Health and Wellness : Diet and Nutrition..

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Aqil, May 27, 2001.

1. Aqil

Aqil Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +114
    It is becoming increasingly more important for people to know what foods they should not eat, because too many are eating the wrong foods, and don’t even know it! Then they wonder how they contract diseases like high blood pressure, gout, gallstones, kidney stones, arteriosclerosis (hardening of the blood arteries caused by excessive animal fat in the bloodstream – a major cause of heart attacks), strokes, serious skin problems (due to the consumption of too many acid foods), obesity, etc.

Recent medical studies have shown that men who consume large amounts of beef have a tendency to contract colon cancer, and women who did the same contracted vaginal cancer and cancer of the colon as well. Man is on a path of self-destruction as long as he continues to disobey God’s laws of right eating. (See Leviticus 3:17; 7:26 and 11:7-8.)

Those who have given this subject consideration will not deny the fact that man is a vegetarian by nature. It is obvious that his teeth are designed to masticate vegetables, fruits, nuts and grains, whereas the teeth of carnivorous animals – which are tusk-like – are best adapted for flesh-tearing, and are also grown apart, so as to prevent the lodgment of particles of decayed flesh in the animal’s mouth...

Man’s intestinal tract is also more complicated, and nearly three times as long as the intestinal tract of animals that live on flesh. Besides the shortness of the intestinal tract of carnivorous animals when compared with that of man, it is also very smooth, while the intestines of man have numerous folds and pouches...

What we see here is that the intestines of beasts of prey are constructed so that their diet of flesh – which quickly decays – may be eliminated in the shortest possible time. The liver of these animals is also of enormous size, and is very active, thus fully capable of neutralizing and eliminating twelve to fifteen times as much acid as the human liver...

It is now common knowledge that a balanced diet is absolutely necessary to our health and well being. Therefore, in balancing our meals we should always be certain to give preference to the alkaline foods (fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and most grains), while the acid-producing foods should be used sparingly (i.e., no more than two or three times a week)...

Acid foods are divided into two categories: organic acid (eggs, cheese, nuts and cereals) and inorganic acid (animal flesh, various animal by-products, all manufactured substances such as white sugar, white flour and all white-flour products). It is advisable to eliminate the inorganic substances altogether from your diet...

Alkaline foods consist of but one type, namely the organic variety. These foods are readily absorbed into the system, thus permitting the remineralization of the body. This being true, these products – i.e., fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts and most grains – should constitute 90% of the diet at all times, while the acid-producing foods should form the remaining 10%. Following this procedure, one may automatically maintain optimum health, and enjoy complete freedom from even what may be considered incurable diseases...

2. Afridancr

Afridancr Well-Known Member MEMBER

African Dance Instructor/Cultural Educator
    Ratings:
    +0
    Searching for an answer

I guess I've always known that fresh veggies, fruits and nuts/grains are healthiest for us but find it difficult to get on and stay on this road of nutritional balance. For one, I don't make very much money which makes it hard to purchase 'natural' foods. They are so much more expensive than the other foods. It's easier to go to McDonald's and get a burger or chicken sandwich for 99 cents and the corner store for a 50 cent Faygo soda. But in the long run it only hurts (me). I love vegetables, fruits, grains, nuts etc. Even though I love fish and chicken (no pork and limited beef) I can see myself living as a vegatarian. Looking at my vegetarian friends and co-dancers, it keeps them healthy in mind, body and spirit. They even have gorgeous skin. I have skin problems on my chin where I used to shave one or two hairs which created bumbs to blackheads and nothing works to clear it up. And my weight, I've been trying to lose weight since last year. I get my workout on through dance (everyday for the past two weeks) and have yet to lose anything. Especially around my waistline. (some say I'm not fat just solid which is true but there's still fat that NEEDS to be lost in my arms/back and waist.)

I used to eat just one meal a day but then, my metabolism would slow down and I'd get headaches. When I ate, it was too much of the wrong foods (burgers, buffalo wings, pizza).

The transition is very difficult from junk to health foods. I guess the main issue for me is cost. I eat healthy when I can afford to. I can cook Tofu in curry sauce, garden/veggie burgers, salads, organic yogurt, soybeans, soy/rice milk, organic cereals...you name it!! I get it from my father who's a health nut. Anyway, I think with me not being chosen for this dance company has motivated me to do what I gotta do no matter what the cost to get in shape and eat healthier so that I look/feel and perform better!!

Thank you much!
    Aminata

3. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    You're quite welcome, Aminata. You're almost there, just stay on point...and keep reading!

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    good info...........keep feeding knowledge around
    Thanks for sharing what we all need to know to
    stay health for a better life

5. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115
    " Following this procedure, one may automatically maintain optimum health, and enjoy complete freedom from even what may be considered incurable diseases..."

This is simply not true. The 90/10 rule is a good one and all of this information is correct with the exception of man being a vegetarian by nature and that we will AUTOMATICALLY enjoy complete freedom from incurable diseases.

THERE ARE VEGETARINS WHOM CONTRACT CANCER, HEART DISEASE, HIGH BLOOD PRESURE, AND THE REST OF THE INCURABLE DISEASES OUT THERE!

I don't disagree that 90% alkaline and 10% acid food will HELP us achieve optimum health....but by no means does that ratio alone provide us with good health. We have to become informed about whats good for us and whats not. Things that are TERRIBLE for us include milk, chlorinated water, soft drinks, sweetners (honey, molases, syrup etc.), and salt. In fact...milk and cholorinated water cause more cancer than anything on the planet accpet cigarettes. Obesity is caused by inactivity of the metabolism...PERIOD. We simply need to get more excercise and quit being lazy. Excercise increases the metablosim. Have any of us ever seen and obese ACTIVE athlete?? i think not.

So..yes we should control our meat intake and increase our alkaline intake but we also need to focus on other foods and substances and get enough excerise.

6. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    This is simply not true. Those who have given this subject consideration will not deny the fact that man is a vegetarian by nature. It is obvious that his teeth are designed to masticate vegetables, fruits, nuts and grains, whereas the teeth of carnivorous animals – which are tusk-like – are best adapted for flesh-tearing, and are also grown apart, so as to prevent the lodgment of particles of decayed flesh in the animal’s mouth...

You have proffered a personal opinion that is a lie...

I agree with much of what you say here...except for the fact that honey is a natural sweetener, and is good for you, thus it can bring the body no harm...

Since man is a vegetarian by nature, and the fact that animal flesh is dead food, and the fact that God forbids the eating of blood in the Bible, it would behoove us not to "control our meat intake," A007, but to eliminate animal flesh from our diets altogether...

7. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    I doubt we will ever agree on the subject of man being vegetarian by nature. We do what's in our nature. Babies learn to walk becasue it is in their nature. The are selfish (mine--me) because it is in their nature. If given the oppourtunity they would eat meat (as soon as it was possible) because it is in their nature. I have two sons...and unfortunately I was not there for the first 2 years of my youngest sons life...but he was fed the vegetarian lifestyle by his grandmother and ultimately he wanted meat whenever it was in his presence. Not because it was forced upon him...but because that is what he liked. It was natural to him.

"You have proffered a personal opinion that is a lie... "

You astonish me with this statement. You honestly believe that vegetarians don't contract these illnesses? WOW
    !!!!!!! I have PLENTY of personal stories to the contrary but I am sure you will dismiss them as lies...so I will endeavor to find examples that you will believe and then post their names and illnesses so you can see that I am not lying.

"I agree with much of what you say here...except for the fact that honey is a natural sweetener, and is good for you, thus it can bring the body no harm... "

This is not true...have you heard of botulism? an illness that can kill infants that comes from feeding infants HONEY.
    And regardless of it being natural...it can send diabetics into shock...too much of it can cause the body to not regulate insulin correctly.

Thanks your help in the area of typos and misspellings is always welcome.

peace

8. A007

Ratings:
    +115
    I Am a Vegetarian, and So Is My Dog
    By Barrington H. Brennen, June 26, 2002

DISEASE AND THE VEGETARIAN
    Vegetarians are not immune to diseases or illnesses. We do get sick. Vegetarians also get cancer and other life-threatening illness, but the risk is greatly reduced.

9. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    That is another lie, A007...

That is another lie, A007...

I'd appreciate that...

Looks as if YOU never heard of botulism, A007, or just misinformed re: its meaning. Let me explain:

Botulism is an extremely virulent, dangerous food poisoning caused by botulin, which is any of several toxins produced by botulinum, a bacteria that secretes botulin and found in improperly canned or improperly smoked food.

Now how is honey, a natural food, related to botulism? For you to imply such is ridiculous...And how do people become diabetic in the first place...pray tell!

10. Aqil

Ratings:
    +114
    What is this hogwash? Can't you provide a link?