Black People : Difference Between Democracy and Freedom

European history doesn't support this.

Could you provide me with an example?

Citizen is a class of subject.
There is difference between a slave and a citizen. The primary difference being a citizen has a capacity for legal rights and duties. A slave only has the capacity for duties.

Both are species of servitude.

I agreed. :)

This is called right of conquest and dominion.
This is putting lipstick on the pig to obscure what it really is: might makes right.

Well there ya go:

lipstick_pig_080910_mn.jpg

Will there be another time that the indigenous people will realize that old proverb...and stop welcoming this kind of negativity? They have never brought peace. You can dress it up but no matter, ...

Could you provide me with an example?

In medieval England and Spain, Jews were a minority of the population. They were eventually driven out of both countries.

There are numerous historical examples of pogroms against Jews throughout European and Russian history.

The Roma, which you may know as Gypsies, were frequently targeted for oppression throughout many European nations.

The US, being a representative democracy, is replete with oppressions based on race, nationality, and religion.

In medieval England and Spain, Jews were a minority of the population. They were eventually driven out of both countries.

Both countries were monarchies at that time, so I dont think that is a good example to illustrate oppresion during democracy.

There are numerous historical examples of pogroms against Jews throughout European and Russian history.

Yes, anti-semitism has always being ingrained in european societies. But with the fall of totalitarian regimes such as the NSDAP and the rise of democracy, the situation has improved a lot, with most countries now having hate laws in their constitutions. Germany for example is very intolerant to all sorts of hate speech, and the offenders are heavily punished.

The Roma, which you may know as Gypsies, were frequently targeted for oppression throughout many European nations.

They still are, but they are not entirely without guilt. From what I have read, they are a problematic lot.

The US, being a representative democracy, is replete with oppressions based on race, nationality, and religion.

I dont know much about U.S history to be honest so it would be unethical for me to try to pretend I do. But I think with the election of Mister Obama, it helped to disperse some of that negative fog.

Both countries were monarchies at that time, so I dont think that is a good example to illustrate oppresion during democracy.

True. Given you have scoped the discussion, we can talk about Athenian democracy.

Chattel slavery was rampant in Athens.
Women and metics could not vote nor participate in politics.

Also, what of Juan Peron and his oppressions in Argentina during the 1950s?
Argentina was a democracy during that time, yes?

Hildegard von Krone said:
I dont know much about U.S history to be honest so it would be unethical for me to try to pretend I do. But I think with the election of Mister Obama, it helped to disperse some of that negative fog.

Well there was slavery, Indian removal courtesy of the US military, discrimination based on ethnicity or religion, taking of lands ... err.... "right of discovery" courtesy of the Marshall Supreme Court, State sponsored terrorism through such groups as the KKK, Jim Crow, Slave Codes, Black Codes, and much more !!

That's merely the tip of the iceberg ....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back