Black People : Did You Know?????

Didya know?.......

In 1781,
The British recruited slaves to fight
along side them in return for their freedom.
However, they were stricken with smallpox
and distributed in the rebel plantations.

A group of blacks that fought for
the redcoats (British Soldier) was called
Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment.

Epiphany :heart:

Epiphany, that was very enlighting- these are fact that need to be told. As a matter of fact you have just helped me with my next topic for my Men's Fellowship group.

It should also be known that there are (2) two Buffalo Soldiers left living today. but only one realize what today is. I have a group at will be putting on a Military Ball in honor of them very soon. Hopfully in May of 2002. Due to the Sept. 11th problem we had to cancel it from Nov 10th, 2001.

It should also be known that most of the things we use to day was created by a black man (i.e. the refigurator, stop lights - so on and so on).

And to let you know to me all of your writing is outstanding.:cool: :cool:

Did You Know????

The Origins of The Statue Of Liberty

What we know of the Lady Liberty through
the history books is:

She was created by a French sculpter by the
name of Frederic August Bartholdi (1834-1904). To be given to United States as a gift
to represent Freedom, Liberty and an invitation to immigrants. He began construction in 1875. Completed in Paris in June of 1884 and presented to America by France on July 4, 1884. The statue was dismantled and transported on the ship French Frigate "Isere" in 1885, there was 350 pieces in 214 crates. The statue was accepted on Oct. 28, 1886, by then President Grover Cleveland.
In his acceptance speech Cleveland was quoted as saying:

"We should not forget that Liberty here made her home, nor shall her chosen alter be neglected."

The pedestal was constructed by a architect in 1877, his name was Richard M. Hunt.
The statue stands 151 feet
steps to crown is 354 steps (27 stories)
there are 25 windows in the crown
chains under the foot represents Liberty crushing the chains of slavery.
The statue's inscription was written by Emma Lazarus (1849-1887) and read:

"The New Collossus"

Not like the brazen giant of greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch,
whose flame
Is imprisoned lightning
and her name
Mother of Exiles.

From her beacon-hand
Glows world wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp"
cries she
With silent lips"

"Give me your tired, your poor
your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, the tempest-tost, to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

The original title of the statue was:

"Liberty Enlightening The World"

She was designated a national monument on
October 15, 1924

However, as of late, facts have come to the surface of the real, inspiration of the Statue of Liberty....

The original idea of the 151 statue in the harbor was the role black soldiers played in the ending of bondage in the United States. The idea came from a Historian, his name was Edourd de Laboulaye, he was chairmen of the French anti-slavery society
who together with Frederic Bartholdi proposed to the French Government, to the people of the United States through
the American Abolitionist Society. That it be a gift in honor of the black soldier's bravery in fighting and winning the battle for their freedom.

Before Bartholdi met Laboulaye....
In 1855-1856, he traveled with friends
to the Orient, during this trip he came across
the Nile. Bartholdi, on his first trip to Egypt, took noticed in amazement of the majestic qualities of the monuments and the magnitude of the civilization. He was amazed how they survived time. He stayed in Egypt for 8 months, to learn the culture and sketch/photograph the monuments. He was so fascinated he made sculpting statues his life's work. Upon his return home, he made models of statues. In 1869, he return to Egypt and used an image of ancient Egypt as the inspiration to sculpt the statue of the current Liberty.
When the statue was presented to the US minister to France in 1884, it is said that he objected to the dominant view of the broken shackles. It would be offensive to the US south, since the statue was a reminder of the beaten south.
The original statue has broken chains at her feet and in her left hand, which can be viewed in a Museum in France and at the Museum in New York.

Note:

Documentation of these facts, is said to be
found in the June 17, 1986, edition of The New York Post, along with the reason for the
broken chains at her feet.

The New York Times May 18, 1986, magazine Pt.2. Where there is an article
by Laboulaye.

French Mission or the French Embassy of the UN or in Washington DC and inquire
for original material on the Statue Of Liberty. Including the Bartholdi original model.

Epiphany :heart:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back