Did You Know...

Do you know the difference between margarine and butter?

Both have the same amount of calories. Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams, compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods. Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries, where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

Now for Margarine...

Very high in trans-fatty acids...

Triple risk of coronary heart disease...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol); lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)...

Increases the risk of cancers by up to five-fold...

Lowers quality of breast milk...

Decreases immune response...

Decreases insulin response...

And here is the most disturbing fact...

Margarine is but one molecule away from being plastic...

This fact alone was enough to have me think about avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance). You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things: no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies on or near it (that should tell you something). It does not rot or smell differently. It has no nutritional value; nothing will grow on it...not even those teeny-weeny micro-organisms will a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic...

It's Smart Balance for me from now on...

Malcolm said, "tell the truth and make it plain"

Peace Brother Aqil

This seems to be a very powerful, informative and very necessary question, basically, what do we know or do not know. I do know that margarine is one of the most destructive things you can put in your body and I’m glad you put this post in a short, concise and reproducible form. Though, I am aware of many of the things that you have eluded too, it is still good to be reminded and also get some extra information about margarine.

I need to do some research or you might have this on hand, how margarine, like many other destructive “unnatural” foods have multiple, what I would call, “scientific pseudonyms” so the consumer doesn’t know he is getting trans fatty acids/saturated fats, hydrogenized veg. oils, MSG and many other debilitating toxins or non-digestible substances, when they are reading the labels of their food purchases.

We need to always read the ingredients of everything we buy, even the products that are deemed to be natural or organic and know the “lingo” and the acceptable or the "more acceptable" standards.

I hope this thread has a long life; for there is a lot black people take for granted and there is a lot we just don’t know.

Peace,

Sun Ship

Peace,

I was rumbling through some notes and found the title of a book; I believe deals with the misrepresentation of food additives and their destructive compounds. I remember being impressed by this author in an interview many years ago.

Excitotoxins : the taste that kills
M.S.G., Aspertain, sugar, & hydronized vegatable proteins

by Russel H. Blaylocks(neurosurgeon)

Peace:)

The hand behind the hand

Here is an example of what I was eluding to:

Hidden Sources of MSG

The glutamate manufacturers and the processed food industries are always on a quest to disguise MSG added to food. Below is a partial list of the most common names for disguised MSG. Remember also that the powerful excitotoxins aspartame and L-cysteine are frequently added to foods and according to FDA rules require no labeling at all.

Additives that always contain MSG:

Monosodium Glutamate
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein
Calcium Caseinate
Textured Protein
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Plant Protein Extract
Sodium Caseinate
Yeast Extract
Autolyzed Yeast

Additives that frequently contain MSG:

Malt Extract
Bouillon
Stock
Natural Flavoring
Seasoning
Malt Flavoring
Broth
Flavoring
Natural Beef or Chicken
Flavoring Spices

Additives that may contain MSG or excitotoxins:

Carrageenan Enzymes
Soy Protein Concentrate
Soy Protein Isolate
Whey Protein Concentrate

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back