR BAMN - By Any Means Necessary PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +298
    RIGHT ON.....

WARRIOR

5. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123

Greeting the pure Light in you DG Meta, my thoughts exactly. We're taught to fear the Almighty. So with all this fear of the All-loving then where is the Love? How does one come to love oneslef if they are in fear of the All? As you say DG Meta, without instilling this fear they would have nothing to control their followers who are taught to love "God" but not taught that we ourselves are the Divine in potentiality, therefore, loving the Divine is in reality loving oneself. As I've always heard in Sufism, "to know yourself is to know your Lord". Same can be said 'to love yourself is to love your Lord'. Its just that we're given a misguided concept of who and what our Lord is which is why many followers of their chosen "faith" who love 'god' and do for 'god' yet seem to be in conflict and cannot truly find peace literally living in "hell". To even say that one is the Divine in potentiality would be seen as blaphemous in religious beleifs.

As you say some of us in the realm of spiritual-reality know how to overcome the hell mind - and trust me I have no intentions of going back there...lol. One of my fave sayings which you often find me quoting by Omar Khayyam goes: I sent my soul through the invisible a letter of that afterlife to spell, and by and by my soul returned and said 'I myself am Heaven and Hell'.

Bro So'ja made me aware of "The Metaphysical Bible". Perhaps it would save a whole heap of confusion if people purchased the book. I checked out the website and agree with the following statement: When one looks at the Bible from a metaphysical and symbolic standpoint, the contradictions and inaccuracies no longer matter. The meaning in the scriptures is found below the surface and is not always as obvious. It requires a different understanding. Not that the Bible doesn't have wonderful stories that provide powerful ethical teachings; but the stories become even richer when we interpret them metaphysically. We begin to see that these stories are really about us and our own evolution inspiritual consciousness.

The other day my children's grandmother who is a Jehovah's Witness asked me if I was still a Muslim. I told her I don't label myself a Muslim anymore but that I was studying more about Afrikan spirituality and cosmology. She herself is from Ghana but she blasted me and said I will be cursed if I follow the Afrikan ways. She says that Afrikan spirituality is evil and full of demons and that I must follow the right way of Jehovah. Hmmm... I kindly aksed her thatif she didn't mind that I did not wish to continue this conversation and she hung up the phone on me...oh well, what can ya do eh.

As you say, we each come into our own spirit realisation over time. It took me many years and I'm still allowing the universe to slowly unveil the mysteries within. I don't get into debates of trying to prove this scriptures or that scripture or trying to proove whether Jesus, Muhammad or any of the prophets existed or not. I was drawn more to ontological and theosophical studies and learnt to study from a metaphysical perspective. So I'm done with trying to argue and debate on religious issues per se. Takes too much energy which I can best put into working on building up my spiritual energies.

Much Love & Peace enlightened soul & may your light remain illumined to seekers upon the path of Truth & Love!

:heart:

6. Metaverse

Metaverse Well-Known Member MEMBER

Media Designer
    Ratings:
    +424
    Goddess Soul, the best we can do is sincerely wish each other well on our journey, even for religious people. One of my best friends in the world was a Hebrew Israelite, he'd be in the streets- pumped up- waiting for people to debate him about the bible.

I was never a very religious person, but he'd challenge me every now and then and I'd make a joke so funny that he couldn't help but to burst out in laughter. He'd tell me a story from the bible and I'd say something like- Delilah didn't have to cut Samson's hair off, all she had to do was wait until he was sleeping and spray some of that S-curl juice in there- that would've did the same thing.

I would do the same thing to Jehovah's Witnesses, just never take their so-called salvation as seriously as they do. But what I learned is that people use religion as a barrier to separate themselves from whatever that fear might be. It's never been my intent to convert anyone away from their religion, but it seemed to me like everyone I've sat down with and spoken with very seriously and candidly about religion- decides to give it up. I spoke with a Pastor once that closed down his church and left his family about a week after we had a conversation about God and the Bible. And I swear I can't remember what I told him.

I've always known on a personal level that it has never been about converting anyone away from this or that, it really about finding something that we've lost and are attempting to regain and that is our natural connection with God, Spirit, The Universe, the Higher Self- whatever we wish to call it- so that we can feel safe again, protected and justified.

Now if the Christian says Jesus is the way. Fine. If the Muslim says Allah is the way, that is fine too. If the Buddhist says it's Buddha- that's also fine. Because the avatar is born out of the hearts of spiritual and artistic people. Spiritual artistic people create religion, so spiritual artists should be very careful. Scientology- is a religion. Jedi is also a religion. And make no mistake about it, an I-phone religion is not beyond our reach.

But if the art of spirituality is never understood people will continue down the religious path. Now a good question to ask is, if religion comes from the spiritual- what is wrong with religion? Well, that would be like comparing James Brown, to a sample or a piece of James Brown's music. Sure you can use the sample to make a nice rap song, but that sample does not compare to the originator. Now if you play that same sample over and over and over, it becomes redundant and people go crazy- which is what we have going on right now. At that point it's mind control.

7. Reniassance Man

Reniassance Man Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for this. I learned alot.

8. 4EVERLUV

4EVERLUV Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +55
    soulosophy:

Your original post made me laugh and then I said to myself now aint that the Truth. Your above post was very enlighting to me as I can truly relate. I've been meditating about the spiritaul turmoil I have been in and I know now what is for me and I must keep my focus on my purpose. I was very concerned about how my mother would feel if she knew how I was feeling about religion and christianty. I remember the first time I questioned something I read in the bible and I thought to myself OMG....I'm going to hell. lol But when something eats at your soul then something must not be right. And I feel one must do what feels right to them and their heart. I felt kinda like Meta was saying lost. I have talked with my mother about it now and surprisingly she was very cool about it all and told me that it was my choice to follow what I felt was for me. I've been doing some studying and enlightening my spirit and I find that the meteaphysical perspective is what feeds my spiritual hungar. I am discovering my true essence., and I'm on a mental demolition, removing ,releasing and getting rid of all of the clutter and things that are no longer serving me so I can live in spiritual consciousness and delight and devine abundance . Thank you for sharing and for the giggle.

Much love and peace to you.

9. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123
    Bless U Queen and thank you for sharing. First off, do not deny who you are. I try to make it a habit to be true to where I am at every moment in terms of how I feel. I’ve learned that when we limit ourselves, we are in essence limiting the Divine Creative Principle.

I’ve been in that spiritual turmoil known as hell many times before, and I have no intentions of going back there. I remember that desperate emptiness which was perhaps my souls’ cry of wanting to find itself. A pain burned in my soul, and it was the pain of separation. I remember hearing something which reminds me of what you expressed in keeping your focus, it goes: Know your truth & follow it, for if u don't, you will slip & the slip will cause you to fall greatly almost back to the beginning again like climbing a mountain where u'll endure the trials & tribulations of ascending that mountain again.

I know in many of my post I kinda mention my muslim upbringing which helps illustrates certain points as well as share my experiences in a religion. I came across this on a website that says: Islamic teachings are characterized by a consuming fear of God’s wrath, while the Egyptian model of mysticism (Sufism) emphasizes love and not fear. I found that in many of the verses in Qur’an, it speaks on being in fear of Allah. I use to perform the 5 times a day prayers and wear the hijab mostly out of fear because I thought I would go to hell. But I wanted to know where was the love because fear surely wasn’t working for me. I wanted to know how was I to know myself and love myself through fear? But through dhikrs (sufi meditation and trance states) I was able to experience that All-encompassing love and unity but only in flashes and spurts and I would yearn for it. But now I don’t have to look for it as it is there accessible to me at any and all times. I’ve had to distant myself from my muslim peers who constantly questioned my actions if I didn’t perform the prayers etc they thought I was backsliding. But now instead of doing the islamic prayers, I now perform meditations, rituals and various energy work which are merely all ways of tuning into and connecting with the Divine Creative Principle. I perform these things NOT out of fear, but purely out of respect and love where heaven and hell is now just a state of mind. Religions try to force you to accept their beliefs under the threat of hellfire and eternal damnation if you don’t. To fear the Divine is to fear ourselves and I've learnt that true glory lies in our attention to the divine truth and knowledge within.

I'm learning that there is no such thing as doubt on the spiritual path. We have to master how to be extremely conscious of all the little choices we make at every single moment and also be aware of what we do in that moment. Its also important that we learn to tolerate and accept people for wherever they are on their journey as well. We each have our own journey and nobody has ownership over the Divine Creative Principle. We each manifest the perfection of the Divine Creative Principle through ourselves. We have to learn NOT to look for what is wrong in our lives because each time we do we will always be looking for ways to fix it. Everything is as it should be. If we look for what is wrong then we will always find it because that is where our focus lies. Where attention goes, that is where the energy flows (that rhymed...lol). What we give our attention to, we actually give energy to. So let us, instead, look for what is right then we can only expand and develop on that. Everything is already perfect and already there and we are where we need to be. I know what I just said may sounds a bit of a cliché but reminders are good and it’s mostly a reminder for me…ha ha, I can be selfish like that...

When I have an experience that fills me with pure love, inner peace and contentment, and whenever I feel I have lost that, then I try to remember that feeling and what it was that took me there and I begin nurturing the awareness of that place.

That is beautiful. It gladdens my heart that you are leaving behind all that no longer serve you. That is my thing also and I make sure I give the things that DO serve me more time and attention in my new space as I try to make every moment a new space. I’m not quite there yet but I’m working on it…lol.

Anytime Queen…

Bless U & yours!
    Love, Peace!

10. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    Of course, I disagree here.

I believe both, spirituality and religion, are for those who seek honest truth, and who fear the Father and His Name. :10300:

I don't believe that only one or the other is simply needed alone, but we need both, nor do I think another can speak to what kind of tribulations a person has gone through, based on their faith.

Hell isn't the most fearful thing, but He who has created all is Most Fearful. However, none should want to go to hell, and should have faith in the sacrifice of the Holy Son, and belief in His works, and resurrection, and teachings, so that they may escape hell fire by the mercy of His love and salvation. And we should work toward the redemption of all our brothers and sisters, everyone who lives in the faith, just as the Son worked for our redemption.